Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Naismith back at Norwich

It all seems so unfair. A player who is happy to see out his contract by playing for another team just to ensure he gets his full wages and then we he is no use to anyone because of injury, he comes back to still keep getting his wages. 

15 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It all seems so unfair. A player who is happy to see out his contract by playing for another team just to ensure he gets his full wages and then we he is no use to anyone because of injury, he comes back to still keep getting his wages. 

Unfair to whom? I assume you mean to NCFC? 1. He didn't get injured on purpose! 2. NCFC negotiated the contract, fully aware of the stage he was at in his career. 3. It was beneficial to both NCFC and Naismith to loan him out. I don't see anything unfair to either party, just a misfortune for the player and his loan club.

• Like 7

There should be a law against highway robbery! Will be glad to see the back of Naismith & Jarvis come this summer, it’s like the final cleansing of the old ways of buying journeymen who weren’t ever worth their fees and wages.

credit to Webber, had my doubts about him but he’s totally proved his full value here, I was totally wrong about him.

• Like 1

I expect that Newcastle might feel they were 'short changed' over Jacob Murphy. Southampton similarly with regard to Nathan Redmond.

In the light of the above thought that we could break a contract because of how things have gone with a player... performance, injury etc maybe the above two clubs could end any staged payments to us.

Perhaps the season ticket holders of Ipswich and City should see a partial refund and surcharge over their respective payments relative to how things have turned out for each of them.

Should we release Thompson on that basis ?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Haters will always hate..

yo, yews down wid de kidz bro

7 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Yo Bro, who's down wid de binnerz indyhood..

dem's hidin' indy hoodies,

along wid de Riverenders  who is me bedriddin'

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, It's Character Forming said:

I would make a small wager that we release him pretty soon...

like at the end of June ?

• Haha 1

The budget gets spent every season. We never see a penny of it. It all goes on players. We even put extra in to update the academy. Nice little payday coming up if we go up🙃

Just now, nutty nigel said:

The budget gets spent every season. We never see a penny of it. It all goes on players. We even put extra in to update the academy. Nice little payday coming up if we go up🙃

for all of us

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

As a union rep would you insist his employer stand by the contract😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Southampton similarly with regard to Nathan Redmond.

I mean, he's started all but one League game this season but sure ..

• Like 2

As a union rep would you insist his employer stand by the contract?

That is a fair point Ricardo. But it is quid pro quo. It would be difficult to argue with an employer, in the real world, not the surreal football one, that an employee didn't want to work for him but for a company elsewhere but still get paid by him. And then has an accident and wants the compensation to be paid by his original employer.

In a world where workers rights are being diluted by the reluctance to offer contracts, 40 hour weeks, statutory holidays on the day they occur, monthly pay only, I could go on, I find it strange that anyone could sympathise with this situation. But it seems that because its football its OK. I probably chose the wrong words but what I meant was Hearts should be sorting this out not us.

I don't blame him personally, I don't know him and he might be a super chap but he is the one involved in this ludicrous situation that is probably preventing someone else important joining the club.

4 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Unfair to whom? I assume you mean to NCFC? 1. He didn't get injured on purpose! 2. NCFC negotiated the contract, fully aware of the stage he was at in his career. 3. It was beneficial to both NCFC and Naismith to loan him out. I don't see anything unfair to either party, just a misfortune for the player and his loan club.

Sorry guys, I find myself agreeing with everything westcoast has said.... I'm going for a lie down. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

As a union rep would you insist his employer stand by the contract?

That is a fair point Ricardo. But it is quid pro quo. It would be difficult to argue with an employer, in the real world, not the surreal football one, that an employee didn't want to work for him but for a company elsewhere but still get paid by him. And then has an accident and wants the compensation to be paid by his original employer.

In a world where workers rights are being diluted by the reluctance to offer contracts, 40 hour weeks, statutory holidays on the day they occur, monthly pay only, I could go on, I find it strange that anyone could sympathise with this situation. But it seems that because its football its OK. I probably chose the wrong words but what I meant was Hearts should be sorting this out not us.

I don't blame him personally, I don't know him and he might be a super chap but he is the one involved in this ludicrous situation that is probably preventing someone else important joining the club.

Not entirely true. Our company has often seconded employees to other companies (i.e. "loaned them their services"). We still pay the employee, but get a reimbursement back from the hosting company via a monthly invoice. What is very clear in this situation is that the employee is still our responsibility (like Naismith is Norwich's). It is like there is a bubble of our company around the employee - if they trip over a cable, stub their toe or cut their fingers off in the laminator, it is our company's responsibility to provide the workcover, insurance and wages (as we still pay them as our employee).

I suspect the loan situation is similar, with  the triangular relationship between Hearts, Norwich and Naismith. Hearts pay a % of his wages as a fee for a Norwich player's services, but he remains, for all intents and purposes, an employee of Norwich City. Therefore, if he is injured, we are responsible. 

This makes sense, otherwise no club would loan a player from higher divisions if they were held responsible for the costs of a player's treatment if they are injured while on duty for the hosting club. Also the home club would presumably have greater resources to provide optimal treatment as well.

As for your point about Naismith's attitude of not wanting to work here - well that is subjective, but not really relevant in an employment relationship. He works for Norwich City Football Club, regardless of his own feelings about that. He if wanted out - he could have terminated his contract.

Edited by CanaryChris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CanaryChris said:

If they trip over a cable, stub their toe or cut their fingers off in the laminator

Been a while since I've used a laminator, but would be impressed if you managed to cut your finger off using one?!?

Thats correct, I have literally nothing of real value to add here...

Moving on 😉

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Sorry guys, I find myself agreeing with everything westcoast has said.... I'm going for a lie down. 

There, there, you always knew you could. Now, while you're there, let's go reread my other 2193 posts ............. :classic_laugh:

15 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Any cost in his treatment will be down to us, on top of his wages

Insurance will probebly come into play, and most injurys for loan players are managed by parent clubs, probebly to prove to the insurance companies that everything is done properly

Our company has often seconded employees to other companies

What does your Company do Chris? I am not trying to disagree with you but the majority of people in this country who probably work for minimum wage or just above do not work for companies who second to others. Most are called factories or retail premises.

Its a bit like the MeToo movement and the gender pay gap. Most people I know still working share the same rate of pay, once again the minimum wage. All too often the minority assume to speak for the majority.

17 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

Any cost in his treatment will be down to us, on top of his wages

Poor contract negotiation with Hearts there - should have ensured that all costs of the operation should rest with the club where the injury occurs.  Club is losing it!  :classic_wink:

Yeah to be fair. I don’t think Jarvis or Naismith wanted this pathway in their career. Both came here with good intentions and both were international players with decent CV’s. It could have gone the other way. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you accept things as they are.

Edited by Michael Starr
  • Like 1