Icecream Snow

O/T Chelsea Keeper refuses to be Substituted

I watched it, was absolutely mental. He made a decent save on one pen but let another squirm through his hands. He quite possibly just cost Chelsea the cup, I would have fancied them to win it with Caballero in for the shoot out.

Sidenote - Hazard's penalty was sensational given the situation. What a player he is.

Never seen anything like it.

Thinking about it I'd never seen a team have to sub off three players due to injury in the first half either before today (Man Utd).

Disgraceful behaviour from Kepa. To do that to your manager in front of a packed Wembley and broadcast to millions is inexcusable. Interesting to see what happens from here

Sarri has said it was a misunderstanding and no action will be taken! If it was all a misunderstanding why didn’t someone simply tell Sarri before all the arm waving and shouting that followed to the whole watching world?

Sadly will be another sign of player power, like Mourinho Pogba. The player is a much larger asset and Sarri is doing all he can to defuse the situation and keep his job (if he hasn’t lost it already).

Still disgusting behaviour from Kepa (and the rest of the Chelsea team who should have dragged him off)

In Kepa's defence, what was the message coming from the bench as to why he was being substituted?....was it because they belived Caballero would be better in the penalty shootout or was it because they believed him to be injured?, if it was the latter and Kepa wasn't injured then he'd have every right to protest not to come off?

Maybe he should have run over to the manager and told him, or talk his captain that as an alternative? 

23 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

In Kepa's defence, what was the message coming from the bench as to why he was being substituted?....was it because they belived Caballero would be better in the penalty shootout or was it because they believed him to be injured?, if it was the latter and Kepa wasn't injured then he'd have every right to protest not to come off?

Nonsense. You accept your managers decision, whatever the reason. If he wanted to explain why he didn’t want to come off, then do so. But to stand there waving his arms around and not even talking to anyone, is wrong and should be punished.

8 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Nonsense. You accept your managers decision, whatever the reason. If he wanted to explain why he didn’t want to come off, then do so. But to stand there waving his arms around and not even talking to anyone, is wrong and should be punished.

....I think he did explain why he didnt want to come off...quite abundantly, with his actions and gesticulations with his arms and hands?

....put yourself in his place, its a cup final, he's being told to come off because the bench think he's injured when he isn't , of course he's going to protest, regardless of what position he plays on the field, just as you'd expect an outfield player to.

Now ,if Sarri wanted to bring Caballero on because he believed he would have been better in a penalty shootout situation then more fool him for not being more forceful in that situation and personally dragging him off if necessary

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Putting myself in his place, I would’ve avoided all confusion and potential accusations of poor behaviour by explaining very clearly to the physio I was fine to carry on. If my manager then made the decision to not take a risk on an injury to his goalkeeper with a penalty shootout fast approaching having now been on the deck with the injury twice, I would have had to accept it. The manager is the boss and he has made a decision after presumably speaking to the physio who would’ve explained my feelings. If I was still that aggrieved at the decision I would’ve spoken to my captain or gone to the touch line myself to explain. I would not refuse to leave the pitch when being told to by all the coaching staff and manager.

Each to their own and he will win this battle as he is the asset to the club, but sad times to see such a reaction and sadder still to have people defend his reaction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Putting myself in his place, I would’ve avoided all confusion and potential accusations of poor behaviour by explaining very clearly to the physio I was fine to carry on. If my manager then made the decision to not take a risk on an injury to his goalkeeper with a penalty shootout fast approaching having now been on the deck with the injury twice, I would have had to accept it. The manager is the boss and he has made a decision after presumably speaking to the physio who would’ve explained my feelings. If I was still that aggrieved at the decision I would’ve spoken to my captain or gone to the touch line myself to explain. I would not refuse to leave the pitch when being told to by all the coaching staff and manager.

Each to their own and he will win this battle as he is the asset to the club, but sad times to see such a reaction and sadder still to have people defend his reaction.

....yet in Sarri's post match press conference he has said that there was confusion that he believed Kepa had cramp but it emerged that he actually hadn't and you'd have assume the physio backs that up.

...no mention at all of any tactical substitution either

Again, it was well within Kepas control to make it clear he was fine to carry on.

It looks like the bench knew he wanted to carry on but made the decision to not risk the most important player in the penalty shootout who’d gone down twice quite clearly with cramp, plus caballero has a decent record with pens and would be fresh. Kepa knew all this but simply wanted to play and so rather than take part in a conversation he already knew the answer to, he simply refused to move and created an embarrassing situation that Sarri had no choice but to give in to (he’d already had the referee come over to ask what was going on like a teacher in a playground). Obviously from there, Sarri can either explain the truth, lose his job (player power will win) and be humiliated to millions around the world.... or backtrack, blame it on a misunderstanding and try to keep his job for a few more weeks.

• Like 1

The Sarri press conference is a nonsense to dismiss the swirl of publicity. He was bringing Caballero on for the shootout because he is excellent at penalties. You dont sub your keeper with 90seconds of play left ahead of a penalty shootout for one who just so happens to be brilliant at penalties for cramp. Its ludicrous to suggest otherwise and Kepa winking at the camera at the final whistle lends even less credence to a pretty transparent Sarri excuse.

Edited by kick it off

well if it really was for tactical reasons - which at no stage has been mentioned - and between Sarri and his coaching staff they weren't able to force the substitution, then they are culpable in not being able to make it happen.

...one other point that I genuinely don't know the answer to....does the substitution have to be made before the end of extra time ...or could it still be made after extra time and before the penalty shootout starts?

If its the latter and Sarri STILL didnt make the substition despite having all his players, subs, coaching staff and physios around him on the touchline, then doubly more fool him , if he really did want to do this for tactical reasons

Has to be made before full time, that’s why you see keepers subbed occasionally a few minutes before full time.

Sarri is fuming. If it’s just a case of the manager thinking the player is injured, the player saying he’s okay and the manager stopping the sub, then Sarri doesn’t go throwing bottles and walking down the tunnel. 

The keeper never plays again if I was the manager. Although frankly, in the situation Sarri is in currently, I wouldn’t have blamed him if he quit straight after. Disgraceful from the keeper.

2 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Sarri is fuming. If it’s just a case of the manager thinking the player is injured, the player saying he’s okay and the manager stopping the sub, then Sarri doesn’t go throwing bottles and walking down the tunnel. 

Nailed it.

Sarri was certainly furious (at such a misunderstanding 😂), and should be even more so now as he was right. We’ll never know but Kepa shouldn’t have let one pen slip underneath him

14 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Well if its as important as a winning a cup ...or his very job being at stake, march onto the pitch and drag him off by his ear if necessary...

Is that a serious suggestion? A manager can’t encroach onto the pitch, plus he shouldn’t have to, hes the manager. Imagine how much more of a laughing stock and how much quicker he’d be out of a job (with little propect of another big job) if he’d gone running onto the pitch after Kepa and tried to carry him off the pitch 😂

His job was looking a lot safer after 90mins of stopping the defending champions of league and cup from scoring. Kepa decided to crush all that good work in one swift move that Sarri had no choice but to put an end to once Moss came over to ask what the hell was going on. Sarri was made a laughing stock in one moment of childish petulance and he was quite rightly, furious

Edited by Fiery Zac

....no, sorry....if he really wanted to make the substitution he would have made it happen by hook or by crook.....there were still 2 or 3 breaks in play in between that flashpoint and the final whistle when it had calmed down where he could have still done it , if he'd really wanted to.......unless of course he'd realised by then his keeper wasnt actually injured?

Here's our very own Tim Krul coming off the bench in injury time of extra time to win a World Cup match penalty shoot out for the Netherlands in 2014. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....no, sorry....if he really wanted to make the substitution he would have made it happen by hook or by crook.....there were still 2 or 3 breaks in play in between that flashpoint and the final whistle when it had calmed down where he could have still done it , if he'd really wanted to.......unless of course he'd realised by then his keeper wasnt actually injured?

What?? Try and substitute a player a few minutes after already refusing? It was an unprecedented situation that Sarri dealt with in the only way possible. It had already undermined Sarri and gone on way too long (Kepa should’ve simply accepted it) which is why he went ballistic and walked away. It was clear Kepa wasn’t moving and with the rest of the Chelsea team backing Kepa and not Sarri, he simply had no choice but to backtrack, which is then what he’s done since.

Anyway, agree to disagree. As I said, player power will win, I expect Sarri to be gone soon. Shame as it was a disgraceful display from Kepa and he got his justice by failing in the shootout and losing Chelsea the final.

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

After all that drama and Kepa refusing to come off, thoroughly humiliating Sarri, you think Sarri was going to have a do over and have it happen again?