Sign in to follow this  
East Rider

Changes for next game?

Good result, great goal and a difficult game considering the conditions and opposition.

But, are we going to see changes in the starting 11 on Wednesday?

Leitner in, McLean out for me. 

Harsh to change a winning team but Leitner is one of our three best players. If he's fit he should play. 

Stiepermann was poor but I'm not sure who we could replace him with without sacrificing the physicality and tenaciousness up the pitch which is so crucial to how we play. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Leitner in for McLean and Vrancic in for Stiepermann.

Agree with this, would like to see it

Leitner and Vrancic seemed to be warming up for a long time I’m surprised they did not come on sooner. I do not think either player looked very happy regarding the long warm up especially Leitner who kicked the side of the stand just in front of us.

Interesting that Vrancic came on tonight before Leitner though. Does that indicate who Farke would chose to bring back first?

Yes please. I would have changed it tonight and feel the performance showed why. It’s harsh on Mclean but the simple fact is that our midfield does not look as good and we do not control games as well without Leitner or Vrancic. There comes a point where you need to play your best players. 

its a pain to see evry game our best players Klose,Leitner,Vrancic to come after 88 min lol

Soon they will become unhappy and some rotation is healthy at the week with 3 games without doubt.

As I've previously said.....hope it doesnt take an unnecceasry loss for us to revert to picking our best players.

Dont change a winning team is usually the mantra but not when there are clearly better players to come back in

I' d imagine that even after winning away to PSG the suspended Pogba comes straight back into the Man Utd team this weekend

Don’t agree with dropping Stiepermann. Has been vital to the way we play and neither Vrancic or McLean are as good in the air or with their back to goal as Marco

• Like 1

Only change I’d make is Leitner in, McLean out. Another poor overall game from McLean and we need Leitners control of midfield

Leitner has to come in against Hull, I can't see him coming back in at Rotherham. Then an International break, then only 7 games left, a game or two to get back up to speed and the season is nearly over. 

Yes, I can’t see that you can change the back four after tonight’s performance. Leitner or Vrancic could start though to change things around.

I did put on the match thread that I thought McLean was brought in for Hoolahan as at that stage Stiepermann was playing a defensive role.

Many of the plaudits have rightly gone to Buendia and Pukki recently but Stiepermann has provided us with the opportunity for Buendia and Hernandez to work their magic. And as been said, wins his share of the aerial balls. And he seems to be able to run all game.

Personally I would just like to see Leitner/Vrancic for McLean. I think that would make us more solid in the middle. And we have to be aware of Bowen on Wednesday night. He is playing well for a team that has struggled at times. And James showed last night that someone with pace can upset our formation at times.

I would be very, very hesitant to drop Stiepermann. I think a lot of Pukki's good work is thanks to him. I do feel like it'd be a good time to bring in some fresh legs though, with 3 games in a week. Vrancic or Leitner in for McClean might be sensible.

We are better defensively with Leitner in the side good reason for him getting in side but has been injured and last time he made comeback only lasted 20 mins. Getting to PL will satisfy the players at not getting game time. McLean to make way but cannot fault his displays. Krul needs to concentrate and avoid inducing coronaries.

13 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Don’t agree with dropping Stiepermann. Has been vital to the way we play and neither Vrancic or McLean are as good in the air or with their back to goal as Marco

Yep, would not drop Stiepermann. I believe him and Buendia are pivotal to our attack despite the occasional blip in odd games.

Just shows how well our team has done that we are discussing possible changes yet we continue to win! 

It’s a great time to get all your pivotal players fit and ready for the final push too....Thompson back in training is a plus too.

I tend to agree above, Leitner is aquality player who would be a sure bet to start but McLean & Trybull along with Stiepermann don’t really deserve to be dropped.

Great position to be in, do you change a winning team or not?

1 hour ago, pete said:

We are better defensively with Leitner in the side good reason for him getting in side but has been injured and last time he made comeback only lasted 20 mins. Getting to PL will satisfy the players at not getting game time. McLean to make way but cannot fault his displays. Krul needs to concentrate and avoid inducing coronaries.

? Leitner only lasted 20mins? The last 20 mins of the match.

Certainly can fault McLeans displays. A couple of great goals and yes we are winning but overall I feel he has been poor and simply doesn’t control the midfield like Leitner (or Vrancic) does.

Team doesn’t need massive changes, everyone will want to go again and again to secure promotion. We still need to play our best side as every game is tough and we don’t want to be saying ‘what if’ at the end of the season.

Leitner in for McLean. Defence kept a clean sheet so all should start next game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Either Leitner or Vrancic need to start. We can't have our best players sitting on the bench.

Can't? We have had for several games now. Any complaints about the results?

17 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

There is just a feeling we have rode our luck a bit lately in games. Possibly Leitner can bring back some better possession based football and calm some nerves here. Who'd be a manager ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, East Rider said:

There is just a feeling we have rode our luck a bit lately in games. Possibly Leitner can bring back some better possession based football and calm some nerves here. Who'd be a manager ?

Yes, but didn't you have that feeling at times during our great run from the "Boro game onwards, when both Klose and Leitner or Vrancic played? We rode our luck on several occasions in that period too. That said, I'd be perfectly happy to see Leitner restored in place of McClean, but Stiepermann is unmovable IMO.

11 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Yes, but didn't you have that feeling at times during our great run from the "Boro game onwards, when both Klose and Leitner or Vrancic played? We rode our luck on several occasions in that period too. That said, I'd be perfectly happy to see Leitner restored in place of McClean, but Stiepermann is unmovable IMO.

Yes, I suspect I have thought and said that many times over this season and others. During some games you see small mistakes or passages which could go either way, but our scoring prowess generally overshadows these minor hiccups.

However my point still stands, we have in my opinion rode our luck a little recently and perhaps now a small change may assist us. 

It would be very unfair on the individual, I understand. But changing it may be the right thing to do.

5 minutes ago, East Rider said:

But changing it may be the right thing to do

In which case, I trust DF to do it, as I suspect do you!

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Don't think we were that great in midfield last night and a better side rhan Swansea would have caused us more problems. Leitner needs some game time and we need control of the midfield. We huffed and puffed last night but were sloppy in the pass.

Quite simple really, Leitner needs to start Wednesday for McLean. We had no creativity against Swansea, harsh on McLean but we need our best players playing so big decisions have to be made. Both Stiepermann and Pukki need that creative player behind them. Quite simple really.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, daisy said:

Quite simple really, Leitner needs to start Wednesday for McLean. We had no creativity against Swansea, harsh on McLean but we need our best players playing so big decisions have to be made. Both Stiepermann and Pukki need that creative player behind them. Quite simple really.

DF makes big decisions every match. It's just that he doesn't "simply" do what some of us think he should. He's had Leitner and Vrancic (and Klose) available for several weeks but not started them. You think that's because he's afraid to take "big decisions"?