Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Wigan away

Living further North, this doesn't represent a major issue for me. 

However, I'm more concerned what effect the earlier kick off time might have on our performance. It seems to me (possibly inaccurately) early kick offs tend to result in less entertaining games and a lower tempo generally? Will this be a bit of a leveller? Crowd atmosphere seems to suffer too. 

A lot of our remaining fixtures have now been re-scheduled - I'm sure this will be managed accordingly, but there's no doubt it'll cause some disruption to our usual routine in terms of training and preparation.  

Hmmm, think Webber has done a deal here with Sky, its not too bad for us Northern Canaries, but even for me that's an early start in the morning - only way they'll get 5,000 of us there is if they put us up for the night before in Liverpool, Blackpool or Manchester - can't see that happening on a Saturday night.

Catch 22 why do we need to go up ? The riches of Sky ect so you can’t even object as that is like saying you do not want their money.

The other side of the coin is that it is the fans that made the game what it is and one day the likes of Sky will no longer be paying in this sort of money, but the fans will still be there.

Sky have shown to me in this case that they do not care about the fans in any way shape or form and simply see us an inconvenience. I can understand why they wanted us and Leeds on that weekend but if they cared we could have kicked off the Saturday evening. If you listen as well to the ex players they say it is an advantage to play first ie Man City at an advantage as Liverpool are always chasing. This stinks of giving Leeds an advantage over us.

As a footnote they must have known we were taking a huge following which would create an amazing atmosphere especially under the lights, why would they not want that on their tv screens.

Finally maybe some sort of 1 minute silence at the game as a reminder to Sky that the fans do matter. 

52 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

Now confirmed for Sunday linchtime just shows what Sky think of football fans.

Agree it feels a bit like lynchtime for Sky on here ( & I get why)

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

£7.50p is a real bargain and well worth the effort to get up at silly o'clock.

Why go to bed at all Tilly ? Drink all night down Prince of Wales Rd, stagger around with a kebab up to the ground for 5am then kip all the way to sunny Wigan.

What's not to like ? :classic_wink:

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Why go to bed at all Tilly ? Drink all night down Prince of Wales Rd, stagger around with a kebab up to the ground for 5am then kip all the way to sunny Wigan.

He might have a banning order from POW Road? :classic_ohmy:

Ultimately, if we're going up, we'll have to accept the reality that the Premier League is 'owned' by Sky, not the Clubs and definitely not the fans. Next season, be ready for fixtures to be moved all over the place to accommodate Worldwide audiences. The fact that many games have empty seats in the background is of no concern to Sky, or the Clubs as they're well paid for the coverage of the game. Bang average Clubs, if they're smart can survive on Sky money alone without the need for investment in youth or expanding their support base, sad times. 

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Serious consideration is being given by myself and others to having a Saturday night in sleazy Blackpool Smithy so you are welcome to join us. 🍺😜

Hoping these go to general sale as I am staying at my mate's in Stockport and him and his lad were keen to come, both Spurs fans, but think his lad could be converted with a Pukki party. Will get myself one when they go up initially though as a back up plan if they don't make it to general sale.

I accept that we need to accept that games will move for TV, but can someone explain why Sky are changing our game to 12.00 on the Sunday and the Leeds one to 5.30 on the Saturday?  The other way around would make so much more sense.  It's not even to avoid a local Prem game - they've got Palace v Man City (after us at 2.05pm )and Liverpool v Chelsea (4.30pm).

The reaction of the club to get reduced ticket sales and travel is commendable, but I can't honestly see how we are going to sell 5,000 tickets to a 12.00 kick off in Wigan with a 5am start for the majority of the away supporters when the game will be on TV, whatever the price of the tickets.  I really hope I'm proved wrong.

1 minute ago, Woodman said:

I accept that we need to accept that games will move for TV, but can someone explain why Sky are changing our game to 12.00 on the Sunday and the Leeds one to 5.30 on the Saturday?  The other way around would make so much more sense.  It's not even to avoid a local Prem game - they've got Palace v Man City (after us at 2.05pm )and Liverpool v Chelsea (4.30pm).

The reaction of the club to get reduced ticket sales and travel is commendable, but I can't honestly see how we are going to sell 5,000 tickets to a 12.00 kick off in Wigan with a 5am start for the majority of the away supporters when the game will be on TV, whatever the price of the tickets.  I really hope I'm proved wrong.

It will be a terrific achievement to shift 3,000 but it might just have been 5,000 at 3pm on a Saturday with the discounts.

• Like 1

I'm going to go to this. It'll be a pain in the **** but I feel like the £7.50 price is a great gesture by the club and if we're at all able we should make the extra effort to go.

Too early for me to drive up - I'll use the ticket saving (x 3) to pay for a hotel nearby😀 Also means we'll get back at a decent time on Sunday so not too bad for me tbh (but I'm not one of the hardcore away fans - only go to a few each year.)

Disappointed that I'm unable to attend now they've moved the game to Sunday with a 'get up before you go to bed and travel' and a ludicrous kick-off time.....

I went there when we were in the Prem and had an overnight stay......Good fun.....Quite a frustrating haul on the roads at peak times but I suppose the roads will be somewhat quieter. Although those 05.00am outbound club cabbage coaches, will be full of the farting like overfed cattle an' snoring like worn bearing chainsaws Canary Faithful......Eeeeughhh!......Enjoy...... 😎

On arrival at Wigan when those coach doors open,  the pressure built surge of the flatulent methane cloud out of those sealed charabancs, will possibly cause even more environmental damage to the poor ozone layer......🤢