Sign in to follow this  
glory.win or die.

When we were rubbish,and the scum weren't!

So, my dad finally returned my 200+ programmes yesterday  from my first game in 1987 until I decided to spend the money on a beer instead.

But amongst the happy memories I found an Ipswich program,funnily enough for when they beat us 5-0 in 1998.

I have no idea how I got it, I did go to the beam back at Carrow Road on the big screen, were they sold there does anyone remember?? I don't remember buying one...

20190224_190334.jpg

Although it was hard to take, I could accept being beaten by them in the 70s. They were one of the top sides in the Country and Sir Bobby had them playing great football. 

Since then the balance has evened up and the only time that they really gave us a tonking was when we were poor rather than them being any good. 

More recently of course, we've continued to make progress while they've been left behind, culminating in this Season's demise. 

Having statues, Roads named after former players or Managers and parts of the Stadium the same, means today's current crop are forever in their shadow, a constant reminder of glory years that they'll never replicate. 

Yes,we've got memories of our own... but it doesn't define us.

My first ever game was when I was 8, Easter 1978 at Portman Road.  I think Greg Downs made his debut in the game, they were below us but won comfortably 4-0 (and won the Cup a couple of months later).  I was with family all supporting Ipswich but in those days I didn’t know any better and was (sort-of) a Liverpool ‘fan’ (something to do with Ray Clemence and Kevin Keegan, and them being on tv all the time!) until I saw the light in the early 80s.

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

My first ever game was when I was 8, Easter 1978 at Portman Road.  I think Greg Downs made his debut in the game, they were below us but won comfortably 4-0 (and won the Cup a couple of months later).  I was with family all supporting Ipswich but in those days I didn’t know any better and was (sort-of) a Liverpool ‘fan’ (something to do with Ray Clemence and Kevin Keegan, and them being on tv all the time!) until I saw the light in the early 80s.

Go now my son, say 10 hail Farke's and never sin again.😀

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

...I’ve already cleansed myself of my youthful mistake over the last 40 years🙂!

Your honesty is a lesson to us all.😉

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I went to that game, I remember Keith Robson doing his best impression of a footballer, wasn't convinced. 

Even when they had a good side in the late 70's- early 80's we'd always still give them a good game....and knocked them out of a cup competition or two along the way aswell

....the third from last game of the 80-81 season when they narrowly lost out on the league title to Villa, we beat them 1-0 at Carrow Rd with a goal from Justin Fashanu which put a serious dent in their title chances....we ultimately still got relegated at the end of that season ...but at least we helped stop them win the league.

12 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

...but at least we helped stop them win the league.

That's a theme being discussed on TWTD atm, how funny it would be to let Leeds win on the last day to stop us from going up. Like they've got any say in the matter, Leeds will destroy them anyway. 

...indeed..., they have sheff utd penultimate game too.

As if after the season theyve had and the god awful side they have on the pitch that they can pick or choose whether they should lose to those sides of not!?!

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Back to that 0-5 game....unfortunately I was there.....an awful experience

I said in the week leading up to the game that if Mike Walker played Peter Grant and Shaun Carey ( the slowest,most legless midfield partnership we've arguably ever had) that we would get hammered.

He did play them..and we did get hammered.

It later emerged that Walker offered his resignation after that game which was turned down by the board

29 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Back to that 0-5 game....unfortunately I was there.....an awful experience

I said in the week leading up to the game that if Mike Walker played Peter Grant and Shaun Carey ( the slowest,most legless midfield partnership we've arguably ever had) that we would get hammered.

He did play them..and we did get hammered.

It later emerged that Walker offered his resignation after that game which was turned down by the board

Shaun Carey, he's one of those players I have forgotten even existed. 

The only similarities between that Ipswich team and this one is they have 11 men and the shirts have white sleeves.  

And thank goodness we dumped our all yellow kit b.t.w with those oversized sleeves designed for Popeye. 

It’s not like we’re in denial that they had a good side though. I was coached in my younger (more athletic) days by Trevor Whymark, scored past Paul Cooper but also count Trevor Hockey and Ian Culverhouse on that list along with Mike Sutton. 

Trevor Whymark was really good to be honest, as were Cully and Sutton (although Sutton was a **** for fitness, running and what you did without the ball). The best was Hockey by a mile. I wasn’t even very old but I remember standing on a cold October day in the pouring rain waiting to go through a drill again while everyone else had taken shelter. He recognised that I was just a little kid that loved football and he loved that. I mean, I was rubbish, my right foot is a wrong foot. But I wanted to be out there. 

Anyway, yeah, they had a good side for a few years but I’m 40 and didn’t have a season ticket until 1984. They were shot by then. So for all their illustrious history it won’t be long before they’re consigned to written accounts as they peg out. Done nothing since 81. Nearly forty bloody years. 

I went through Binnerland today.

Mrs R fancied a look at Frinton on Sea.

No sign of anyone wearing their colours.

I kept mine covered up just in case😀

3 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Anyway, yeah, they had a good side for a few years but I’m 40 and didn’t have a season ticket until 1984. They were shot by then. So for all their illustrious history it won’t be long before they’re consigned to written accounts as they peg out. Done nothing since 81. Nearly forty bloody years. 

.... but they'll argue that we've done nothing, ever. You can't win with them, you can talk about them being broke, or that they haven't won a Derby in 10 years, have dodged the Premier League for a generation and are on the edge of the abyss (League 1) and their stock answer is 'but at least we've got a History '

Good luck with that, claiming glory for events that occurred before most of their fans were born is like me bragging about defeating the Armada. 

• Like 1

The other day on twtd someone had paired a link to a table showing all time success in English football to show how superior they were, we were 31st, they were 26th, far behind such luminaries as Huddersfield town, Bolton Wanderers and PNE. You don't hear fans of those teams banging on about how they used to be the best team in the country and everyone loving them (or having stars on their badges)... Not sure what my point was, but it does say a lot about ipswich....

Since 1986 , theyve been in the top division of English football for FIVE of the last 33 seasons, we've probably been in it three times that amount during that period of time....despite their delusions of grandeur as to their standing within English football, they are an irrelevance, and once (although I'm still not convinced it will happen) they drop to Division 3 , their descent into the black hole will be complete, where they can compare rusty old pots and pans with the likes of Blackpool.

Will they come back?....maybe...but they could just as easily turn into a swindon or oldham

.....but they did win a cup 40 years ago....