Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Leeds v WBA

Leeds have lost half their games since the turn of the year...yes they can win a game like tonight, then go and chuck in a stinker out of the blue.

Think we are consistently better....and when we get the ball down there is NOBODY in this league that plays the football, with the speed and precision we do, Leeds included....and the game at Elland Rd a few weeks back merely adds evidence to that

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Rob Whites said:

And the most deluted post goes to.....? No doubt Norwich will be up there but to say you weren't impressed with Leeds's quality tonight is laughable. If this was Norwich tonight you wouldn't be saying how poor WBA were but how good you were. You are also impressive on your day. The way we close teams down is the best ive seen in this league this season.

Admittedly we have played poor since the turn of the year (pants against QPR and Norwich) but on our day we are very impressive and today was one of those days. There is not one team in this division that has the amount of energy Leeds has. I have also seen Norwich play terrible also. 

Not seen anyone get as convincingly beat at Elland Road like that since Norwich went there............

• Haha 1

What tonights  result has done is basically turn a 4 horse race into a 3 horse race..at least for the next few matches..so overall it has to be a positive for City.

Leeds fans are an interesting breed, when they win it's all tub thumping and 'Leeds Leeds Leeds ' Bielsa is the messiah ' and 'marching on together ' then a defeat like Tuesday and it's unacceptable,  what's Bielsa playing at, blaming players who've been fantastic all season, like they have a divine right to win. I understand passion, and I know all Clubs have people like that but it seems like it's a constant at Leeds, tonight, they'll be unbearable. 

If we win tomorrow, that’ll put WBA 9 points behind and then if Leeds beat Sheff U (what a game that should be, by the way!!), I think it’ll seal it for Leeds and us.

but, as others have said - it’s all about us getting the results.

• Like 1

WBA looked like mid table 1st Div team tonight -  no shape, no discipline, poor defending, poor passing, no imagination, low energy - poor performance

Well deserved win by Leeds, lets hope Sheff Utd can give them a better game and share a point - If not at least we know one of them will drop 3 points

My gut feeling is - it will be Norwich and Sheff Utd as top two and Middlesbrough making up the third spot

If we carry on playing as we have been we will be fine. Others will drop more points than we will over the remaining fixtures.

Norwich and Leeds will go up automatic and we have both played some good football this season. Best footballing sides in the division on our day. Hammering West Brom 4-0 will breed confidence and that should put them out of contention. We will beat Sheffield United and open up a gap and then its just a race for the title between us two and then we will remind that clown Ian "Moose" Abrahams of how crap we both are. Good luck Norwich fans for the run in. 

Just need to concentrate on getting our own 3 points each week and then other teams results won't matter

2 minutes ago, AJ said:

Just need to concentrate on getting our own 3 points each week and then other teams results won't matter

That is how it usually works AJ and Millwall are not going to lay down and hand you 3 points when they need them for survival and the steel city derby on Monday will be a draw. The pressure is back on you two. This is going to go to the wire. 

2 hours ago, Observant said:

That is how it usually works AJ and Millwall are not going to lay down and hand you 3 points when they need them for survival and the steel city derby on Monday will be a draw. The pressure is back on you two. This is going to go to the wire. 

No reason to suggest Monday's game will be a draw, Utd are on a roll, I know it's a Derby but I think they've got too much for Wednesday. Your concern should be when you play the Blades, that's the game that decides who has the advantage on the run in. 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Respect to Leeds tonight, we are still better than them though I believe. 

A couple of points better than us, that's all you are if you win at Millwall. How do you define better? Norwich have better stats than Leeds in some aspects of the game and Leeds are better than Norwich in others for example we are the best in possession football, tackles overall and home record. Im not sure how you define 'better'?  You are a very good footballing side and I give credit for that but you are not well clear in the table. Leeds when on form have played some scintillating stuff and has been noted by many pundits. 

Lets be honest if that Wolves team were in the division this year they would be around 10 points ahead of both of us. 

Edited by Rob Whites

2 hours ago, Rob Whites said:

A couple of points better than us, that's all you are if you win at Millwall. How do you define better? Norwich have better stats than Leeds in some aspects of the game and Leeds are better than Norwich in others for example we are the best in possession football, tackles overall and home record. Im not sure how you define 'better'?  You are a very good footballing side and I give credit for that but you are not well clear in the table. Leeds when on form have played some scintillating stuff and has been noted by many pundits. 

Lets be honest if that Wolves team were in the division this year they would be around 10 points ahead of both of us. 

Respectfully, I believe we have much better technical players than you, simple. If we go up, I think our players have the technical quality to look the part, as they already have against both Arsenal and Chelsea etc, but I think your team would be exposed very badly as it stands - you would need a near complete overhaul to stand any chance of Premier League survival, Bielsa already has that squad punching above its weight. Credit to Leeds last night though, they fully deserved that, and I’m pleased they beat a team of loans. 

On another note, that team made up of loans, WBA, they have a few ok players but that is all and they most certainly do not possess a Premier League squad - it makes me laugh every time I read this. Yes, a Premier League squad of utter failures, meaning that they were never Premier League quality in the first place (bar Gareth Barry in his prime) and have now found their level. That’s the reality. I like Darren Moore but they are a **** side and they won’t get promoted in a month of Sundays.

Looking at the fixtures I fancy us and Leeds to go up automatically, Sheff Utd have far more tricky games than Leeds, and that’s what swings it for me. That said, Sheff Utd are very capable, I will be interested to see Leeds next performance before I say top 2 for them for sure - they have regularly been dreadful these last 2 months or so, and I think Bielsa knows that he has to get a mid table squad really punching above their weight to hit the heights they did before the New Year. We will see in the next game or two whether it’s a false dawn, or whether Leeds can truly mount a challenge for top spot with us and Sheff Utd. I can see Boro winning the playoffs, possibly even a surprise like Nottingham Forest.

2 hours ago, Rob Whites said:

I'm just wondering where you and Observant were on Wednesday evening. The big difference between us is that you got yourself a good lead at the start of the season, since then you've tailed off, allowing us to catch up, your form since Christmas has fallen off and we've caught you with the momentum for the run in. 

The best team I have seen at Carrow Road this season is Leeds, absolutely no doubt. However for the first 15 minutes, that match was all City.

The best team I have seen at Elland Road is Norwich, and many would agree I believe. On that basis, we both should go up, but it does not work like that. 

If Leeds do eventually get promoted it would nicely take the limelight of us (if we were also to be promoted). My only fear is that Leeds, if promoted will blossom into a decent Prem team and therefore not take up a relegation place.

For amusement factor only, I would like us to finish above Leeds though.

• Like 1

I think we are just a like playing golf. You swing a club and the ball gets in the way. If you swing the club properly you will hit the ball well.

With us, we just have to play our game. Ignore the opposition. We have consistently played the best football in this division. We just started a bit further back than others. If we keep playing the same football we will beat the majority of teams. Sheffield United are consistent with their style as well. 

Leeds and WBA are a bit staccato like in their play. Brilliant one game, ordinary the next. I will take our consistency every time over a season.

And now with virtually every contender for a first team start available we have it in our hands.

Absolutely ICF. It's getting to be like "my dad is better than your dad". 

And only appearing when they're winning. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rob Whites said:

You made West Brom look average. They couldn't cope. It was obvious. Haven't most folk even in this thread said the same?

As for Wolves, who cares? That was last season. What next, we talk about our team beating Bayern Munich being the best?Need to live in the here and now IMO.

And I'm guessing whilst you're here RobWhites your second team must be us? Or why the interest if not? Are you on SU sites as well?

See you in the Prem? Then we can resume the mini competition between our two clubs. The good thing for both teams now hopefully is that we will drive each other to the top 2. Unless of course you prefer a Yorkshire pairing. I'm guessing you might.

Edited by sonyc

Wolves tore us a new one (at Carrow Road) last season, and played some lovely stuff, but I believe we are playing a sharper brand of football than that, this season. Leeds play some good stuff as well, which makes me question why they have had so many close/poor results (Caveat: You can't argue with picking up 3 points, whatever the result) but, with so many games like that, you do wonder how long you can keep doing that (Perhaps last night MIGHT be your 2nd wind?) I don't care if we go up with Leeds and I don't care if we win it or come 2nd. BUT , it is ours to lose.

There are three really good footballing teams fighting it out for promotion this season. I genuinely don't remember such quality football being played in the Championship ever before and this is the best I have ever seen Norwich play, in any division. It is reasonable to argue that Norwich have been the best team in the league since September, but the season does include those first six games where we were pants.

I would suggest that, on paper at least, Norwich have had the harder fixtures already and have the easier run in, but the games still need to be played and won, and Leeds just won one of the hardest of their remaining fixtures. As for WBA, they probably have the best squad in the league, but they lack cohesion and work rate; when things go against them, they don't have the combined mental attributes to fight back.

In any case, we are probably looking at a three-horse-race now. If things go to form, Norwich will come out on top on around 93 points with Leeds and Sheffield Utd close together on 87-90. However, I expect there will be a few more twists and turns yet. Full credit to the top 3 for making it so exciting.

Do WBA have the 'best' squad because of their 'names', who if they were as good as the squad suggests, would still be in the Prem?. Some of their squad is perhaps on the downward slope in their career, so this season may be a year too late for some of these players to impact effectively, on the Championship.

Also tactics play a part, and WBA look like they do not have  a fresh idea, as opposed to ourselves, Leeds and Sheff Utd. If WBA do not go up this season, then I really do worry about what their future holds, for any promotion, any time soon

I'm just waiting for our northern friends to come back on here tonight, after all, we've taken top spot back from them and their game with the Blades gets ever closer..... shhhhh.

Well now - the next four Leeds games - Bristol (A), Reading (A), Sheff Utd (H), Millwall (H) - wonder which Leeds team turns up - could it be two losses, a draw and a win, or four straight wins? 

Next five Sheff Utd games - Sheff W (A), Rotherham (H), Brentford (H), Leeds (A), Bristol (H) - could it be three losses, a draw and a win, or five straight wins? 

Either way it's going to be an interesting month. 

Tough fixtures for them both

with 11 games to go we are looking very difficult for other teams in this division to stop

if I had to bet right now, I think the outcome will be City on over 90 points and both Leeds and Sheff U back around 85 points, I think they will both fall away and it’ll be which one does less badly.

its in our hands and I’m enjoying every minute of this ride!!!

20 hours ago, Petriix said:

It is reasonable to argue that Norwich have been the best team in the league since September, but the season does include those first six games where we were pants

Hi Petriix, I agree with the first part of that statement, but I have issues with the second part, I would say we played some very good football in those 6 games, but couldn't seem to make it click fully. The turning point arrived when DF finally settled on Max Aarons as his RB and Mo Leitner really found another gear, from there onwards bar a blip or 2 we have been the best in the league for sure.

• Like 1

Whether we are "the best team in the league" is open to debate on all sorts of counts. We are certainly nowhere near the best team defensively. Why can't Leeds and Sheffield Utd be given the credit they are due? Come Monday night all three of us are likely to be within two points of each other with just a quarter of the season to go. All three are still capable of finishing the season with a points total in the 90s. 

4 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Whether we are "the best team in the league" is open to debate on all sorts of counts. We are certainly nowhere near the best team defensively. Why can't Leeds and Sheffield Utd be given the credit they are due? Come Monday night all three of us are likely to be within two points of each other with just a quarter of the season to go. All three are still capable of finishing the season with a points total in the 90s. 

Not convinced at all that a Sheffield United victory Monday night is ‘likely’ If I we’re a betting man and I am! I wouldn’t be on a United victory at all. I’d say a draw looks the ‘likely’ outcome