Sign in to follow this  
Scooby

Who's the best manager ever?

Who do you think has been Norwich City''s best ever manager?

I have been following City for 37 years and I would say Mike Walker has been the best manager I have seen in charge at the club. The football we played during his spell in charge was very exciting to watch,  we even had Alan Hansen praising us on a Saturday night.

Dave Stringer his side played super attacking football and layed the ground work that Mike Walker built on oh for a midfield now of disco Dale, Mick Phelen, Andy Townsend and Trevor Putney (vastley underated by many City folk)and all this with Chippy Crook on the sidelines happy days :)))

Dave Stringer, not only the best Manager but also the finest ever Club man. A true legend IMO.

Walker carried on the legacy well but is phased out by that other great Club man, Ken Brown.

It has to be between stringer, brown and walker - brown qualified us for europe first but for heysel while stringer took us to an fa cup semi and laid the foundations for the europe season second yet first time around..

Probably stringer for me

OTBC

Easy, Dave Stringer the only Norwich manager who never managed outside the top division. This is based on supporting Norwich since 1949.

Best - probably Walker (the first time only though), followed by Stringer, Saunders, and McCauly (on the basis that you have to someone special to get a Third Divison team within a whisker of an FA Cup Final.)

Worst - too many to list but Hamilton would be a strong contender as would Lol Morgan.

Most entertaining, and certainly one of the best, it has to be John Bond - never a dull moment, encouraged attractive football and he was a great character - his lad wasn''t a bad player either.

It''s actually probably not Walker, Stringer or Brown. Pound-for-pound, I reckon it was Archie MacAulay - who, with the dust barely having settled from a nightmarish period in our history which saw Geoffrey Watling''s generosity save us from closure, and the humiliation of us being forced to apply for re-election after propping up the entire Football League in 1956/7 - performed the astounding, almost superhuman feat of leading us in back-to-back-to-back seasons to first the extraordinary 1958/9 FA Cup run (a run never bettered by a team from the third tier of English football), then to a first-ever promotion to the Second Division, and finally to a magnificent fourth place finish in Division Two in 1960/1 - before leaving in frustration at the club''s lack of ambition (sound familiar, anyone...?). Under MacAulay, this club basically entered the modern era - and all NCFC supporters owe him a profound debt of thanks. 

how does this work?

Team                       Pld          Total            Highest          Average        Capacity           Pct
1 Norwich City (16) 11        275525           27470           25048            25500            98.2%

Highest = 27470

Capacity = 25500

then home come out hight capacity is higher than what we can hold? [*-)]

Wrong thread, AJ mate ;-)

I''m too young, but Ron Saunders doesn''t seem to be getting a mention. He took us to our first taste of the top flight and two league cup finals didn''t he? Can''t have been too bad! It never felt so good as Walker''s 1st reign tho........gone all nostalgic now ;-(

Not only were some of the best manager but several had a dam good assistant as well   Bond/Brown  Brown/Machin  Stringer/Williams

for me the Stringer/Williams ...  just shades it for me

Ken Brown, not only for what he did while he was in charge but for the players he left behind that formed the back bone of our side through Stringer and Walker.

This is a tough one for me. Hard to choose between Ken Brown, Dave Stringer and Mike Walker(1) but I think overall Stringer just shades it.

Totally agree MacAulay led us out of those dark days when collections were made at the ground just to keep the club going. He took us to the semi final and promotion and as you say entered the modern era.

Saunders took the club to a new level of fitness (still not bettered by todays players) and a total ninety minutes of energy perhaps without some of todays skill.

Its got to be John Deehan. Anybody who can play Rob Newman up front as a genuine striker and not a fill in has got to be just so out there as to make Jose Mourinho look like a home counties conservative.

Seriously though I add to the Stringer camp. He created the team that got to Europe and took us to new levels as a club.