Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

So now, Leeds vs West Brom on Friday

What 'ideal' result would we want now? A WBA win? A draw? A Leeds win, pushing West Brom further back (that's if we win Saturday) hoping that Leeds will fall apart again, later on?

A draw is best from Leeds/WBA IMO - keeps us top and WBA at arms length.

Monday sees the steel city derby too, at Hillsborough - I’m sure the Owls will be rather keen to put a spanner in the works.

Odd how things may work out, but we could see ourselves as many as 8pts clear after the Swansea game (if only because it’s on the Friday).

Personally I think a West Brom win would be best. It gives us a chance on Saturday to have a five point gap to third and that is a good lead with 11 games left.

I always hope for a draw in these kind of games. 1 less point in total and neither team has any momentum or gains against any ground.

I’d like to see a West Brom win for reasons mentioned by Hairy Canary. Plus, it will turn the screw on the perennial Leeds meltdown. The fans will begin to feel their stomachs turning over as they once again witness their team implode, which has been reinforced by the fact that they’ve lost lost half their games since the new year.

The pressure has also been amped up by the speculative article in the Mail saying Radrizzani may sell the club if they fail to gain promotion. I know this has been denied, but non-the-less the idea has been released into the ether to haunt the fans.

• Like 1

Take a draw all day long. They're spitting on ALTV tonight, not impressed at all, they're running scared of West Brom. If they lose that they're playing catch up. 

The Sheffield derby is going to be very eventful Wednesday are now on fire I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the owls win

WBA win 4 me , like Hairy mentioned it would give us a chance to get a 5 point lead! And...the Leeds meltdown would be up and running... :classic_biggrin:

I'd say the Leeds meltdown has already started. We blew Bolton away, they struggled. We beat Bristol city after going behind twice, they lost to qpr. We are looking strong and resilient , they are looking fragile, not at all clinical, unlike.........us.

As long as we are not ‘Strong and Stable’ as that didn’t end well. 

• Haha 1

Not worried about it personally so long as our form keeps up. I'm almost concerned that if we build too much of a gap too soon some complacency may set in. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

West Brom win for two reasons;

1) Opens the gap to third which realistically is all that matters at this point

2) and more importantly, LOL @ Leeds

• Like 2

I really don't mind too much. A Leeds win takes out WB as a contender for me  (if we were to win at Millwall we would be 9 points ahead). A draw does neither team any good but again we have to win on Saturday (not taking for granted). WB winning would create a little knot of teams around 63/64 points who then battle between them. Again, we must win our Saturday match to take advantage. So, there is one consistent...we have to do our own thing. The Friday game will be fascinating. But not half as fascinating as at the Den on Saturday.

• Like 1

Leeds form has been patchy struggling to.put aaway the likes of Bolton and scraping late results now suffer at QPR who were on. 7 match losing run.  Albion on similar run of winning away games.  Losing two on the trot will demoralise Leeeds couldn't happen to a nastier bunch but am sure is going to happen.  Provided we keep a 6 point gap after Saturday toWBA everything OK. Millwall had tough game last night expect them to be spent by second half..

Leeds have a terrible run of fixtures now whereas I think WBA’s is more favourable. I’m not sure I’d want them winning and gathering too much momentum as I think they’re a better team than Leeds.

I think a draw really is the best result all round. 

WBA are, according to my Baggies golf mate, better away from home and he fancies them to do them. But he says he is enjoying this season more than any for a long time. Yes its nice to think your team is one of the top twenty. But being boring doesn't make it preferable. Going straight back up isn't a priority to him at the moment.

Any of the results is positive for us as long as we keep winning. I suppose successive Leeds defeats might just put seeds of doubt in their minds and lead to team changes etc. And they go to Ashton Gate the following week.

Lets remember that all the clubs below us are saying to themselves that we look the best team and are top. And with only twelve to go it is in our hands. 

Anything bar a Leeds win would be acceptable.

I'm still thinking 88 points will be enough, maybe less.

It is what it is, but the good thing about this game is that two of the top four are playing each other so one of them must drop points.

My preference would be a draw so the 3rd point on offer is lost forever.

I think Leeds are definitely wobbly.  If you look back, they had a long winning run back in Nov/Dec which allowed them temporarily to go top.  But since Christmas it's been really patchy with plenty of defeats and narrow wins, and no truly convincing performances.

To get a top 2 spot, you've got to be able to grind out results sometimes, but teams that end up top always have some convincing wins too.  Like us with our recent wins at Bolton or (cough) Leeds.  Whereas it's a long time since Leeds won by more than 1 goal.

For me, one overriding factor: what will create the biggest potential gap to our target? i.e. finishing at least second. 

As Leeds and Sheff Utd already have 64 points, Leeds getting to 65 makes little difference, even getting to 67 is OK.

If WBA win the gap to third stays the same as now, but with two teams still behind us so that is probably the ideal.

A 92nd min WBA winner and some red cards would be fun. IMO a more important game is Sheff Wed v Sheff Utd. 

I think Leeds have burned out and will fall away, that said, I don't want them to lose to West Brom and hand the momentum to them as I think they're much more of a threat. A draw will keep them both at arms length.... as long as we do our job at Millwall. 

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I think Leeds have burned out and will fall away, that said, I don't want them to lose to West Brom and hand the momentum to them as I think they're much more of a threat. A draw will keep them both at arms length.... as long as we do our job at Millwall. 

Spot on SR, the table still looks tight, especially if 'boro win their game in hand.

Far too many assuming that Millwall will rollover and we will tickle their tummies so until that actually happens it has to be a draw on Friday night for me.

Has to be a draw, we want teams close behind us to receive the minimum number of points.

As for Millwall, they wont roll over but really shouldn't be able to cope with us, if we turn up.

Edited by Van wink

A draw please for me. Both teams effectively dropping points is the best scenario. Millwall are easy to play through at the back which will suit us, but they can still  cause us problems with crosses.

Draw best for us will mean another game without Leeds win and dent Albion's away record. And leaves us in top position. Meanwhile still fancy Albion to win.  Albion home form will see them out of the top 2. Whatever the result a couple of injuries or dismissals would not go amiss.