Sign in to follow this  
cornish sam

Aspiring to the Swansea model

It's certainly not the Udders model because it is grounded in the determination to implement change in the final year of parachute payments. This much derided at the time decision is proving far more successful than the much pined for Villa model of throwing more and more cash in blind faith that more money means more success.Ā 

And whilst it's fashionable to criticise previous years it should be remembered that without the commitment to attaining and keeping our cat one academy the current success wouldn't be happening.

13 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

What we see currently, based on the Huddersfield methods , and the financial position we found ourselves in after relegation,Ā  is proving successful.

No, because the fundamentals of the model are nothing to do with Huddersfield or our particular financial position; they embody the approach adopted by virtually every top level club in the world outside the UK, and in the UKĀ increasingly within the EPL and ChampionshipĀ (not to mention League One clubs such as Barnsley). It would also be a mistake to think that this "model" is inflexible in the event that e.g. the evolution of the game renders a certain tactical approachĀ out-dated. The adoptedĀ style is grounded onĀ basic essentialsĀ of the modern game, such as high technical ability, presupposed by any tactical or other shift.Ā 

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Huddersfield managed it without Cat One.

What part of "it's certainly not the Udders model" was beyond you šŸ™ƒ

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

What part of "it's certainly not the Udders model" was beyond you šŸ™ƒ

Hadn't realised i had quoted you. šŸ¤”

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hadn't realised i had quoted you. šŸ¤”

My mistake. Didn't realise you were suggesting we shouldn't have achieved cat one. Interesting...

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

I was sure we were meant to aspire to the Brighton model.

That guy "bumped his own thread" (euphemism?) until the end of August..Ā 

Ā 

32 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

No, because the fundamentals of the model are nothing to do with Huddersfield or our particular financial position; they embody the approach adopted by virtually every top level club in the world outside the UK, and in the UKĀ increasingly within the EPL and ChampionshipĀ (not to mention League One clubs such as Barnsley). It would also be a mistake to think that this "model" is inflexible in the event that e.g. the evolution of the game renders a certain tactical approachĀ out-dated. The adoptedĀ style is grounded onĀ basic essentialsĀ of the modern game, such as high technical ability, presupposed by any tactical or other shift.Ā 

Apart from using Webber in the same role he was at Huddersfield, a German manager who was known to Webber and very similar to Wagner from the same German club, buying players using a scouting connection that Webber had developed, and our absolute need to reduce cost owing to the financial position we found ourselves in once the parachute payments has ceased. Other than any of those, you are entirely correct Westcoast, it had nothing to do with any methods employed by Huddersfield, nor our financial position. We simply followed "virtually every top club outside of the UK" .

I'm also not sure when anyone said the "model" (I only use the word as that was used in the original post) was inflexible.

23 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

My mistake. Didn't realise you were suggesting we shouldn't have achieved cat one. Interesting...

Where have i even remotely suggested that ' we shouldn't have achieved cat one ' ?

I did however state that promotion can be achieved without it.

Ā 

Edited by TIL 1010

We wouldn't be where we are without cat one.

You guys falling over each other to credit the Norwich model to other clubs cracks me up šŸ™ƒšŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

That thread was the one Tilly. Page seven šŸ™ƒ

How can you say that we would not be where we are without cat one ? That is an opinion but not a fact but i posted a fact that Huddersfield achieved promotion without it.

Still waiting for you to tell me were i suggested we should not have achieved cat one by the way.

Edited by TIL 1010

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Apart from using Webber in the same role he was at Huddersfield, a German manager who was known to Webber and very similar to Wagner from the same German club, buying players using a scouting connection that Webber had developed, and our absolute need to reduce cost owing to the financial position we found ourselves in once the parachute payments has ceased.

My point is that there are, and were two years ago, and have been for much longer than that,Ā good reasons for taking the path we now have taken, totally irrespective of who was appointed DoF, who he picked as head coach, or the precarious financial situation the club was in at the time. McNally's "Football Board" (or whatever it was called), was introduced for the kind of reasons that warranted going much further and introducing then what we have now.Ā If it had been introduced then, a different DoF would almost certainly have Ā been appointed, and we might have been recruiting not from Germany but e.g. Spain, with knock-on consequences of various sorts. You are mistaking the "occasion" of our adopting the model with the actual modelĀ itself.

• Like 1