Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Snoddy's arrogance strikes again

I think I'm in the minority on here, and I side with Lakey, but this story sums up why I think we were well shot of him.  There should be no reason for abusing people doing their jobs.    If he consistently produced the goods then you could forgive him some of his attituude issues but I always struggled with that and it seems he hasn't learnt how to iron it out.  So glad we have such a cohesive team under Farke.  

West Ham midfielder Robert Snodgrass charged by Football Association - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47448177

Even when he was one of us, really didn’t warm to him, he used whinge all the time and failed to deliver crosses  - we were well rid!!

• Like 1

I think his attitude was formed during his time at Elland Road, was never a fan and the incident against Villa didn't help. 

I met him a couple of times and he came across as a great guy. He also was brilliant with my grandson when he went for a signature and photo. That made a bit of an impression on me because it was past the time he had been allotted. It's funny how we can judge people by body language on the football pitch which is slightly more informative than a beauty contest.

Of course the German players are streets ahead in the respect stakes and Zimbo the best I've known in 50 years.

• Like 4

Fair comment nutty - but as humans we form judgements and opinions all the time, you always need to caveat any judgement, as based on the context from which it is formed!! All our Germans hold themselves extremely well - don’t think you can be in this team unless you do - clear example with Nelson O!!

• Like 1

I know Rhino. And my experience of Snoddy is just one. Others may have had other experiences. Body language on the field is a strange one. Doc looked clumsy but was nothing like as bad a defender people suggested and in his time was probably our best defender. Clingan looked the bees knees but lost his man regularly. Naisy looked to be berating youngsters and yet they appreciated him and spoke really highly of him. 

My comment about the Germans was probably poor suggesting they were all like Zimbo because he is exceptional. If they have such a thing as players pots would be interesting to see if he won it.

Oh and I meant to say Nelson was ok in my book. Just not what we wanted at the time.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

He never really connected with the fans here but he was a good player for us and (in my opinion) always gave his all. Yes, he was a whingy lad on the pitch at times, but it usually seemed in an effort to win free-kicks over a lack of effort.

This story surprised me a little bit as I've heard good things about his professionalism from numerous people. Will be interested to see what he said and the circumstances around it.

I met him at the Longwater recycling centre. He was trying to put paint tins in the clothing bank. I explained to him that wasn’t how it worked. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but he was pleasant enough.

• Haha 3

An alternative view from an article on Inews this week...

Snodgrass is a slightly retrograde winger. There is none of the lightning pace that we associate with modern attacking players, accounted for by an ability to protect the ball and an eye for a pass. He is a **** to defend against. The lack of speed convinces you that he can be tackled. It’s not always that easy. Against Fulham last weekend Snodgrass created eight chances, a total surpassed only once in the Premier League this season. No West Ham player creates chances more often, has assisted more goals or has been fouled more often. He is also an expert deliverer from set-piece situations. The standard of corner-taking in the Premier League is hugely frustrating, hair pulled out from supporters and journalists as another cross hits the first man. Snodgrass is an exception. Only one player in the Premier League has created more chances from set pieces this season, and it was his corner that found the head of Declan Rice to give West Ham the lead against Newcastle on Saturday.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/robert-snodgrass-west-ham-united-vs-newcastle/

• Thanks 1

"I met him at the Longwater recycling centre. He was trying to put paint tins in the clothing bank."

Did he take a run up to it and then smack the paint tins into the side of the clothing bank? 😂

Apples

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

"I met him at the Longwater recycling centre. He was trying to put paint tins in the clothing bank."

Did he take a run up to it and then smack the paint tins into the side of the clothing bank? 😂

Apples

I think Kathy wanted to put the tins in the clothing bank for him but he brushed her aside and did it himself.

Unfortunately, he missed the clothing bank and they went all over the floor.

I hear Kathy has never been the same since. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 1

It's not a good way to behave.

However, if we had more Robert Snodgrass types and Bradley Johnsons in our team when we were relegated from the prem, I suspect things may have been different.

I never got the impression that he and Howson were as comfortable at the Club as Bradders was. Could be wrong but just thought they saw as more as stepping stones rather than knuckling down and making us a middle of the table Prem side.

13 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I never got the impression that he and Howson were as comfortable at the Club as Bradders was. Could be wrong but just thought they saw as more as stepping stones rather than knuckling down and making us a middle of the table Prem side.

Think you are right. I was referring more to their drive and determination during games (compared to a few of our team then). I suspect many players just see us as a stepping stone to somewhere else, and I fully understand that.

13 hours ago, Kathy said:

I met him at the Longwater recycling centre. He was trying to put paint tins in the clothing bank. I explained to him that wasn’t how it worked. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but he was pleasant enough.

Oh dear Kathy, that's a shame you brought that story up as I believe Snoddy wanted to gloss over that incident

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Oh dear Kathy, that's a shame you brought that story up as I believe Snoddy wanted to gloss over that incident

Kathy was just miffed because he gave her the brush off...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Kathy was just miffed because he gave her the brush off...

Better than a touch up I suppose.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I met him a couple of times and he came across as a great guy. He also was brilliant with my grandson when he went for a signature and photo. That made a bit of an impression on me because it was past the time he had been allotted. It's funny how we can judge people by body language on the football pitch which is slightly more informative than a beauty contest.

Of course the German players are streets ahead in the respect stakes and Zimbo the best I've known in 50 years.

I spent time as a kid in Germany and played lots of german youth football (including against some pro youth teams).    The culture is unsurprisingly different over there.  You rarely get the stereotypical chris wilder type manager, barking at his players to get stuck in, it's just more refined, and (from my anecdotal experience) you get a wider cross section of kids playing football (from a socio-economic perspective).

And don't get me started on how far German youth football was ahead of british youth football when I came back.  The technique of the average player in Germany was just so much better than back here, principally due to smaller pitches and playing 7 a side up to around 15 or 16 (can't quite remember when it changes over).

23 minutes ago, Orly said:

I spent time as a kid in Germany and played lots of german youth football (including against some pro youth teams).    The culture is unsurprisingly different over there.  You rarely get the stereotypical chris wilder type manager, barking at his players to get stuck in, it's just more refined, and (from my anecdotal experience) you get a wider cross section of kids playing football (from a socio-economic perspective).

And don't get me started on how far German youth football was ahead of british youth football when I came back.  The technique of the average player in Germany was just so much better than back here, principally due to smaller pitches and playing 7 a side up to around 15 or 16 (can't quite remember when it changes over).

Have you read 'Das Reboot?' Fascinating book about how Germany basically rebooted its football production line after the awful performances of the National team in Euro 2000 and 2004.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Have you read 'Das Reboot?' Fascinating book about how Germany basically rebooted its football production line after the awful performances of the National team in Euro 2000 and 2004.

No, i haven't.  Sounds interesting, I'll stick it on the reading list.  👍 

As far as I know, they still have the smaller pitches / team sizes.  I wonder what they might have changed since I left.

Doc looked clumsy but was nothing like as bad a defender people suggested and in his time was probably our best defender. 

I think that is right Double N. Lambert told him he had no future with the club but soon changed his mind. I think it was easy to blame Doc for others failings.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Doc looked clumsy but was nothing like as bad a defender people suggested and in his time was probably our best defender. 

I think that is right Double N. Lambert told him he had no future with the club but soon changed his mind. I think it was easy to blame Doc for others failings.

I liked Ginger Pele. He was played out of position as a makeshift striker earning unfair derision. He was a decent CB and often the one left to clear up at the back. When he didn't/couldn't it just added to the reputation he'd got.

17 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

I couldn't disagree more, he was a decent defender but almost guaranteed to make a major error EVERY SINGLE GAME, many of which cost us goals or pens against us.

Nobody can forget his bear-hugging tactics as he was constantly turned and beaten by the opposing players.

8 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I couldn't disagree more, he was a decent defender but almost guaranteed to make a major error EVERY SINGLE GAME, many of which cost us goals or pens against us.

Nobody can forget his bear-hugging tactics as he was constantly turned and beaten by the opposing players.

Agree with this to an extent. Doc was a classic 'look classy for 89 minutes, look like he'd never played the game for one minute' defender. Always had that one big mistake in him. Zimmerman was similar at times last season but seems to have gotten better over time.

38 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Interesting...

How many pens Indy?