Sign in to follow this  
RuelFox

Who Would You?

If we went up who you want us 1) to buy and 2) to get rid of.

1) any of Che Adams (Birmingham), Matt Grimes (Swansea) as replacement for Tettey, Daniel James (Swansea), Fraser Forster (Southampton)

2) Nelson Oliviera, James Husband, Steven Naismith, Matt Jarvis and Ben Marshall 

Holly Willoughby or Rachel Riley.... oh wait... this thread is something different than the title suggests... 🤫😉

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, RuelFox said:

If we went up who you want us 1) to buy and 2) to get rid of.

1) any of Che Adams (Birmingham), Matt Grimes (Swansea) as replacement for Tettey, Daniel James (Swansea), Fraser Forster (Southampton)

2) Nelson Oliviera, James Husband, Steven Naismith, Matt Jarvis and Ben Marshall 

Not sure we could afford Adams, James  or Forster, Grimes? Possibly but I'm sure DF/SW will have their shopping list already. 

I think Naismith and Jarvis are gone anyway and we may take a hit on the other 3, they won't feature whatever League we're in, better to let them go and play elsewhere while saving on their wages. 

How about adding another dimension to this  and saying which positions would we need to upgrade if we went up?

Don't shoot me for this;

All our players have been magnificent, but I will start  with thinking that if we had a player with more end product than Hernandez, that would make us even stronger in that position. I actually thought he had quite a good game last night, and of course, set up the goal, but  he gets in great positions , does deliver a lot, but could beat players more often, when a cross is not an option.

If we lose Marshall, Husband and Passlack goes I'm worried about cover at fullback

Who's left? Just Pinto?

I think we'll keep Max and Jamal if we go up but badly need good cover for them

Edited by Chichcan

That’s one of the main issues in a nutshell, Crabby - clearly there is a step-up between the Champs and PL, so ‘improvements’ will be needed in various roles, but the balancing act is doing that while not spoiling the ‘togetherness’ in the squad.  I believe Fulham spent £100m+ and look where they are....clearly we’d not be in a position to do that, thankfully.

Agreed Branston, dare I say it, if Farke ran with this squad (If we are in the Prem), with just a couple of extra 'team' players and we got relegated, I would not be screaming for the manager's head. He has built something special here, only seen 2 or 3 times in my 45 years of turning up, and the football that is being played is probably the best I have ever seen. Very entertaining and this season, very effective

Edited by Crabbycanary3

I'd be tempted to look at picking off some of the best of the Championship.

No idea if they'd be in our price range but I'd happily have Tammy Abrahams or Oli McBurnie upfront, Bradley Dack in midfield, Ezri Konsa and Rico Henry is defence. 

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd be tempted to look at picking off some of the best of the Championship.

No idea if they'd be in our price range but I'd happily have Tammy Abrahams or Oli McBurnie upfront, Bradley Dack in midfield, Ezri Konsa and Rico Henry is defence. 

Even top Championship players are going for 10/15 million nowadays, I don't think we're in that market. 

Different rules in the Prem, we need 8 "homegrown" players in the 25 man squad with no restrictions on the number of them in the match day squad.

I suspect we will be shopping overseas due to the high price of UK talent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Molly Windley said:

Different rules in the Prem, we need 8 "homegrown" players in the 25 man squad with no restrictions on the number of them in the match day squad.

Good point but we have to be realistic and assume that we might come straight back down again. 

31 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Good point but we have to be realistic and assume that we might come straight back down again. 

I agree- I think if we go up it is a perfect time to look at bringing in some younger 'home grown' talent as we might have the budget for it. 

42 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Even top Championship players are going for 10/15 million nowadays, I don't think we're in that market. 

I think we have to be for one or two players. According to Tranfermarkt 17 out of the 20 teams spent at least £15m on one player and only one team didn't sign anyone for at least £10m (Spurs, who didn't sign anyone). 

So who could step up then if we get promoted.... team spirit is vital, these lads are good enough, deserve their chance... also option for 3-5-2 next year...

Oxborough / Krul in reserve.... i'd consider Joe Hart in goal..(quality and experience)   

Aarons, Klose, Godfrey, Zimmermann, Raggett, Lewis, Heise, Pinto

Trybull, Leitner, Thompson,

McLean, Cantwell, Hernandez, Buendia, 

Pukki, Morris, 

Think Tettey, Hanley, Steipermann and Vrancic, Krul will struggle to be starters but useful squad players. 

Who might step up from the U23s / U18s?    8 homegrowns above 

Goalkeeper, Right-back, Centre-back (possibly) and two forwards... of which 2 home growns would be helpful.   Glad we use the loan market solely for our lads to get experience!     Think it likely the club will pull rabbits from hats rather than the obvious options on here.    

Remi Matthews or Declan Rudd or Jed Steer to come back anyone - thinking long-term?    Would keep an eye on Cameron McGeehan also....  

Edited by ged in the onion bag

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Joe Hart in goal..(quality and experience) 

Why do you want to make our team worse?

30 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Oxborough / Krul in reserve....

I stopped at this point, Krul has done a great job this season, why on earth would we drop him for the totally inexperienced Oxborough ffs???

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think we have to be for one or two players. According to Tranfermarkt 17 out of the 20 teams spent at least £15m on one player and only one team didn't sign anyone for at least £10m (Spurs, who didn't sign anyone). 

I could see us spending £10 million (as part of a total package) on one player - if we go up. The wages are the key thing - both for future planning - if we were to get relegated and squad harmony.

If we go up I'd expect some Bundesliga 1 reinfocements, mostly from some of the lower budget mid-table teams, such as Hertha, or maybe some loanees from Dortmund.

4 hours ago, Molly Windley said:

3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I take it you’re referring to the home-grown rule here? Because financially buying several promising English players from the Champs could be crippling upon relegation unless we were careful with their contracts - which would in turn make the option of signing for us less attractive. I would expect more astute purchases of players with potential from abroad, with a view to using academy players to cover the home-grown rule if we do go down again.

4 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Agreed Branston, dare I say it, if Farke ran with this squad (If we are in the Prem), with just a couple of extra 'team' players and we got relegated, I would not be screaming for the manager's head. He has built something special here, only seen 2 or 3 times in my 45 years of turning up, and the football that is being played is probably the best I have ever seen. Very entertaining and this season, very effective

Spot on with this. Have watched a few lower prem games and we may just be quite competitive, if we are promoted and if we reinforce in a couple of areas. 

No wholesale changes for me.

4 hours ago, Molly Windley said:

Molly,  8 homegrown players aren't necessarily needed, If you don't have 8 homegrown 'oldies'. We have very few.  It's just you can't have more than 17 non-home grown over-21 y/o players in the squad. And most of our homegrown players wouldn't be in the 25 named squad because they were still under 21 at the beginning of this year (criteria for next season). Of our current squad, only Hanley, Krul, and Rhodes (those 'over 21' and not out on loan) would be named in the 25 as homegrowns, if the championship followed PL rules. We would name well under 25.  Marshall, Naismith, Raggett, Jarvis are the other homegrowns, over 21, but of course not part of things. We may even be a couple short of the 17 non homegrown players, as things stand. We have the squad regulars (11 out of the 18) + Passlack, Heise and Pinto, off the top of my head. 

Anyway, still a way to go this season.

Edited by makham

4 hours ago, Badger said:

I could see us spending £10 million (as part of a total package) on one player - if we go up. The wages are the key thing - both for future planning - if we were to get relegated and squad harmony.

You're right, wages are key. I'd be surprised if we don't buy a couple of players at that price though- clubs on the continent aren't stupid and know Premier League teams are loaded with TV money.

If we go up I think we'll sign winger, a forward, a fullback, a defensive midfielder and a keeper.  We'll almost certainly sign another crop of young players for the system too. Of course being in the Premier League as well as having our new youth buildings operational we'll be in an even better position to poach a few more Lewis, Aarons and Godfrey's.

Keeper will be interesting, lots of Premier League squads sign an old player to use as a home grown buffer player but I'm not sure the current regime would waste a space in the squad like that. I'd be surprised if Krul wasn't number 1 but I'd like us to sign genuine competition for him unless Ox/Johson/whoever whoever else we have in the yoof is ready to step up.

Those who will be leaving is obviously easier to predict. Wildschut, Husband, Oliveira, Jarvis, Naismith, Marshall, Passlack and Pinto. Presumably Cantwell and Klose would sign new deals. Will be interesting to see what happens with those on the fringes like Srbeny, McLean, Hanley as well as the two that will be back from injury Morris and Thompson. I suppose that leaves Raggett who I can't see making the grade here.

Whatever league we're in Webber and co will be in a good position to continue molding this squad.

Also worth saying, I haven't seen many Championship players this season that would massively improve our team.

I'd forgotten Wildschutt. Another overpriced panic buy from Neil's time here. When's his contract up?