Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Sky money v Gate receipts

With a number of games now on tv I wondered if anybody has thought if we actually profit from this. Obviously ST holders money is already in the bank but how many casuals stay at home instead of attending? 

Thought I wasn't going to be able to go to the Swansea game, but things changed yesterday. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that there were still tickets on sale. Got one right next to the Swansea fans. Guess the fact the game has been moved to a Friday night and is live on Sky has got something to do with this. 

I believe the home club receive £100,000 and the away club £10,000. 

Edited by Mutley

I'm coming to the Swansea game from the Emerald Isle,,  booked flights before it was announced that it was on tv ,still delighted to be coming ,can't beat the atmosphere of an evening game under lights. 

I think someone mentioned £100k per game to the home side ?  And a small amount to the away side.

I'd guess Swansea will be close to capacity if not sold out by Friday. 

So a nice bit extra on top really ?

It'll probably come to half a million with all the games we've got scheduled coming up, although some are away where we don't get much.

17 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Thought I wasn't going to be able to go to the Swansea game, but things changed yesterday. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that there were still tickets on sale. Got one right next to the Swansea fans. Guess the fact the game has been moved to a Friday night and is live on Sky has got something to do with this. 

Cant see many Swansea fans make the long treck on a Friday night. Could be one of the lowest turnouts of away fans.

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'm coming to the Swansea game from the Emerald Isle,,  booked flights before it was announced that it was on tv ,still delighted to be coming ,can't beat the atmosphere of an evening game under lights. 

Glad you can make it, I'm able to get to the game too, as spending the weekend with friends in Norfolk.  Evening games are always special !

Really appreciate your helpful and informative link on Saturday btw... 😉

3 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Glad you can make it, I'm able to get to the game too, as spending the weekend with friends in Norfolk.  Evening games are always special !

Really appreciate your helpful and informative link on Saturday btw... 😉

No probs  ICF.  There nothing worse than knowing information is out there and not being able to find it.   I have now TV sports until the end of the season but will still post a link to other sources if I have them. It's the  decent thing do I think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was £1M - £100k seems rather light, although I suppose they have already "paid into the pot" for the overall rights...

Is it really that much of a discrepancy between home and away? Also find it hard to believe that our promotion push benefits teams like Wigan, who are floundering and we get the short end of the stick?

Not sure how these things are worked out, but seems a little unfair if the reason the game was moved for TV is our form, rather than that of a home team who has pretty much stunk up the league all season.

11 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

After the whole ITV digital fiasco the Champs just has to accept the Prem is where the money is.

Yep - and money is the primary reason Champs highlights have slipped from BBC1 to Quest via Channel 5 in just 3 short years.

Streaming and media changes were the final nail though.

Out of interest, how many on here watch the Quest show? I realised the other day I've never seen it and couldn't even tell you who presented it!

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

29 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Yep - and money is the primary reason Champs highlights have slipped from BBC1 to Quest via Channel 5 in just 3 short years.

Streaming and media changes were the final nail though.

Out of interest, how many on here watch the Quest show? I realised the other day I've never seen it and couldn't even tell you who presented it!

Yeah, I have to be honest I don't bother.  I watch the highlights on Sky for our game when they come available and I'm not really that interested in highlights from other games.

I've never watched for on the telly, but it is put up on their website as soon as it finishes and as we're almost always one of the first 3 matches it's easy enough to find our match and whatever they have to say about us... Oh, and that Irish guy is Colin Murray...

from the internet...

"

The EFL hand out Championship clubs £100,000 for every home game that a club hosts on Sky Sports, with that figure going up to £120,000 for games being played on a Sunday and £140,000 for Thursday games.

Visiting sides are awarded £10,000 per game."

I like the Quest coverage with the variety of pundits they have on. CM appears quite honest in his appraisals and is generally complementary toward us and our style.

If we are promoted, then next season on MOTD will see a return to the more unbalanced and biased views we have heard before from the experts...…….' They (insert big team bias here) dominated the match from start to finish, had superb patches of play and we can not understand how the lost 3-0 to a lucky Norwich etc. 

Well I loathe most of the MOTD pundits, so I don't even listen to their opinions tbh... I just hope we're on the show again next season :classic_wink:

• Like 1

Another example of how the BBC waste large amounts of money on paying ex players to give their opinion on the highlights. I much prefer the German equivalent where they show extended highlights of the games with no so called expert pundits to tell you what they think. 

• Like 2

I never watch MOD live, if you just watch the actual football it last about 35 minutes, I don’t need to be told the bleeding obvious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I record and watch the Quest programme. Not only for the Championship but for L1 and L2  goals. There have been some cracking goals from the lower divisions and it is a credit to see fans supporting their club no matter what league they are in.
I also go onto the Vanarama site and watch the goals from all three of their leagues. Stockport, under the shadow of two of the country's top clubs, had a crowd of over 6000 during the week for their match against Spennymoor.

Football is not dead and still breathes under the noses of the big clubs and all credit to the owners, fans and players of the smaller clubs particularly non league for the hard work they put in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hampton canary said:

Another example of how the BBC waste large amounts of money on paying ex players to give their opinion on the highlights. I much prefer the German equivalent where they show extended highlights of the games with no so called expert pundits to tell you what they think. 

I still cringe about that example when Ian Wright couldn't remember the names of any of our players.  Comes across as a decent genuine guy but just no idea as a football "expert".

On 07/03/2019 at 08:36, SwindonCanary said:

I always record and watch the show when I have spare time...

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I record and watch the Quest programme....

Wow, do people still do that? I just find the show in the Quest app and cast it to my TV.

Wow, do people still do that? I just find the show in the Quest app and cast it to my TV.

I used to cast my rod when I fished the River Yare. And I cast my vote regularly but normally I just use my TV for watching.
Am I doing something wrong?

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

I never watch MOD live, if you just watch the actual football it last about 35 minutes, I don’t need to be told the bleeding obvious.

same here

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

That's a horribly condescending post. Are you that obnoxious in real life or just on online fora?

Edited by Chip20

9 minutes ago, Chip20 said:

That's a horribly condescending post. Are you that obnoxious in real life or just on online fora?

I think you might be taking it a little too seriously. There's nothing 'obnoxious' about my post, but I'm sorry it offended you. I was just genuinely surprised that people record things which are freely available online. Not intended as a dig in any way.

...but, yes, if someone in 'real life' told me that they recorded the program, I would probably say something like "there's this thing called the internet which you can use for that these days". It's good to share this kind of information!

Edited by Petriix