Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Fabulous goal

They're all fabulous I know, but Pukki's goal and the teamworsk involved gets better and better the more you look at it.  Teamwork and top class ability from start to finish.

A wonderful goal made to look very easy. Particularly the pass from Buendia who had a far easier option in Max on the right hand side. 

• Like 1

LDC I was about to say the same. It was not until I saw the TV replay that I fully appreciated the slick passing and quality of this goal. Buendia's ball was really slide rule accuracy but Pukki still had to show a lot of class to leave the two centre backs stranded and then finish with a trade mark special. In view of Millwall's tactics, from their viewpoint correct in the circumstances, Pukki had a quiet game, but as we know he just needs half a chance and he invariably finds the net. In the overall context of the game it was not bad timing either.Couple of other points:

1) How on earth did a professional referee allow their keeper to more or less play in the same colours as us !!

2) The Millwall toilet facilities were miles ahead of ours. So far as the River End is concerned a fairly low cost structure should be erected as an extension to provide modern units coupled with an up to date lift and perhaps some further office accomodation which could possibly be let out. No doubt at the end of the season we can afford this !!!!

3) The best way to travel to a London game is to drive down to Epping Station - 90 mins odd mins from Thickthorn. Park all day for £2.50 on Saturdays and then take Tube to wherever.

Glorious goal. There is some really good footage on Twitter from a lady in the Norwich crowd who just happened to be filming it at the time, with of course the crowd response, fantastic.

The definition of carving (or should that be calving like an iceberg?) The opposition open... The highlights on quest and the sky website don't do it justice because by missing out the first two passes you don't appreciate how smooth and incisive it was going from back to front.

1 hour ago, vos said:

1) How on earth did a professional referee allow their keeper to more or less play in the same colours as us !!

2) The Millwall toilet facilities were miles ahead of ours.

Couldn't agree more about the goalie's colour clash. Very strange that no one spotted it or if they did didn't think it mattered.

The toilet facilities did seem better but I had the pleasure of sitting in the Barry Kitchener Stand and their prime use seemed to be as a ' gentlemens ' smoking room. You could barely breathe in there and the sinks were the largest ashtrays ever seen as they were full of soggy dog ends .

Large signs indicated that anyone caught smoking in there would be thrown out of the ground but as the stewards looked about 16 and half the size strangely nothing happened :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, cornish sam said:

The definition of carving (or should that be calving like an iceberg?) The opposition open... The highlights on quest and the sky website don't do it justice because by missing out the first two passes you don't appreciate how smooth and incisive it was going from back to front.

Goals involving several players count for nothing. Real goals are the ones like Jack Grealish's for Villa because: 1. It's Villa. 2. It's Jack Grealish. 3. All the pundits know better than us. 4. We're only little ol' Norwich, who at the end of the season will still be in the Championship, because the Prem is for big teams, like Leeds and Villa.

• Haha 1

I was standing right in front of the pass through from Buendia and what made the goal was Pukki's 2nd touch of the ball....enough weight to take it past their defenders but just enough to entice the keeper off his line

I still spend my time looking at the goals we scored against Bolton  😍

I'll catch up with this one later 🙂

Completely spoilt this season.  How many goals have we seen like this where Buendia plays a perfect through ball for Pukki to run onto ?

Pukki's form this season must be partly down to getting a lot of balls played through exactly as he likes to receive them, just like this one.

Also this goal shows the problem we pose for other teams.  Millwall are doing quite a good job of closing us down and pressing the ball, the defender is under pressure and so is Hernandez, but that just means that when he lays the ball off to Buendia, they now have most of their players caught upfield and the defence is short of cover, allowing Pukki the space to run into.

The alternative of sitting back deep was tried by Bolton....

6 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Completely spoilt this season.  How many goals have we seen like this where Buendia plays a perfect through ball for Pukki to run onto ?

Pukki's form this season must be partly down to getting a lot of balls played through exactly as he likes to receive them, just like this one.

Is it going too far to suggest that if we'd had Buendia making those passes, RvW could have hit 20+... 😄

• Haha 2

Obviously Pukki has been a half-decent signing (:classic_ninja:), but just how good has Buendia been?!

Given his age, and the fee we paid for him, it is all the more remarkable.

19 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Is it going too far to suggest that if we'd had Buendia making those passes, RvW could have hit 20+... 😄

You'll open up a hornet's nest with this one Indy. I saw him in a pre season friendly when he first arrived and he looked way ahead in terms of his movement. The fact we didn't play to his strengths and him losing his confidence meant that we were lumbered with a striker who couldn't score and couldn't sell.

8 hours ago, Van wink said:

Glorious goal. There is some really good footage on Twitter from a lady in the Norwich crowd who just happened to be filming it at the time, with of course the crowd response, fantastic.

I don't do Twatter - has anyone got a link please?

Edited by Drazen Muzinic

2 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

You'll open up a hornet's nest with this one Indy. I saw him in a pre season friendly when he first arrived and he looked way ahead in terms of his movement. The fact we didn't play to his strengths and him losing his confidence meant that we were lumbered with a striker who couldn't score and couldn't sell.

It's was very much tongue-in-cheek, most posters know my ongoing saga about RvW 🙂

1 minute ago, splendidrush said:

RVW kept making those late runs into the box ready for the cutback - only for the ball to be fired in to the 6 yard box and blocked or saved.  We bought someone we didn't know how to utilise, and it just shows how DF and Webber needed those three transfer windows to put all the pieces together.

• Like 1

Great goal, but shows exactly why we're so difficult to play against. We've all seen the passing, passing 25 passing goals, but this one, 4 passes from keeper to goal in a matter of seconds, is brutal.

This also sums up Pukki, quiet game, one half chance with both centre halves to beat. Creates the space to shoot and bam. Amazingly clinical!

• Like 3

Pukki 's just been the signing of the season in the Championship! Remember the tosh that was said about him , "not even being able to step up to the challenges of the Scottish Premiership" , etc... I mean he's just been the predator we have been missing since Holty...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Pukki 's just been the signing of the season in the Championship! Remember the tosh that was said about him , "not even being able to step up to the challenges of the Scottish Premiership" , etc... I mean he's just been the predator we have been missing since Holty...

A lot of what Pukki does reminds of what  Solskjaer did when at his peak. 

13 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

It was difficult for him in Scotland with the kick and rush style of football (but he still scored 8 in 37 there) and to be fair I think he would have found it difficult at some of the less cultured clubs in the championship. What has made it work for him here is the fact we play the kind of football that suits him and gives him the best opportunities.  Then once he has the ball defenders don't know which way he is going to go, left or right and that gives him the uncertainty factor they can't deal with - and he scores well with either foot, knee, thigh, chest or whatever it takes....

I started this thread because the whole goal from start to finish is easy to remember and will stick in the memory. The sheer simplicity of the four players invloved from goalkeeper to the ball in the back of the net.  We've scored so many good goals this season in so many different ways, but this one was so direct, straight down the middle of the pitch and just brilliant.

They talk about memorable goals but this one will be easy to recall over time.  Farke ball at it's best.

• Like 2

Our players have been given a level of confidence to do the sort of things others wouldn't try:

- Lewis (or was it MacLean?) receiving a pass from Krul on our own 18 yard line.

- passing it to Hernandez who is under pressure, but is composed enough to turn his marker when only 35 yards from his own goal (losing possession there would be very dangerous)

- finding Buendia in space in the centre circle, who then has the ability to look up and see Pukki's run

- Pukki's first and second touches are sublime and, as ever, an early strike to score.

Such a good goal and really disappointing that Sky and Quest didn't show it in its beautiful entirety.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Think it was Klose getting the ball from Krul.

Klose came on for Lewis on 88, Pukki scored on 79.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ian said:

McLean I think.

Whoever it was, and it does look like McLean, they got a kick after they'd passed the ball to Onel, who they tried to kick twice, who then passed to Buendia, who wasn't kicked for a change - but only because nobody was near enough, who passed to Pukki, who was nearly kicked - but the defender either missed or thought better of it.

Would we be fouled less in the Prem, or just more expertly? Manure are masters of fouling long after the ball has gone to take the player out of the attack.