Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Ben Kensell

I know that he's highly regarded by a few on here and, clearly behind the scenes too, but I find him so stereo-typically politician like. The obvious things he says, the way he speaks. His gestures and body language. It all feels controlled and forced. You flip that to how Webber and Farke interview and it's just really noticeable to me. I'm not saying that Webber and Farke aren't controlled, but they come across, at least to me, as more human and engaging.

I kind of get what you mean about Kensell, but I also understand it.

His jobs until now have all been in the commercial area and, while you need to be personable to be good at sales and build relationships, this would have all be done out of the limelight.

His role now will require a bit more of public facing communication (rather than purely to businesses as it would have likely been before) so he might have to get a bit of media training, just like players and coaches do 😊

Doesn't he handle business stuff?  I don't imagine that openness / being personable is a particularly useful personality trait in this area, so not @rsed. 

Assuming that it is a business role, I don't recall McNally being particularly nicey nice either, but got the job done.

In all honesty, I find the insistence on parading non-footballing staff out for interviews with the media all a bit tedious. 

I have no doubt they do an excellent job, but it's always about as interesting as watching songs of praise, without any songs, or praise.

Webber and Farke are in much more outward facing roles and thus will be far more experienced in dealing with the media. Both look comfortable in front of the media and know how to drop a good sound bite. 

They both look like they’ve had quite a bit of media training - as someone who used to do this kind of training I can see lots of little tips and tricks I gave to clients in the way they speak and how they present themselves. 

While he came across as being slightly wooden, I was impressed by what he, and other guests had to say. If he's asked about plans for the expansion of the ground or Farke's contract I want to hear a 'sober ' response. I was impressed by the amount of work going on behind the scenes,  charitable causes, community involvement, fundraising etc. Makes me proud of our Club. Clearly,  as was said,  there's still plenty of work to be done and their demeanor was that they're focused to that end. FWIW, I hope I'm still alive to see the new City stand, we've needed an upgrade since the Jarrold was completed. 

• Like 1