Sign in to follow this  
Web Team - Celia Sutton

Who would you choose to replace Nigel Worthington as manager?

Dave Penney (Doncaster) - promotion to 1st Division & has beaten premier teams in League Cup

Steve Coppell (Reading) - consistently successful & knows the championsip inside out

Steve Cotterill (Burnley) - another good young manager, has made Burnley play-off contenders

Phil Parkinson (Colchester) - huge impact since taking over

Definitely NO untried ex-Norwich players i.e. Crook, Bowen, Roberts. Common sense over sentiment!

1. Holloway

2. Burley YEAH RIGHT!!  ditto one of the above posts re. how can we slate him for years then beg that he comes here? My god how much would he be laughing to himself behind our backs!

PLEASE PLEASE no ex norwich players however good.  Yes as assistant and certainly as coach for the likes of crook and bowen but NOT manager please!!

In orde of preference:

1. George Burley (we''ll never get him though: he''s waiting for a decent Premiership job to become available)

2. Joe Royle: excellent record at this level, and would be a good short-term ''horses for courses'' choice. His direct style of play and Ipswich links would stick in the craw of many, though

3. Mike Newell: exactly the kind of hungry, ambitious young manager we need if (as I believe) the club decides basically to start again and completely rebuild the team. He''s taken Luton as far as he possibly can, is unhappy about their continued problems with building a new ground, and Norwich is a far bigger club. In terms of REALISTIC choices, he''d be the best in my view

4. Martin Allen: doing a wonderfully passionate job at Brentford, where he''d probably be loathe to leave. It''s hard to see what more he could do with them than promotion to the Championship though - and surely, he must feel he has bigger fish to fry

5. Steve Tilson: as others have noted, he''s achieved wonders at Southend: getting them into promotion contention in League 1 when most observers - quite understandably - thought they''d go straight back down is an amazing achievement. I reckon it''s too early for us to go in for him though: he''d be too cheap an option, and we really need to see if he can sustain it at Roots Hall before deciding if he can cut it at a higher level

George Burley for me - forget the Ipswich connection - he''s an

intelligent manager with a good tactical understanding of the game, oh,

and his teams actually pass the ball to each others feet!

1. Sir Alex Ferguson, 2. Martin O''Neil, 3. George Burley. As the 1st two are unavailable, or at least unrealistic propositions, I have to opt for Mr Burley out of those football managers who are currently available. It doesn''t bother me that he used to manage the scum. I feel he could steady the ship at Carrow Road, and then hopefully in the fullness of time steer us towards the promised land.

F**k off Georgie Burley
Oh what can it mean
To a sad Scottish b**stard
And my... own football team.

Doesn''t work for me.

the problem with Burley is if he doesn''t start winning straight away, he will be slaughtered for his roots.

Newell is the most realistic choice i think.

Yep a man who has signed the biggest load of tosh players for us......

How many got a game today

No goals thorne - substituted

The great Andy Hughes (my reading fan friend could not beleive he was the sort of player we were going for) nice chap no quality

Various loan signings the best of whom is about to leave

Oh yeah good result against a terrible 2nd bottom crewe side.. lets see the follow up win against the saints next week cos if not......... i tell ya it is mid table mediocraty all the way

Nice to see worthys hated player save his job too.... talent over cloggeers 4 me please

[quote user="Paul Rankin"]

Nice to see worthys hated player save his job too.... talent over cloggeers 4 me please[/quote]

C''mon Paul, Worthy doesn''t hate Zipper, he just hates his

inconsistency. Whenever the little guy doesn''t get a game, Worthy

fronts up & tells him what''s wrong - when he applies himself he

gets a game. You must have seen him go missing loads of times, he can

light us up, but only when he decides to!

1)George Burley.
2) Adrain Boothroyd.

the quicker we get rid of worthy the quicker we can get a nw manager and the quicker we get back to being watchable.

From the suggestions throughout this thread, it''s abundantly clear the reason NW hasn''t been sacked...

Realisitically, there''s nobody better out there to replace him.

Mike Walker? Shocking.

Mike Newell? No.

George Burley? The worst suggestion of all.

My choice would be Doncaster manager Dave Penney...Likes to play football in the right way, pass and move, using width and plenty of crosses in to the box. Passionate and a top bloke.

That said, I don''t think we should give up on NW just yet...close, but not quite yet. The feeling seems to be that most fans would rather see us finish 19th under a new manager than sneak a playoff spot under Worthington...which is quite sad.

At the end of the day, we support the club...and clearly the team are underperforming. It''s not as simple, however, as ''Sack Worthington and we''ll rocket up the league playing superbly attractive football''

Who''d be on the board of directors eh! [;)]

To all those Fans who are against George Burley becoming a Norwich City Manager just because of his Ipswich connections. Just think a minute about what you are saying.

Okay Burley used to manage Ipswich but if he got the job of manager at Norwich he is not going to get us relegated on purpose just for a laugh is he?

If anyone connected with football be it Managers, Players, Physios and Coaching Staff because of their passed connections to rival clubs there would be no need for the Transfer Market. Daryl Sutch gave 10 Years sterling service to Norwich City and yet he was an Ipswich Supporter and still is. 

A lot of people in football work with clubs but are supporters of  other clubs as fans are you going to hold that against them?

My choice is Simon Clifford who is at Garforth Town and was released by Southampton because his coaching methods did not fit their regime. He coaches the Brazilian way and does''nt suffers fools gladly. He is a bit like the late Brian Clough.

He brings a bit of fresh air to the modern game.

Chris   

Steve Coppell - but there''s no chance now. He''s intelligent, experienced and committed to his job. Perhaps over-commitment has led to him quitting in the past, but I think he''d find a receptive board here. However....

To all of you who are slating Burley for his links with that lot down the road, now I don''t spend too much time reading the East Anglian Daily Times or perusing their boards but I''m pretty sure that Big Fat Joe wasn''t too much of a problem for them - despite his time spent at City...

That said, I don''t rate him as a manager - I''d rather see Holloway or Allen here with a backroom team of Crook & Bowen...

I don''t slate Burley because of his Scum links, but because of his

record since then. Yes he''s produced teams that have improved results,

so why have successive clubs decided to rid themselves of his services?

Accusations of alcohol abuse have been levelled at him by players and

boardrooms. Why would we add these potential problems to a team already

troubled and uncertain of itself?

I still back Worthy, he''s yet to prove he''s sorting it, but he can have all season, for good or ill, then a decision can be made come May.

George Burley''s Managerial Record

TeamFromToGamesWonLostDrawn
Hearts 30-06-2005 21-10-2005 12912
Derby 31-03-2003 07-06-2005 107394325
Ipswich 28-12-1994 11-10-2002 40918512797
Colchester 01-06-1994 24-11-1994 20875

not bad considering derby were heading to division one when he arrived (and he signed Rasiak and Idiakiz for them)

Nigel Worthington''s Managerial Record

TeamFromToGamesWonLostDrawn
Norwich 04-12-2000 Present  244988957
Blackpool 08-07-1997 23-12-1999 134445634

and getting worse as the weeks go by