Sign in to follow this  
shropshire canary

Now the 4 Away games are over...

...against sides below us when we began the sequence, and we''ve ended up with 4 points.

There''s been plenty of excitement, disappointment, anger, frustration and a hint of relief on the way and the end result is 4 points.

How would we have felt if it had been 4 draws as opposed to what happened?

Would it have made any differenence?

Might have been a bit calmer on here!!

From points from 4 teams (including 2 of whom were in the bottom 3) is absolutely pathetic IMO.  At the moment we have relegation form.  I said before we had this sequence of away games that 7-9 points was not unrealistic and if we were looking to the play offs (HA!) like Worthington has said, we need to go to places like Derby and Millwall and pick up points.

Saturday''s result did nothing to change my mind about the situation at our club

[quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

From points from 4 teams (including 2 of whom were in the bottom 3) is absolutely pathetic IMO.  At the moment we have relegation form.  I said before we had this sequence of away games that 7-9 points was not unrealistic and if we were looking to the play offs (HA!) like Worthington has said, we need to go to places like Derby and Millwall and pick up points.

Saturday''s result did nothing to change my mind about the situation at our club

[/quote]

Is it not true that normally if you average a win for your home games, and draws for your away games you get promoted???

So it''s 4 points from for away ggames, that means.......

[quote user="Iwans Front Teeth"][quote user="DumbleDelia is Magic"]

[/quote]

Is it not true that normally if you average a win for your home games, and draws for your away games you get promoted???

So it''s 4 points from for away ggames, that means.......

[/quote]

26 points after 23 games (exactly half way through the season).  Double that = 52 points.  Gillingham went down with 50 points last season and Walsall went down with 51 the season before.  We have relegation form

The maths only tend to add up if you do the 3/home and 1/away for most of the season, Iwan FT. 

IMO, we''ve missed the bus this year. It''ll be interesting to see if Deano and others think the same by jumping ship come the 1st January transfer window.

What a silly post !

To "average" a win surely you''ve got to win them all (or is there something better than a win which allows you do draw or lose a few)

If you don''t "average a win for your home games", which we''re not, then you need to get morethan draws away from home, which we''re not.

So to answer your point, no 4 points from the last 4 games is not good enough.

The actual point of the post/thread was to ascertain whether 4 draws as opposed to 1 win 1 draw and 2 defeats might have made anyone feel any differently than they have done over the last few weeks of away games only? I certainly made no suggestion that we were on play-off form.

Sometimes not losing can be pschologically better than the mixture of results we''ve had, so I simply wondered if people felt there might have been less heat if we''d had say four 2-2 draws which would have resulted in the same points.

Having been to 3 of the games I know how I might have felt after a couple of them, but then again there''s more of a sense of relief after last Saturday than I suspect there might have been if it had been a 4th consecutive draw.

As ever in life it''s all a question of perspective.

4 points from 4 games is awful be it home or away!!! for playoff/promotion form we should be aiming for 10 points of of 12.. surely no less than 8!

what gets me is that we have taken just 6 points out of 18 against Coventry, Millwall and Crewe... if we want promotion then we should be smashing teams like this clean out of our way... we are in danger of getting relegated despite what people say! didnt man city go down 2 seasons running? with a better team and lots more money than we had

jas :)

shropshire isn''t asking whether 4 points from those games is acceptable 9it is clearly well below acceptable) but whether psychologically it would have been better to have drawn them all. I think the answer to this question is probably yes. Defeat can become a habit- remember the Deehan spell when we plummeted out of the Premiership in ''95? We got into a similar spiral of decline and even a draw became a prized commodity.

We must first be in a position where a draw is a basemark- and we apsire, and intend, to win. Defeat just causes more loss of confidence and form and can be almost very difficult to halt. Better to draw (even if actually we want wins) than to lose frequently and suffer this continual debilitation.

That''s exactly the point - an unbeaten spell is what we now need - win or draws all welcome in this camp as it provides something to build on (especially confidence) and takes more of the present furnace like heat out of the "situation" (to coin a word if not a phrase).

Our problem away from home has been just that - too many defeats and not enough draws to patch a run of any sort together.

4 points from 12 against teams below isn''t much of a comfort, especially since we''re playing some better teams now.

worthy should keep it simple and play the same 11 that ended sat (apart

from davs of course), but I read that mcveigh  might not start on

saturday, which sums up my frustrations with him.  he''s more

likely to start with hughes (no disrespect to hughes) up front.