Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Koumas please!

Now whatever we think of Robinson, Hughes, Jarrett and co, this guy has the measure of all of them. He''s in exactly the same position now as Hucks was in December 2003. Loan period coming to an end, due to return to a club he doesn''t want to play for but unlikely to sign for his loan club Cardiff because they''re broke. Ok, in the end we got the money together to get Hucks and Cardiff may do the same but that didn''t stop other clubs registering their interest as the loan period came to an end, and we should do the same.

The way Koumas has been playing this season - he could turn this club around if we went for him.

Must be a front runner for Championship Player of the Season?

Could easily be wrong but I thought Koumas'' loan was for the season.

Agree with the sentiments 100% though, Koumas is sort of midfielder we''ve been desparate for ever since Worthington took over but, Koumas and Worthington........, Worthington and Koumas......, cant really see it somehow.

New manager and Koumas, now there''s something to dream about.

why the hell would Koumas want to come here?

look how well cardiff are doing, why would he want to turn to a struggling club?

He''s not going to come, its not even worth trying, i would rather we started to search for a right winger

There is no way Koumas would come here.  The following is qouted from him on the BBC website:

"Koumas, who he scored his eighth goal of the season in Saturday''s 1-0 win at Leeds, revealed: "He''s probably the best manager I''ve played under.

"He''s getting my old confidence back. He tells me to go out and play, and that means a lot.

"Why would I want to leave Cardiff when I''m enjoying it so much." "

Can you imagine him getting on with Worthy because I can''t.  In stead of "Go out and Play" Worthy would be demanding that he worked harder, tackled more and provided more defensive cover.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

Can you imagine him getting on with

Worthy because I can''t.  In stead of "Go out and Play" Worthy

would be demanding that he worked harder, tackled more and provided

more defensive cover.

[/quote]

Worthy on Hucks - "You can''t give him any instructions other than to go out and do what he does best"

What''s the difference? Worthy isn''t just the ''workrate & commitment'' tunnel-visioned fanatic some would have us believe.

well something has got to give because as i said, it''s the same as the

huckerby situation - his loan is up shortly, whereupon cardiff will

either have to buy him or send him back. and he won''t stay at wba (he''s

said he won''t play for them ever again).

i reckon the likes of reading/palace/saints will prob show an interest so we should be in there too.

agree he may not want to come though...

So saint, you''re fine for a midfielder to go out and not work

particularly hard, not tackle much or provide much defensive cover. In

this league?!

Presumably you''d have Jim Brennan in centre midfield!

That''s a fair point barman but Worthy has to criticised Hux for not tackling back etc during games in the past.  Unfortunately with players like Hux and Koumas you can''t ask them to do that because it''s not what they are about.

Would a midfield of the ilk we have at the moment be able to accomodate both Koumas and Huckerby - both rather maverick-like in footballing ability? Don''t get me wrong, Koumas would, in my opinion, be a good acquisition but how would be fit into the formation and the way we play..? The flip side to this would be in that the quality and quantity of chances created would certainly increase, increasing the chances Ashton''s been starved of of late.

I cannot beleive some of the posts on here!!!!

If we could possibly somehow convince Jason Koumas to come to this club it should be done in an instant - Hucks could be pushed up front at worst.i mean its not as if he hasnt played there at every other club he has been at - so he only get 15 goals - with koumas passing, Ashton should  get over 20 goals and Koumas would SCORE a free kick!!!!!!   yes norwich city have scored them in the past!!!!!. 

MY GOD - we need to sort out a situation where we have only scored 23 goals in 23 games - its no wonder we are doing so badly

Goals change games and this team worthy has created cannot score them.

In the case of a player like Huckery A1 I am fine for him to go out, not tackle much or provide much defensive cover.  Darren Huckerby should be on the pitch for one reason only, to cause the opposition defence as many problems as possible.  How much damage can he do if he''s busy defending all the time?  Call me old fashioned if you want but I like to see attacking players actually doing some attacking.

"In this league" teams should be worrying about Huckerby but they are not because more often than not he gets the ball in positions where he can do little damage.  We all know what he can do given the chance and considering that we have scored only 23 goals in as many games, maybe it''s time to be a bit more attack minded.

As we are posting pointless sentences at the end of our posts now...............  Presumably you would play Huckerby at Right Back?

Touche! Hucks at right back, nice!

The last time we had a genuinely attacking winger before hucks was one

gifted but ultimately flawed Mark Rivers. When he played and played

well and got the ball to feet, he caused damage. But when he wasn''t on

his game, he was a luxury we could ill afford. When he was in the team

he usually had Steeno behind him who regularly had an impossible job to

defend when the guy in front of him was going walk about. He had a

thankless task defending the right wing and usually did so manfully.

But one of my, and no doubt many others, most harrowing recent-ish

experiences watching City was at Forest 2 or 3 years ago. Rivers was at

right wing and Steeno behind him. That day, floating behind a front two

of harewood and johnson was one D Huckerby - oh the irony!! Steeno got

skinned, turned inside out and roasted that day because, as well as us

playing badly generally, he had no protection because Rivers was having

another stinker. 4-0 was the final score and it could have been much

worse.

Worthy would do well to remember the system that got us out of this

leagues the first time: 4-3-3. That harnesses hux talent''s best and

limits his downsides less than when he''s on the wing.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there A1, I posted a thread before the season started saying that I thought we didn''t have the players for 4-4-2 formation and I still stand by that.  4-3-3 would be the ideal way of getting the best of both Hux and McVeigh.  Allowing Hux the freedom to do as he wishes means he could get hold of the ball in area''s where he can run at players and not be marked by two players.  Playing left midfield he is tied down and expected to play in a way he has never done before.

I think one of Worthy''s biggest problems for 18 months is that he has not found a way of playing Hux without exposing the team in certain area''s.  I would love to see a front 3 of Ashton, Huckerby and McVeigh.

oh yeah, i thought it was a three month job! the issue of him sigining

a permanent deal seems to have been in the (championship) news a lot

lately so i assumed his loan was about to expire...

if we got Koumas id run naked through chapelfield mall.. hes a good player so we have no chance!

Steeno, now theres someone we miss... anyone remember his Rocket vs coventry???? and he could actually beat the first man at a corner unlike most of the current rubbish!

jas :)

er, excuse me, he''s playin for Cardiff for goodness sake. why do we

have such a low opinion of ourselves? they''re average attendance this

season is 11,000ish, which means almost HALF of their stadium is empty

every week. 

i seem to remember a few offers to get naked if huckerby signed! not

many gave us a chance of getting ashton either. if we wanted koumas

we''d have good chance assuming we had the deano/greeno cash for the

transfer fee.

thing is we already had a chance with hucks due to the fact he spent 3 months here..

Cardiff might have woeful attendances but their league position is healthy... which again works against us.

jas :)

He may do a job at norwich ,but in my opinion wouldn''t be a good signing. Originally i said we should sign him but from what i have heard he can be moody, inconsistent - thats why WBA let him go. When cardiff came to us he was hardly in the game and didn''t seem up for it, a bit too cold for him. He wouldn''t fit in at norwich and certainly isn''t a nigel worthington type  player

Its definitely a season long loan he''s on and the amount of noise he''s making in the press about wanting to stay permanently suggests that any other club can forget him.

What about Michael Brown and Sean Davis from Spurs reserves for the rest of the season.One creator/scorer and one destroyer - both of them have been quoted this week as desperate to see first team action and both willing to go on loan.Or have we had our quota from them this year with Dav/Marney ?

Cardiff27-07-2005 Loan 20 (2)70 (0)02 (1)10 (0)0
West Brom29-08-2002 Â£ 2250000 69 (15)144 (1)05 (0)00 (0)0
Tranmere20-02-199829-08-2002Trainee 96 (31)259 (0)59 (5)20 (0)0

And at cardiff this year it is also 8 assists, yep he may have been quiet against us but i dont remember any other player on the park making any noises that day......

Also you may also remember that we are crap..  And he could help get us those elusive goals we find so hard to come by.

But you are right he is not a worthy style player - he has talent!!!!  I bet you would swap positions in the league with cardiff too at the moment

It is a season long loan but these can be cancelled if a move can be agreed elsewhere.  The key blocker is Koumas seems to be thriving under Jones and wants to continue working with him..

As a fall back we should go for Idiakez or Brown.  I haev suggested Davis before but his come and get me plea earlier this week will mean another prem club is likely to get him.

OTBC