Sign in to follow this  
hampton canary

Zimmermann doing good job as captain

I have been very impressed with Zimmermann as captain in the absence of Tettey. He seems to remain very calm at all times and sets a good example to the rest of the players. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He's been fantastic and has thrived with Godfrey next to him - maybe mentoring has added a new dimension to his game.

That cracking tackle on the 6 yard line against Pompey would be called world-class if it'd been in the PL.

When Zimmerman first arrived he was described as a leader, even though it was from the fourth tier of German football (how the 1p5wich fans laughed) he's brought those qualities with him, credit to DF/SW for identifying that. What's even more impressive is the bond he's formed with the fans, like he appreciates the opportunity given to him and recognizes the part that the fans play. Ultimately, the Premiership may be a step too far but he's earned the right to take us there and give it a go.

An absolute model professional who has been outstanding on and off the pitch. Can't think more highly of him tbh.

• Like 5

I concur with all of the above. One of my favourite City players; especially for his attitude. Yet another example of untested potential being spotted by our setup and being given the opportunity to develop it. 

• Like 1

Yes, probably one of the best examples of a coach bringing a player he knows and trusts to the club with him and said player actually performing admirably.

Tony Andreu anyone?? 🤪

54 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

Yes, probably one of the best examples of a coach bringing a player he knows and trusts to the club with him and said player actually performing admirably.

Tony Andreu anyone?? 🤪

To be fair to Andreu, I think responsibility lies wholly with Alex Neil. He simply misjudged the demands on players in the Championship. But I also think AN felt a responsibility towards Andreu, having been instrumental in getting him to sign for Hamilton in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

To be fair to Andreu, I think responsibility lies wholly with Alex Neil. He simply misjudged the demands on players in the Championship. But I also think AN felt a responsibility towards Andreu, having been instrumental in getting him to sign for Hamilton in the first place. 

It was probably influenced a little bit too much by heart over head.

I can't help but feel the Andreu deal was part an parcel of getting Neil - e.g we pay £1m for your best player if we can have your manager.  Turns out their best player wasn't good enough for us.

On Zimmermann, his mistakes have reduced and he has benefited from having Godfrey and Aarons, alongside him.  Krul's role and experience shouldn't be ignored either.  He's done very well to keep Klose and Hanley out of the side (as has Godfrey).

Got to be in with a shout for the BB player of the season trophy as he’s been immense.

Suspect it will end up with Pukki or Buendia but as a season goes, he’s been a standout player which is impressive as there have been many (Aarons, Stiepermann, Leitner, Lewis).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, westcoastcanary said:

Sometimes these things work... sometimes they don't!

Arguably though, the German 'fourth division' isn't as good as the SPL so I can understand why many didn't think Zimbo would cut it. I myself had serious reservations about his lack of pace but, wow, he's proven me and many others wrong. I love the guy.

I really feel we have a special coach and back room team, who have shown confidence in and brought the best out of these players.

• Like 1

On 07/03/2019 at 19:54, Indy_Bones said:

An absolute model professional who has been outstanding on and off the pitch. Can't think more highly of him tbh.

This exactly. He is everything many modern footballers aren’t. Amazingly I think we seem to have a few characters like him around the place too.

Christoph deserves all his success, when you consider where he came from and how he makes conscious efforts to improve his game. He’s one player I’d love to see spend his entire career here. He’ll be on with Rob Butler one day once he’s found a Norfolk wife to keep him here!

Those people that think the premiership would be a step too far for him, what do you base that on? His game on game improvements to me suggest he would quickly become a premiership class defender if he isn’t already. I remember Arsene Wenger being quite taken aback by him when we played them last year. Didn’t he ask Farke where on earth he found him? Something like that. 

He can do it, he will do it, have no doubts about that. A true canary legend in the making. 

Totally agree, what an improvement from his first few months, excellent captain material. 

He reminds me a lot of Jonny Evans in his prime.

He actually reminds me of grant Holt, though obviously a defensive version. People constantly doubting he can step up, the character of him and just the way he carries himself...

• Like 1

CZ must be pinching himself every day now. Look where he has come from and where probably he is headed. The Captain of a possible title winning team and into the prem. the stuff dreams are made of for players like him.

Can he step up? Why not!

Many others deemed unlikely by the experts have stepped up for Norwich in the past, and I suspect he may fit the bill as well.

Great leader at the moment and glad he is on our side.

I've liked Zimmermann ever since he arrived. He has epitomised the feel good factor, the real connection with fans. He seems very humble, works very hard and manages other team players with a maturity beyond his years. A fantastic recruitment. Would love him to play in the Premier League.

• Like 2

When he first came I thought he was dreadful and not suited to the English game at all. The improvement in him has been amazing. The same can be said about lots of the signings with vrancic  another who has improved out of sight. The coaching department deserve a huge amount of credit. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vlad666 said:

When he first came I thought he was dreadful and not suited to the English game at all. The improvement in him has been amazing. The same can be said about lots of the signings with vrancic  another who has improved out of sight. The coaching department deserve a huge amount of credit. 

I think it was simply the change to a much more physical and faster paced league, whilst adjusting to life in another country tbh.

Vrancic needed that season to get up to speed, and a few others have done the same e.g. Stiepermann, Zimm et al.

Wenger always claimed that overseas players needed a minimum of 8 months to truly start to settle, and we've seen the evidence of that here tbh.