Sign in to follow this  
pete

Huck's. get. real

2004 team better than current side.. I don't think so. Not the creativity or scoring ability of this team. Ashton was different class could have been one of the very best.

I’d take Hucks & Ashton any day, the rest would be pretty close between the two squads......Can’t really argue about that assessment to be fair.

I can only assume that this was part of the motivational plan for the current squad, otherwise it seems like a dim thing for Hucks to say, IMHO. Our style of play is so different to that in 2004, and I'm not sure how the 2004 squad would cope with the high pressing and quick passing, and I'm sure the current squad is fitter, so would expect some late goals.

Not a bad thing to keep the current squad's feet on the ground - except when defending balls into the box.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pete said:

2004 team better than current side.. I don't think so. Not the creativity or scoring ability of this team. Ashton was different class could have been one of the very best.

Always a good idea to check your facts before you post Pete. Ashton joined Norwich in 2005!! He wasn't part of the team that got promoted in 2004. (Same goes for you Indy - slapped wrist!). 

If you rate that team in that season and this team in this then I don’t see a problem with it.

Indeed Thirsty, I didn’t even think about that, old age! But Ashton was superb in his brief time here.

Do you really expect him to say differently?

ACN had Grant Holt on recently, and he added the 2011/12 in the mix too. Of course he felt that side was better than 2004 and 2019 sides. 

As for the Ashton reference, its not correct. He wasn't part of the 2004 promotion winning side. 

Its a fun debate, I think we were blessed to witness Hucks and Grant in there prime, similarly to Pukki this year. The 2004 side won the league, but couldn't adapt to the premier league like the 2012 side could, who finished 2nd. Perhaps we need to throw in the 2015 Wembley winning team too? 

My eleven from the current team and the ones mentioned above would be;

Green                                               Manager: Lambert 

Aarons   Mackay  Flemming  Drury 

Howson  Holt  Hoolahan       

Holt  Pukki  Huckerby 

Subs; Ruddy, Edworthy, Leitner, S.Jackson, Redmond, Hernandez. 

Main criteria, favouritism! 

Hucks makes a good point about this current side’s defensive prowess not being up there. His vintage won more and lost fewer games (pro rata), too.

Fair comments made though about style, speed of passing and pressing today.

Was it Hucks also who pointed out there were more ‘traditional ‘ clogger  teams back then in D1, whereas now in the Champs most teams are more skill and speed oriented in comparison. Discuss.

25 minutes ago, Il Pirata said:

ACN had Grant Holt on recently, and he added the 2011/12 in the mix too. Of course he felt that side was better than 2004 and 2019 sides. 

As for the Ashton reference, its not correct. He wasn't part of the 2004 promotion winning side. 

Its a fun debate, I think we were blessed to witness Hucks and Grant in there prime, similarly to Pukki this year. The 2004 side won the league, but couldn't adapt to the premier league like the 2012 side could, who finished 2nd. Perhaps we need to throw in the 2015 Wembley winning team too? 

Howson  Holt  Hoolahan       

Holt  Pukki  Huckerby 

Lambert manager? Who he, I can't seem to remember him?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Indy said:

If you rate that team in that season and this team in this then I don’t see a problem with it.

Indeed Thirsty, I didn’t even think about that, old age! But Ashton was superb in his brief time here.

He sure was! 

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Lambert manager? Who he, I can't seem to remember him?

I must qualify - 2011-12 Lambert! Not the classless 2019 version! 

1 hour ago, Il Pirata said:

Howson  Holt  Hoolahan       

Holt  Pukki  Huckerby 

Fleming?  Which one - the one who won Player of the Year for 2003/4, or the bloke who was standing next to most of the goalscorers against us in 2004/5 ?

I still wish we'd kept Malky instead. Yes he was slow, but both CBs don't need to be quick, and he'd have won far more of those headers which CF missed - at least he'd have bothered to jump.

Tin hat is on.

Howson? I'd have Leitner, Vrancic, Buendia, probably Trybull, and a younger Tettey over him! I'd certainly find room for Holty and Huckerby though.

Sorry Hucks, the intensity the current team plays with would blow the 04/05 team away...

Edited by First Wazzock
  • Like 2

Maybe at the end of the season we can talk about comparisons.

Don't get me wrong I really rate our current side it's fantastic but 03/04 lifted the trophy and all have winners medals, this side has achieved nothing yet.

1 hour ago, First Wazzock said:

Sorry Hucks, the intensity the current team plays with would blow the 04/05 team away...

This, as Hucks says, there's more football played in the Championship today.  Yes,the 04 side would be more effective against a Millwall or the physical performances of Blackburn or Rotherham. They'd struggle against the high press of Leeds and even Friday's opponents Swansea would give them the runaround with their possession based game. If the 04 side played today's 11 it's almost impossible to pick a winner. As a joint Team,

Green

Aarons 

Zimm

Fleming 

Drury

Tettey

Buendia 

Leitner 

Francis 

Huckerby 

Pukki 

I don’t think you can directly compare two sides playing 15 years apart. Even in the championship, football changes a lot over fifteen years. This side would probably beat the 04 side, but most 04 sides would probably beat their 1989 counterparts as well.

In terms of comparing the respective sides against the opposition they faced at the time, I think it’s probably fairly close. The current side plays much better football in terms of passing and pressing but the 2004 side was better defensively and, arguably, a stronger side in comparison to the competition of the day.

Can you see us finishing 15 points clear of third this season?

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

It's hard to judge because football at this level has dramatically changed.

• Like 1

Agree with all the comments, it's a different era so mighty difficult to compare. This team needs to achieve promotion first and then we can sit down, remise and discuss things like this. 

On 07/03/2019 at 14:38, pete said:

As been pointed out Ashton joined too late during the following season so wasn't present in the promotion team.

I have never been a huge fan of Ashton if I'm honest.Was great in the prem and almost did enough to keep us up but in the following season I thought he was very average. And didn't look like he wanted to be here. 

On 07/03/2019 at 15:46, Il Pirata said:

Howson  Holt  Hoolahan       

Holt  Pukki  Huckerby 

That front three 👌

22 hours ago, First Wazzock said:

No question. Each team in it’s day was a promotion winning side. So credit to each of them. But this team we are watching now; the pace, the precision of pacing, the intensity, the coherency and connectiveness from front to back, combined with the instinctiveness of combined passes and pull the trigger in front of goal, would blow the other teams off the field.

Each of the teams discussed where fantastic in their day, but what we are seeing in the team at the moment is special. Not only is it special, but it’s also transposable into the premiere league. This team won’t have to retool when they get promoted. The system is already in place.

Full respect to Hucks & Holty. Hands down legends of the club. But sports is a transitional world where the bar is raised every generation and even with that taken into consideration, the current team would beat the other two.

Just now, CirclePoint said:

No question. Each team in it’s day was a promotion winning side. So credit to each of them. But this team we are watching now; the pace, the precision of pacing, the intensity, the coherency and connectiveness from front to back, combined with the instinctiveness of intricate passing and pulling the trigger in front of goal, would blow the other teams off the field.

Each of the teams discussed where fantastic in their day, but what we are seeing in the team at the moment is special. Not only is it special, but it’s also transposable into the premiere league. This team won’t have to retool when they get promoted. The system is already in place.

Full respect to Hucks & Holty. Hands down legends of the club. But sports is a transitional world where the bar is raised every generation and even with that taken into consideration, the current team would beat the other two.

Howson  Holt  Hoolahan       

Holt  Pukki  Huckerby 

Holt is putting it about isn't he? Is one the player and the town is in centre midfield?

Sorry to be sarcastic. But I thought you were just picking players with double letters at first. Only I think Fleming only had one M.

So

Keelan

Aarons Butterworth Shackell Mills

Hoolahan Crook Llewellyn (Double double)

Channon Pukki Sutton

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Howson  Holt  Hoolahan       

Holt  Pukki  Huckerby 

Holt is putting it about isn't he? Is one the player and the town is in centre midfield?

Sorry to be sarcastic. But I thought you were just picking players with double letters at first. Only I think Fleming only had one M.

So

Keelan

Aarons Butterworth Shackell Mills

Hoolahan Crook Llewellyn (Double double)

Channon Pukki Sutton

Gary Holt?