Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Kiwi

Centre Backs

I agree with most that Hanley is the least gifted as passing, pacy centre back, which Godfrey does well.  Zimmermann has been a revelation and Klose is a cultured player who calms all around him when he plays.  If we weren't on the run we are, I'd suggest Klose and Zimmermann are our best pairing, but Godfrey hasn't really done anything wrong, apart from being a fraction of a second late to the Gayle goal at West Brom and one other that escapes me at the moment.  

As has been said, we're outscoring the opposition, so to some extent it doesn't matter if we concede the odd goal, but if the goals do dry up (can't see that happening with Buendia, Hernandez, Stiepermann and Pukki on form), then we might need to look at changing the CB pairing.

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

Godfrey hasn't really done anything wrong, apart from being a fraction of a second late to the Gayle goal at West Brom and one other that escapes me at the moment.  

Re. the Gayle goal, Parma -- if I remember correctly -- made a good point about the spread of responsibility when the defensive shield is breached as in that case, concluding that at least three or four others contributed to Godfrey being exposed to Gayle's clever run (plus of course the credit that has to be given to Gayle and his fellow attackers).
The point I would make, though, is that, irrespective of whether BG has or hasn't done anything noticeably wrong, the stats show that the Zimmerman/Godfrey partnership is somewhat less effective than the Zimmerman/Klose partnership when it comes to denying the opposition good quality chances. 

On the other hand, and pertinent to your saying that "it doesn't [much] matter if we concede the odd goal", the stats also show that we create more chances ourselves with Z/G at the back than we do with Z/K. 

That's all fine as of now, but I'm not sure we can be so sanguine when contemplating the possibility of facing even more incisive attacking and even more obdurate defending next season. 

• Like 1

If / when, we get promoted I've no doubt Zimbo will look out of his depth in first few games in Premier, but boy as he's shown this year, he's the best student of the game I've ever seen at Norwich.  If he doesn't play for Germany in 2022 World Cup, it will only be because Germany don't qualify.  How's that for a brave call? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

If / when, we get promoted I've no doubt Zimbo will look out of his depth in first few games in Premier, but boy as he's shown this year, he's the best student of the game I've ever seen at Norwich.  If he doesn't play for Germany in 2022 World Cup, it will only be because Germany don't qualify.  How's that for a brave call? 

If he does, I'll put money on you quoting this post to remind us!

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

If he does, I'll put money on you quoting this post to remind us!

I'm not forensic enough like Tilly or Nutty to do that!😉

On the CB front, that Dutch guy for Swansea looked like he'd fit into our back line quite nicely. He moved the ball confidently and was pretty good at the defensive side too...

I can’t be arsed to look it up, but I have the impression that Timm is probably the highest scorer of our CBs, so has more value as he adds that extra dimension. 

Also, someone posted on here a while ago that Timm is independently wealthy (beyond that of a ‘normal’ footballer, they’re all wealthy!) so the decision to stay would be influenced by other factors more than it might be. He’s said he likes living in Norfolk, and the club is clearly a great place to be playing at the moment, so if we want him I would expect Webber could persuade him to stay.

I’m surprised ‘arsed’ got through the swearing filter. Now I’m tempted just to post a stream of rude words to see what can be sneaked in.

Which has randomly reminded me of Morty and his use of ‘cockwomble’. 🤣 I’m going a bit OT now...

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I can’t be arsed to look it up, but I have the impression that Timm is probably the highest scorer of our CBs, so has more value as he adds that extra dimension. 

Why do I waste my time emphasising stats over "impression" (sigh)

Timm Klose:  103 appearances, 9 goals (11.44 per goal)

Ben Godfrey:  32 appearances 3 goals (10.66 per goal)

"Nuff said :classic_biggrin: