Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

OT: Mark Hollis dead.

At 64. I'm so sad, yet again. All my favourites dying off.

I loved Life's What You Make It & It's My Life back in the day, but his last (self titled) album was incredible. I keep replaying The Daily Planet.

His was such an odd voice with something of the cockney-from-another-planetness of some of Bowie's work (both reminded me of Anthony Newley) but capable of great subtlety & introspection & humanity; in many ways I associate him with Michael Stipe.

RIP Mark. 

• Like 1

The Colour of Spring was to me one of the great albums of its era and I played it until there were deep grooves on the vinyl. And the Live at Montreux gig was quite memorable. And of course Its My Life produced one of the great bass riffs.

• Like 1

I know this is a little weird. But.... I put on the Spirit of Eden album LP into the turntable at the weekend but it wouldn't play through the speakers (yet CD and tape etc worked). I resolved to check the speaker wire connectors of course, but still didn't get round to it.

I hadn't heard the album for maybe a decade and really wanted to listen again (a backdrop to work at home). I will do it this week with some ritual I think.

I'm sad. Hollis was a special person, so unbothered by fame, the music business. It was something he just did and then he focussed on his family.

Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are two incredible albums (works of art) and - as it's been pointed to above - Mark Hollis really couldn't be bothered with the sideshow of fame and ****, within the music industry...Rest in peace

1 hour ago, The Bristol Nest said:

I downloaded Spirit of Eden recently. I don't tend to listen to older music but this album is timeless,non-commercial and brilliant.

Older music? Before your time?... it was after my time 🙁

Older music? Before your time?... it was after my time

My wife and I went on a cruise a few of years ago. Obviously, evenings, after dinner are entertainment whether drinking or dancing or just people watching. Or in our case all three. After a couple of nights of boring stuff my wife grabbed the entertainments manager and told that the majority of the people on this cruise were brought up in the era of Presley, Beatles, Hendrix, Pink Floyd etc and while in good health like to enjoy themselves and didn't want to hear muzak type dirges. In fact we had recently been to a Tubes concert in Penzance.

The guy looked shocked and ready to pat us on the head and give us a lump of sugar. 

Just because we are grey and the bones don't move as quick, we do know what we like. And I will still be listening to Talk Talk until I die.

• Like 2

I've just looked them up, it wasn't before or after my time, just not on my radar. I was more into metal and at that time was sharing digs with  Paul Di'Anno, ex Maiden lead singer, those were the days. 

On 28/02/2019 at 19:57, splendidrush said:

I've just looked them up, it wasn't before or after my time, just not on my radar. I was more into metal and at that time was sharing digs with  Paul Di'Anno, ex Maiden lead singer, those were the days. 

My longtime love of music was kickstarted by Paul Di'Anno/Maiden. Hearing him belting out Running Free when I was about 10ish got me hooked👍

Anyway, for anyone interested, a tribute show for Mark Hollis is just about to come on on 6music

• Thanks 1