Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Head Coach / Manager fan connection

It's quite interesting to me that it feels like if a head coach / manager can connect with the fans, then the players really will fall in line and get behind them too. It used to be about getting the dressing room on side, but now it feels like it's the other way round. Get the fans on side.

I feel like Daniel Farke has such a connection with the fans now that the players will automatically fall in line and work hard to keep his respect. The whole orchestra thing he does is great and sends a message to the players to trust what is going on. We saw how the Oliveria / Fulham incident played out. Perhaps that's what Lambert is trying to do at Ipswich too, only in a cruder way.

What player power?

Edited by Michael Starr

Tell that to Paul Lambert 😂 He has the fans sucking from his teats but still can't buy a win.

I'm not sure that getting the fans onside has had a massive impact for Farke - I think the players falling into line has more to do with the way he stonewalled Oliviera at the first possible opportunity, and the recruitment work we put in to get good characters and team players into the building. Not to mention, that Daniel carries an air of respectability - he's not a het up little goblin like Wilder etc. Farke ALWAYS backs his squad, he's always quick to credit the players and push plaudits away from himself - even to the point where he shakes the hand and has a chat with every single player before he comes over to the fans. He literally doesn't come anywhere near the fans until every player has been over and he has spoken to them all. I think that has way more to do with things than having the fans onside.

I do however think that the fans being onside will help with player retention and Farke retention. It's clear how much the club means to Farke which is why we're all relatively relaxed despite him being out of contract in a couple of months - sure it'd be nice to get it done sooner rather than later but does anybody honestly believe Farke will jump ship if a different opportunity came his way? I can only speak for myself but I hold little concern of Farke walking away in June. Is Teemu Pukki going to be putting in a transfer request after achieving god status in Norfolk? Sure, money talks, but I can't see any of our players wanting out from what we have at the moment unless the club decides their number is up. 

It's quite clear that it is part of the overall plan to include the fans as much as possible, to make that connection.  It returns football to what it should be - about people.  It restores the connection between players and fans, making them seem more human and part of the club and Daniel has been brilliant with the way he has approached things, not only on the pitch, but with the way he talks so honestly and openly.  He has embraced the club and the area totally and seems at one with the task he took on.

I don't want to get too deep with it, but the philosophy is absolutely in line with the living in the now buddhist way of looking at things.  Loving kindness and respect throughout, everyone is important and valued, no chasing dreams, just making sure you're focussed on the present and enjoying that.  That is why things seem so great at the moment - it is just brillant to be part of such togetherness.

Success will come on the back of that if the spirit is maintained (and there is no reason why it shouldn't).  Bill Shankly once said football is more important than religion...well I wouldn't go that far, but certainly, what is happening at our club is totally special.

So Farke is the focal point of that and he has a briliant philosophy, but it hasn't happened by chance, it comes from the desire of the club to go down this route - from DS/MJW at the top, Ed Balls who I believe had a lot to do with how things have developed, their appointment of Webber who in turn enabled us to get Farke and the kind of players we have.

People say it is great to be a Norwich fan at the moment and that is true - stay in the moment and good things will happen - it's a philosophy for life. 

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Tell that to Paul Lambert 😂 He has the fans sucking from his teats but still can't buy a win.

I'm not sure that getting the fans onside has had a massive impact for Farke - I think the players falling into line has more to do with the way he stonewalled Oliviera at the first possible opportunity, and the recruitment work we put in to get good characters and team players into the building. Not to mention, that Daniel carries an air of respectability - he's not a het up little goblin like Wilder etc. Farke ALWAYS backs his squad, he's always quick to credit the players and push plaudits away from himself - even to the point where he shakes the hand and has a chat with every single player before he comes over to the fans. He literally doesn't come anywhere near the fans until every player has been over and he has spoken to them all. I think that has way more to do with things than having the fans onside.

I do however think that the fans being onside will help with player retention and Farke retention. It's clear how much the club means to Farke which is why we're all relatively relaxed despite him being out of contract in a couple of months - sure it'd be nice to get it done sooner rather than later but does anybody honestly believe Farke will jump ship if a different opportunity came his way? I can only speak for myself but I hold little concern of Farke walking away in June. Is Teemu Pukki going to be putting in a transfer request after achieving god status in Norfolk? Sure, money talks, but I can't see any of our players wanting out from what we have at the moment unless the club decides their number is up. 

I have always seen Farke has a very balanced character, from day one. He is determined but humble with it....and that has little to do with coming from Germany and managing in England. He has assembled a team around a strategy. Webber was clearly the draw. Norwich also was an upgraded version of Lippstadt FC I reckon if I might suggest.

In my view, he inspires confidence with everyone, fans and players alike. Now, that is someone very special indeed. He is not a person so defended like Lambert but open, honest and emotionally available. We are very lucky to have such a character and this kind of  leader ( if only we had such leadership in our national politics). I am so pleased it has come (is coming) good for him and his footballing principles are bearing fruit. I've never enjoyed or felt such a connection with my team in my 50 years of support. I rarely enjoy feeling pride but these last few weeks have been special.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

Hahaha! Nailed that one KIO

If my Dog had a face like Wilder's......I'd shave its ar$e and make it walk backwards......

This truly has developed into a season to remember. I'm struggling to recall all the battling wins, late goals, comebacks, successful tactical tweaks, effective substitutions etc. So much has 'gone right' this year; it's phenomenal when you think about it. And still 12 more opportunities for stopping the heart to come. I've been following the Canaries since the late 80s and only 92/93 compares in my long-term memory. Bearing in mind that was in the top flight of course. Lambert years were very enjoyable too.

If promotion is achieved this May, it's tantalising to ponder how this 'project' will play out in the PL. Scramble for 17th or survive with a bit to spare? I'd love to get one over Man United again! Can't stand them.

What a time to be alive!

I see that DF was minding his own business today having a coffee at The Rivergarden in Thorpe and was bombarded by fans for ' selfies ' and even held a young baby belonging to a fan . He was happy to chat about football as well. Took it all in his stride and has to be admired.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

So Farke is the focal point of that and he has a briliant philosophy, but it hasn't happened by chance, it comes from the desire of the club to go down this route - from DS/MJW at the top, Ed Balls who I believe had a lot to do with how things have developed, their appointment of Webber who in turn enabled us to get Farke and the kind of players we have.

I think the 'whole package' is what is often missed by some supporters. Especially those who were griping last summer. Those who did not grasp what the long term vision was and expected the cub to almost yo yo back as twice before. We were facing a massive drop in income meaning a massive drop in outgoings(wages). One was the certain, sorting the other out was not.

As a first team squad we have found players who not only have developed but have the right mindset to succeed. Too often in recent years we have seen players who clearly did not want to be here, and gave the impression that they should be at a 'higher' level. That certainly isn't the case at the moment, and it wasn't in the period 2009-2011 nor similarly in 1971-72. It also shows that we don't necessarily need  to pay the current prices for 'ready made' players either.

A top class scouting and coaching set up has saved us millions and delivered up players worth millions. And it doesn't look like a lucky one off either. Players will now just have a longer 'gestation' period than before. Youngsters signed now will no doubt be seasons away, just as players signed have often been months away from starting, but when they do step up they are certainly good and ready.

I think this is only just the beginning.

11 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Bill Shankly once said football is more important than religion...well I wouldn't go that far, but certainly, what is happening at our club is totally special.

I think the Shankly quote is "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'

• Like 1

I have often felt with some previous managers that we seem a good fit. If they stay at the club it could be mutually beneficial.

In DFs case I have the same feeling. However, this time round and considering his background and general demeaner unlike the others, he may actually stay a while and we may as a club and manager both be rewarded.

23 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

It's quite interesting to me that it feels like if a head coach / manager can connect with the fans, then the players really will fall in line and get behind them too. It used to be about getting the dressing room on side, but now it feels like it's the other way round. Get the fans on side.

I feel like Daniel Farke has such a connection with the fans now that the players will automatically fall in line and work hard to keep his respect. The whole orchestra thing he does is great and sends a message to the players to trust what is going on. We saw how the Oliveria / Fulham incident played out. Perhaps that's what Lambert is trying to do at Ipswich too, only in a cruder way.

What player power?

Ultimately if managers win games, they are popular and they hold the cards in the dressing room. If they don’t win games then they lose power. 

Farke hasn’t really changed the things he says in the media from this season to last season. He has always been very good with his messaging and is a shrewd operator. However, last season Norwich didn’t win as many games and many fans were turning against him. If Norwich were still being mid table this season, you can pretty much guarantee fans would be calling for his head and saying how wrong Farke was to freeze out Nelson. 

• Like 1

This season he hasn't had any problem players to deal with. I can't remember some last season complaining about his treatment of Josh Murphy, Marley Watkins and Nelson Oliviera at various points in the season.

Perhaps patience IS the key in football when there's a plan. I don't see how you can ever move forward if you're forever sacking a manager... i.e. Bradford.

Edited by Michael Starr

On 24/02/2019 at 10:10, lake district canary said:

It's quite clear that it is part of the overall plan to include the fans as much as possible, to make that connection.  It returns football to what it should be - about people.  It restores the connection between players and fans, making them seem more human and part of the club and Daniel has been brilliant with the way he has approached things, not only on the pitch, but with the way he talks so honestly and openly.  He has embraced the club and the area totally and seems at one with the task he took on.

There does seem to have been a notable change in how to engage with the fans. You see guys like Talk Norwich City and ACN getting interviews with senior figures on a regular basis which just wouldn't have happened two or three years ago.