Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Kiwi

Centre Backs

I’m interested to know peoples thoughts on Hanley and Klose. First choice CB's at the start of the season but unlikely to start a game for the rest of the season, barring injury. Will they stay on or look to go elsewhere to get game time?

I'd like to think they'll stick around.  Pre-season always seems to be a genuine place to stake a claim under Farke's rule, and they will have witnessed that this season (and the previous one, with Klose).

With Klose’s contract coming to an end you suspect he may just leave.

Harder to say with Hanley, will be one of the biggest earners so a waste if just sat on the bench. He was keen to leave Newcastle after their promotion and was told he wouldn’t be getting regular game time, can’t see why he’d make a different decision now with Norwich. 

But will we say that to Hanley? Godfrey and Zimmerman are first choice on the “earn your place and you keep it” principle, at least that’s how it appears to me. If one was injured, Timm or Grant’s chance would come.

Promotion would surely alter the equation in both cases, increasing the likelihood of at least an extension for Klose, while increasing the likelihood of departure for Hanley.

• Like 1

I think Klose stays if we go up, I think he knows that he's a part of our strongest 11 and will fancy his chances of keeping the shirt next time he gets a chance. To be honest if we're promoted I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't strengthen in that position at all.

Maybe Bethnal is right about Hanley, perhaps he would want away. In which case I wouldn't put it past this scouting team to pull us the next VVD out from some corner of Europe.

50 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

I think Klose stays if we go up, I think he knows that he's a part of our strongest 11 and will fancy his chances of keeping the shirt next time he gets a chance. 

Not sure I agree with that, it's not like Farke has rushed him back into the side after injury,  the other two have managed without him. He's also at an age where he needs regular games, not least because he still has an International career to consider. If he stays, he'll still be expensive and Webber's likely to want to invest that money on someone younger and more likely to improve what we have. I like Timm, who doesn't? but however the season ends I'm not sure there'll be a place for him next year. 

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Not sure I agree with that, it's not like Farke has rushed him back into the side after injury,  the other two have managed without him. He's also at an age where he needs regular games, not least because he still has an International career to consider. If he stays, he'll still be expensive and Webber's likely to want to invest that money on someone younger and more likely to improve what we have. I like Timm, who doesn't? but however the season ends I'm not sure there'll be a place for him next year. 

I agree SR. We haven't always learned about sentiment when promoted in the past and extended CB careers of those who weren't up to the Prem. I think Webber will be different and we may not see either Timm or Grant next season if we do go up.

The toughest part of the pitch to call for next season, raises a really interesting conundrum, Timm and Grant no doubt have the ability and Grant will want a crack at the prem, who can blame him should we get there, why wouldn't he stay - what really excites me is the youth we could attract next season and I trust this administration to make the right calls on it too...

Would like Klose to stay - and he will get plenty of game time along with Godfrey and Zimbo - three excellent centre backs to share the load. Hanley is excellent to and would like him to stay too, but the competition for a first team place is fierce and he would have to accept he is not first choice and wait for his chance. Whether he is prepared to do that, no-one knows, but it might be a case of him moving on and we get another up and coming player to be the fourth CB.

Farke hasn't rushed any of the previously injured players back, that includes (arguably) our best player in Leitner. Likewise Vrancic who was only injured for a couple of games, plenty of managers would have put him straight back in. The bench will have to wait for form to drop off, injuries or suspensions to get their chance but they also must know that if they perform when they are called upon the shirt will be theirs. As I've said before, I can't see why Klose wouldn't fancy his chances of keeping the shirt once he's back in. If he's a regular in the Premier League then I'm sure the Swiss manager will give him the call (didn't he get back in earlier on this season already?).

Agree that Norwich shouldn't be sentimental with players but I don't think extending that contract would be that. Maybe you don't rate Klose as highly as I do because I think he's our best central defender.

Money is of course the big issue, if the club were to offer a new contract it would obviously be on reduced terms. It might end up in a Tettey like situation where it would depend on what he gets offered elsewhere.

Just now, lake district canary said:

Would like Klose to stay - and he will get plenty of game time along with Godfrey and Zimbo - three excellent centre backs to share the load. Hanley is excellent to and would like him to stay too, but the competition for a first team place is fierce and he would have to accept he is not first choice and wait for his chance. Whether he is prepared to do that, no-one knows, but it might be a case of him moving on and we get another up and coming player to be the fourth CB.

This would be my fave scenario too Lakey. Will hinge on Timm and his first team 'desires' I guess?

1 minute ago, Drazen Muzinic said:
3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

This would be my fave scenario too Lakey. Will hinge on Timm and his first team 'desires' I guess?

Although Timm isn't playing in the first team at the moment, he must know he is valued as one of the top players at the club and knows he will get the chance to play in the first team again when a chance arises to do so - and then it would be up to him to play well enough to keep his place.  One of the things that I imagine the players greatly appreciate is that they know that under this manager, if they do well and the team is doing well, they will keep their place in the team.  They just have to wait for their chance and take it when it comes. 

Don’t particularly rate Hanley. For me next season if we go up, we go with Klose, Zimmerman, Godfrey and one other (but not Hanley) - depending on what we’ve got to spend, either a first choice to challenge/replace one of those three in the starting line up or a young cheapish centre half as back up.

If we don’t go up, we go with Hanley, Zimmerman, Godfrey and bring in a cheap centre half as back up.

Keeping Klose would be nothing to do with "sentiment". He's a proven, top level quality CB with international experience, and has the attributes required for our style of play. Godfrey in contrast has played CB for less than half a season, in the Championship! Are we really suggesting that we could safely go into the EPL next season with BG as our first choice LCB backed up by someone less experienced and proven than Klose? 

I tend to agree, Hanley is a good Championship defender but would get found in the premiership, just not quick enough or fast enough in his thought process for top flight football.

If or should the be whenwe go up....there might be the occasion to play three central defenders with wing backs I can see Klose getting more game time alongside Godfrey & Zimmermann.

It would be good to sell Hanley and buy young quality CB, for my tupence worth.

6 hours ago, lappinitup said:

Sean Raggett?

The Forgotten Man...

Unlike previous promotion seasons, I do feel that this team requires little surgery to compete in the prem. I have read various articles about the widening yawn between Prem and Championship football, but do not really see it - I mean Burnley, Southampton, Brighton and even Newcastle (especially if Rafa leaves) are no great shakes and would be battling in this league if you ask me. 

With young defenders, and good experienced ones (Klose, Hanley) I think we are fine, maybe could bring in one more, but would have to lose one  I'm sure (probably Hanley, though I do think he has his place as a strong, no-nonsense CB). I am much more worried about the DCM role. Trybull will struggle methinks in the prem and Tettey's legs ain't what they used to be. Screening the front 4 (or 5) could be where we need the most investment. A keeper to compete with Krul wouldn't go amiss either.

If promoted, I agree with the poster above that we might play 3 (5) at the back at times next year - we will need to be defensively tighter against more clinical teams. In this scenario a fifth centre-back would not be impossible to accommodate - especially one who could also cover another position (right back?).

Again if promoted, I am pretty confident that we would offer Timm Klose a new contract - financially, it would not be a stretch assuming normal relegation clauses etc.

There is also the issue of squad continuity - Fulham are a classic example of a club that tried to evolve their squads to quickly and suffered as a result. Far better to give the players that got us there a chance to shine and adapt to the premier league. I would have thought three or four additions at most would be ideal and help maintain the very strong bond that seems to exist within the team. 

I don't think that there is much chance of finding a straight into the team classy centre back. I don't believe there are that many around and the price for one would be enormous. In fact, what we would be looking at to suit our budget will be little or no better than we have.

It will be important to have 4-5 next season if we make it. I remember when we have struggled because of cover and we may need to change to 3 at the back if we have to defend a bit.

SO Hanley would still have a place in the squad I believe unless we do unearth a bargain.

I'd be astonished if we don't hold out for Koulibaly again and blow the whole £100m.

• Haha 1

There seems to be complete agreement on here that Zimmerman could hold his own as a PL centre back. I am fighting the urge to say something about the ‘tin-pot’ nature of buying unknown players from the German third division. 😉

14 hours ago, KeiranShikari said:

Farke hasn't rushed any of the previously injured players back, that includes (arguably) our best player in Leitner. Likewise Vrancic who was only injured for a couple of games, plenty of managers would have put him straight back in. The bench will have to wait for form to drop off, injuries or suspensions to get their chance but they also must know that if they perform when they are called upon the shirt will be theirs. As I've said before, I can't see why Klose wouldn't fancy his chances of keeping the shirt once he's back in. If he's a regular in the Premier League then I'm sure the Swiss manager will give him the call (didn't he get back in earlier on this season already?).

I think that is absolutely spot on - Farke has shown he will stick with a winning team even with some of our 'best' players on the bench after recovering from injury. Agueably he's done it a bit too much although you can't really criticise him for it as its not an unreasonable policy at all and certainly the results (bar Preston when we looked like we needed some freshening up) have vindicated his judgement.

But even with the great results and great football generally we've been treated to recently, we do still concede quite a lot of pretty soft goals and therefore I think that both Tim and Grant will feel that whenever they next get the shirt they will be able to hang onto it again.

As someone said earlier if they are all here next pre-season I think that will determine who becomes the first choice starting pair. I don't think any of them can assume at the moment that they are an automatic first choice but Zimm has certainly progressed hugely thus season and IMO Tim is still our 'best' CB. Personally I hope we can keep them all - I don't think in my many many years of watching city we have ever had 4 CBs of this quality.

14 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

But even with the great results and great football generally we've been treated to recently, we do still concede quite a lot of pretty soft goals and therefore I think that both Tim and Grant will feel that whenever they next get the shirt they will be able to hang onto it again

Very much this.

We’re winning games by scoring more than the opposition (stating the obvious I know) but the point is we’re giving them a chance and letting in too many goals, and soft goals at that.

2 clean sheets since Xmas against the bottom 2 and 17 conceded against the current top 6 with Boro still to play away doesn’t bode well if we were to slip into the play offs.

I applaud Farkes policy of keeping faith with players (and the attitude and camaraderie of all in the squad seems fantastic) but I still think our best 11 is one that includes Klose and Leitner

Edited by Fiery Zac

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

We’re winning games by scoring more than the opposition (stating the obvious I know) but the point is we’re giving them a chance and letting in too many goals, and soft goals at that.

2 clean sheets since Xmas against the bottom 2 and 17 conceded against the current top 6 with Boro still to play away doesn’t bode well if we were to slip into the play offs.

When Kanadyan Kanary put up his thread comparing our CBs's and CB pairing's records based on goals scored and goals conceded, I did the same comparisons based on xGa. What that showed was that the Zimmerman/Klose pairing is most successful in terms of limiting the opposition's scoring chances. The Zimmerman/Godfrey pairing is less good in that respect, but better than Hanley/Klose.

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

I applaud Farkes policy of keeping faith with players (and the attitude and camaraderie of all in the squad seems fantastic) but I still think our best 11 is one that includes Klose and Leitner

I don't think it's just about "keeping faith with players". As I said when the question first arose as to whether Farke would select the now fit Klose and put Godfrey back on the bench (and got roasted for saying it, by the way), DF makes his team selections with more in mind than simply putting out his "strongest" team. I predicted that he would continue with Godfrey with a view to accelerating BG's development, and an eye to future need. I think much the same is now happening with McClean. There are some big decisions coming up in the summer, and Webber and Farke are taking any opportunities that offer themselves, to refine their ideas of what we will and won't need. 

Hanley look like 4th option now but he extended new contract just 4-5 months ago far as I remember .

With good wage and 3-4 years remaining of his contract is never easy to deal with this to sell etc.

Farke do great job without doubt but one think seems is not him power side .

We appointed Pinto last year skipper and he is not even on 18 man group whole season!

We added Hanley new skipper in summer and only home grown rules keep him in game squad !

Sure penalty takers and skipper of the team is weakest Farke side 🙂

And we just got Sean Raggett back from Rotherham - ankle injury that requires surgery. So that's Hanley and Raggett on longer term contracts who both fill the "proper center half" role - would we keep either of these CB's that don't seem to fit our style of play? 

Someone, I think BYG, suggested Raggett had been bought more with a view to 'flip' him for a profit rather than as a first team prospect. It certainly looks that way at the moment.