Sign in to follow this  
River End Canary

Jamal Lewis

One thing about Jamal has been on my mind for a while and concerned me again against Millwall.

He is far to easy knocked off the ball especially compared to say Max A

would really like to see him in the gym over the summer to bulk up.

would make him the complete left backĀ 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, River End Canary said:

Ā 

It certainly worked for you.....

On second thoughts...

I don't think the gym had much to do with it - lorry loads of scampi more like. šŸ¤Ŗ

I thought Millwall was his best game for a long time.Ā  I was a bit concerned that he was playing it a bit safe, but was really pleased on Saturday.Ā  Ā Lots of willingness to take on his man, rather than continually cut back (not that there's anything wrong with just retaining possession)

'Bulking up' could have a serious effect on Jamals pace. Alan Shearer was a lot quicker at Southampton than he was after putting on some more muscle at Blackburn, sure, it made him Stronger holding the ball up around the box, but it did detract from his running in behind. A big part of Jamals game is his pace, particularly when upfield as an attack breaks down, he recovers his defensive position so quickly. I would not like to see him lose that.

Raheem Sterling is living proof that you don't have to bulk up and sacrifice your pace to make yourself difficult to knock off the ball. When he was at Liverpool he was said to be one of the strongest members of the squad. Here'sĀ Brendan Rogers' testimony:

"Iā€™ve seen many examples of it in training, to the point where the defenders wouldnā€™t get so close to him. Skrtel is a big guy but he would tell you.........Raheem would arm themĀ off, boom, with incredible strength. If you ask Kolo Toure, heā€™ll tell you the same thing.........He [Sterling]Ā wasĀ so wispy, slight and fast but his strength is tremendous."Ā 

Edited by westcoastcanary
Typo

Jamal was strong enough hold off Morison a couple of times on Saturday. I still believe he's a better all round defender than Max. But there's not much in it, they have different qualities and we're lucky to have both.Ā 

• Like 1

....easy to be critical of Lewis, when you compare him with Aaron's. He's been around longer and we're possibly being a little harsher on him. I just feel that we're lucky to have them both, long may it continue.Ā 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, River End Canary said:

One thing about Jamal has been on my mind for a while and concerned me again against Millwall.

He is far to easy knocked off the ball especially compared to say Max A

would make him the complete left backĀ 

What do you suggest bringing back Pinto or Husband ?

Clearly your opinion of Jamal is different to those Premier league clubs regularly linked to our young up and coming stars.

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Jamal was strong enough hold off Morison a couple of times on Saturday.

This^^^Ā Ā  Jamal is pretty good with the way he uses his body position to fend off attackers.

Ā 

20 hours ago, Orly said:

I thought Millwall was his best game for a long time.Ā  I was a bit concerned that he was playing it a bit safe, but was really pleased on Saturday.Ā  Ā Lots of willingness to take on his man, rather than continually cut back (not that there's anything wrong with just retaining possession)

This too. Ā  He needs no more bulking up than the op.......

Ā 

No need to bulk up in his position. On the commentary I was watching they were saying that Farke has been critical of Lewisā€™s ability from throw ins and wants to improve on that

6 hours ago, River End Canary said:

We are leaking way to many goals there has to be a reason for that. Have a look how many come down his wing compared to Max!Ā 

I haven't had a chance to. Can you do the honours and enlighten us please?Ā 

Nowt wrong with what Jamal is doing, the lad is a godsend, goes about his business calmly and quietly, contributes to the team as a whole, and could well do without unwarranted criticism.

3 minutes ago, River End Canary said:

So why are we leaking so many goals? They canā€™t all Be defending brilliantlyĀ 

Maybe you can answer that question. Or at least provide a theory for discussion.Ā 

1 minute ago, River End Canary said:

So why are we leaking so many goals? They canā€™t all Be defending brilliantlyĀ 

Dear oh dear, who said they were all defending brilliantly? We are not a perfect machine but the fact that we have the best GD in the league would indicate that our posession based attacking game has more than compensated for what has, over the season , largely been individual errors leading to goals with odd set pieces chipping in.Ā 

We have rarely been overrun for an extended period of time in a game, and the defence at the moment is three quarters ' kids'. Not only that ,we are getting better, in all ways. So there.

Just now, River End Canary said:

Now you are talking weak as p1ss Lewis gets bundled off the ball way to easilyĀ 

Yep, you're right, it's all Jamal's fault, drop him to the youth team and let's get Jonas Knudsen in or something.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Yep, you're right, it's all Jamal's fault, drop him to the youth team and let's get Jonas Knudsen in or something.

Have to wait Daz - he's suspended for booting a Wigan striker up the ar5e a couple of weeks ago.

Well then REC, why are we conceding 'so many' goals?

You can't chuck a grenade in the room and then shut the door.

Harsh to single out Lewis without backing it up. If you can find the stats that say Jamal Lewis is directly culpable for conceding more goals than any other defender this season, then fair enough. I think you'll struggle to though.

As others have said on here, we are lucky to have him - he's been an integral part of a fab season - let's dwell on that point instead and be happy we have the most points and best goal difference at this stage of the season.

Ā 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Have to wait Daz - he's suspended for booting a Wigan striker up the ar5e a couple of weeks ago.

Ah well, after careful consideration, maybe we should stick with Jamal?Ā 

2 minutes ago, Drazen Muzinic said:

Well then REC, why are we conceding 'so many' goals?

You can't chuck a grenade in the room and then shut the door.

Harsh to single out Lewis without backing it up. If you can find the stats that say Jamal Lewis is directly culpable for conceding more goals than any other defender this season, then fair enough. I think you'll struggle to though.

As others have said on here, we are lucky to have him - he's been an integral part of a fab season - let's dwell on that point instead and be happy we have the most points and best goal difference at this stage of the season.

Ā 

Wise words.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Ah well, after careful consideration, maybe we should stick with Jamal?Ā 

Is he up to the job?Ā 

Maybe an extra protein shake before Friday's game will help.

I was just talking the defence today - and in all honesty - the wing backs are the least of our worries for next season, we bring youth through at this club... so that is exactly what we should do next season... Jamal has been outstanding this season, yes slightly overshadowed by the newer and shinier Aarons, and to a lesser extent Godfrey, but heck all three deserve their crack at the prem should we get there. I don't think he needs to change his game all that much tbh.

• Like 1

As someone mentioned, we've got the best goal average in the Division, or close to, of course we could go down the Boro route, they're so tight at the back. Then you're trading goals conceded for goals scored, tbh, I'd rather we gave a goal away from a set piece every week to see 3 at the other end, it's entertainment after all... and I think Boro supporters would swap our position for theirs.Ā 

Aye, part of the goals conceded thing is likely to be because of our attacking play. We have lost the ball in midfield on quite a few occasions and that is always likely to happen with wing backs bombing up the pitch in support and with creative midfielders trying to make things happen. The OP is entitled to his/her view that Lewis could potentially be an even better player if he were to bulk up a bit but I am struggling to think of [m]any occasions this season where a goal has been scored as an immediate consequence of him being shrugged off the ball easily.

I do think we get exposed down that side of the pitch more than we do down the right but I think that is in part because Lewis tends to be the more advanced of the two full backs and is sometimes caught out of position on the (thankfully relatively rare) occasions we give the ball away in midfield. the first Bristol City goal is an example of it, he's just jogging back into the screen as they score and nowhere near back in position. There have been quite a few other instances this season where i've noticed the same, i.e. him getting stuck up the pitch out of position when we lose the ball during attacks and teams breaking into that space.

But to be clear, I don;t think that's necessarily his fault, i think he is often asked to push up the pitch furtherĀ than Aarons does and perhaps he also does not always have quite such effective cover in front of him as well.