Browno

Benjamin Bloom & Kieran Maguire - Championship Finances

Interesting stuff.

Who is Maguire? Is he an ITFC supporter because saying that us signing Pukki was "luck" strikes me as rather churlish.

To recognise a striker, who more or less seems to have failed in Scottish football, as being of value in the Chumps is just testament to our excellent recruiting system, from scouting to evaluation to getting a deal on board.

Was us signing Zimmerman, Buendia, Leitner, Vrancic, Hernadez luck also, because, by that invalid assessment, it must have been.

A nonsense know-all who just states the obvious in any case.

Stick to ITFC old boy with your comments. We are fine thank you, luck or not.

P.S.That Bloom is a good chap though. Always gives a very balanced assessment on his very interesting blogs.

(In fact the very most sensible binner I have come across  ...ever!)

My word how lucky we have been in so many ways!

One point I didn't follow. He said he expected a significant drop in our wage bill for the current season, compared with last season, which is almost certainly going to prove to be the case.

But we went on to say that if we didn't go up this season he expected "a major [wage/financial] retrenchment" in 2019-20. I am not sure why he would think that, since our Championship income in 2019-20 should be roughly the same as this season.

And if anything, with the likes of Jarvis and Naismith finally off the books (perhaps Klose too) our wage bill might even be lower than currently. A player sale or two to balance the books but I don't think we will be faced with the kind of multi-million pound hole in the budget we had before.  Unless he is under the misapprension that this season we are getting a third year of parachute payments.

In simple terms purple, yes, he like many others are labouring under the misapprehension that we are still getting parachute payments. Which combined with his 'luck' line makes me question his position of authority.

Broadstairs, Kieran Maguire is a lecturer in football finance at Liverpool University, not an 1p5wich fan at all.

Purple, the pending drop in wages for next season is already there, given that Pinto, Naismith, Jarvis, McGovern and Klose (who may stay) are all out of contract in June. Hardly rocket science his observations - although, hopefully, completely blown out of the water by promotion bonuses 😉

Thanks GMF. I wasn't particularly impressed with him, tbh.

It also begs the question: "Is there now even a degree in football finance?" 

I've just taken up knitting (stitch one,pearl one) as a hobby. Do you think I can apply for a degree course in that? I could even be a lecturer at a stretch.

Hand knitted bespoke socks (any size, any colour) for £20 a pair. PM me.

Lecturer in Football Finance? Really? What does he come up with there that someone with a set of Club accounts and is a fag packet accountant couldn't? 

He talks about how excellent the recruitment of young players and the development of the Academy has been yet immediately says "So, to a certain extent they have had luck". How is that luck Mr MacGuire? Surely we have actually got people, in these development/recruitment positions that ACTUALLY did the job they were paid for? There's a turn up for the books. Luck my ****. Are the only clubs who don't rely on luck,  the ones with bucket loads of cash? 

Luck with Pukki? FFS, you never know, we might have a manager who knows what he is doing and knows how to get the best out of him, by playing to his strengths, and , perhaps (!) the Celtic lot, didn't have a scooby how to do that with Teemu. 

The problem with all this is it takes each season in isolation of others. So a club committed to building for the future gets no credit. They talk about being lucky with transfer fees but give no credit to the vision of cat one academy, getting it and maintaining it. Where is the credit for Madison? Is it the sale or the purchase and investment in him? How about the Murphys?

So on one hand Evans somehow gets credit for apparently 'investing' nearly 100m while destroying the structure of a football club and somehow being owed nearly 100m. On the other hand our owners have continually improved the structure of  football club and are owed nothing.

Lucky? You may as well believe in fairies riding unicorns at the bottom of the garden....

• Like 4

9 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

So basically we were just lucky. lol

I was enjoying this series until he said we were lucky, just lost all credibility with that comment. 

So who drew up the course work for his lectures ?

How was it qualified and measured - and against what ?

The man is an ar se, as much of the guff about Evans is incorrect

Our 'luck' with youth players is about sticking with Cat 1, not being afraid to replace coaches and investing in identifying young players, convincing them to join us (out on a geographic) limb then developing them.

What stopped the binners from signing Aarons and Lewis ? Why did Maddison join us rather than others who were linked with him. Godfrey and many others who may still be seasons away.

And is it luck that we have owners (all of them) who did not transfer Colney to an offshore Guernsey account without a word ?

17 hours ago, cornish sam said:

In simple terms purple, yes, he like many others are labouring under the misapprehension that we are still getting parachute payments. Which combined with his 'luck' line makes me question his position of authority.

I think you're being a bit harsh on him, Cornish. I mean, if we hadn't had the luck of the Anglo-Saxons founding Norwich as a settlement in the first place we wouldn't now have a city to have a football team...

• Haha 1

On 11/03/2019 at 07:24, GMF said:

Broadstairs, Kieran Maguire is a lecturer in football finance at Liverpool University, not an 1p5wich fan at all.

You might expect he'd know the recent change on parachute payments then. i.e. come straight back down and it's 2 years not 3. So putting the conversation into proper context it should have been "Norwich had to do something about their wage bill v income this season because of the loss of their parachute payments; next year even if they stay in the Championship they will be in a much better position financially as several big player contracts signed when they were last in the PL come to an end in July" 

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I mean, if we hadn't had the luck of the Anglo-Saxons founding Norwich as a settlement in the first place we wouldn't now have a city to have a football team...

Dead right, and if the Anglo Saxons had put their little village on the other side of the river, we'd be South Port not North Wic. 

The good news is Southport do play in yellow, but somehow the nickname "Sandgrounders" just doesn't work for me.