Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The view from a reluctant river ender

I usually go for the City Stand or the Barclay, so it was with some trepidation I went to my casual ticket seat in the front row just behind the goal at the River End yesterday.  I didn't expect a good view, or expect much noise. I was pleasantly surprised because the noise was brilliant from the crowd from start to finish - who says the river end is quiet??  Also the view was surprisingly good, especially being so close to the action.  Getting the feeling of scale as to where the play was on the pitch was harder to do, but didn't really spoil the match.  

Two things I noticed and one was the amount of shouting and chivvying the defence that Krul does - much more than I would have thought and shows maybe why he is so important as an experienced goalie. 

The other thing was the danger of having your head knocked off before the match by all the balls being hit towards the goal in the warm up! The big nets that are put up pre-match are not strong enough nor vertical enough - so many balls hit wide or over virtually without a break - it was dangerous if you took your eye off the action for a moment - one ball ran up and over the net and slap into the side of someone's face behind me. Not fit for purpose - Bolton's last week were much better. 

A minor complaint, I know and I wouldn't choose to sit there normally, but the people around me were great and I enjoyed the match from a different perspective and being so close to the goal was awesome - and my opinion of Krul went up....and he got his hand to the Bristol first goal which I don't think people have mentioned, he just couldn't quite keep it out. 

Edited by lake district canary

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

A minor complaint, I know and I wouldn't choose to sit there normally, but the people around me were great and I enjoyed the match from a different perspective and being so close to the goal was awesome - and my opinion of Krul went up....and he got his hand to the Bolton first goal which I don't think people have mentioned, he just couldn't quite keep it out. 

Bristol Lakey

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

- and my opinion of Krul went up....and he got his hand to the Bolton first goal which I don't think people have mentioned, he just couldn't quite keep it out. 

Only about 3 months late going for it then.😀

Glad you mentioned the noise that does come from the River End Lakey because where i sit in The City Stand it can also be heard especially when OTBC is sung just prior to kick off or yellows being chanted when a corner is given at that end.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Glad you mentioned the noise that does come from the River End Lakey because where i sit in The City Stand it can also be heard especially when OTBC is sung just prior to kick off or yellows being chanted when a corner is given at that end.

There are a few of us in there who do try. Actually it can be quite good...……..for the River end.

The Barclay use to chant 'sing up the River end' 

• Like 1

River End. It’s not been the same since they took the terraces down 🙂

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1