Sign in to follow this  
unique

Charge of the Light Brigade

Nothing can seemingly prepare opposing teams for when This current Norwich City team/squad are ‘in the mood’. The Bristol City defence had conceded either no goals or just one goal in every match they had played since meeting Norwich City at Ashton Gate back in mid December.

With Pukki setting the tone, constantly breaking up enemy lines with pace and intelligence, the unerring onslaught from the ‘fleet of foot’ - Hernandez, Buendia, Aarons, Lewis, Cantwell ( players who can dribble, pass, shoot and assist ), ably led by a highly skilled Stiepermann (cleverly disguised in a 6’ 2” frame), the opposition are faced with a bewildering array of attacking talent.

As if this initial wave isn’t hard enough to deal with, the second wave of Vrancic, Leitner, and now McLean, (and even Godfrey), add a heady mix of goals and assists. Has there ever been so much attacking threat throughout the team in the history of NCFC?

This team is producing high-octane football. Totally unreliant on set-pieces (and thankfully, penalties), the current  percentage of goals scored in ‘open-play’ is over 85% - a figure that would have Sam Allardyce reaching for the sick-bag.

However it comes, promotion is the least this crop of players deserve. Supporters are often asked whether they prefer entertainment or success.

Who would have thought you can have both.........

• Like 13

Nice post unique. Only the 92/93 team perhaps comes close. But the ability to provide entertainment (and lots of drama too) as well as the desire is there to be enjoyed. I think the Preston game gave them the kick they needed to get even more into 'the mood'. I think it can last the next 12 games.

Some good points, Unique, but I have to take issue with your message title.

The Charge of The Light Brigade was a stupid mistake, or series of mistakes, leading to a brigade of cavalry, unsupported by infantry, charging Russian artillery, which was supported by infantry. Add to this that the Cavalry was armed with lances and you have a recipe for disaster. The role of cavalry was changing by then, due to the improvement in infantry firepower, as can be seen by the role of cavalry in the soon tom follow American Civil War. In the ACW cavalry was used to make sweeping raids behind the enemy to disrupt lines of supply, or as fast moving mounted infantry to seize strategic positions, at which point the cavalry would dismount and fight on foot.

Anyway back to the topic. A more appropriate military metaphor might be "BlitzKrieg"

Yes a very good point

last season weaker teams knew if they sat back and kept a very organised defence they could let us pass the ball in our half without creating much real threat, and they had a decent chance of scoring from an interception or a set piece.

this season our fluid movement and attacking options are very hard to stop . Pukki gives them a real headache with his movement and the fact that he is so dangerous in his own right but also creates space for others to score .

and the team is comfortable in possession throughout. It’s not as if the other side can think “stop Pukki” or Buendía or Hernández ... because other players can and will create and take chances too

one of my faves is Zimmermann’s nicely weighted pass for Pukki’s final goal against Bolton.

2 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Some good points, Unique, but I have to take issue with your message title.

The Charge of The Light Brigade was a stupid mistake, or series of mistakes, leading to a brigade of cavalry, unsupported by infantry, charging Russian artillery, which was supported by infantry. Add to this that the Cavalry was armed with lances and you have a recipe for disaster. The role of cavalry was changing by then, due to the improvement in infantry firepower, as can be seen by the role of cavalry in the soon tom follow American Civil War. In the ACW cavalry was used to make sweeping raids behind the enemy to disrupt lines of supply, or as fast moving mounted infantry to seize strategic positions, at which point the cavalry would dismount and fight on foot.

Anyway back to the topic. A more appropriate military metaphor might be "BlitzKrieg"

Bit of a tangent but it was the development of artillery which had more of an impact on the "cavalry charge". Horse borne soldiers who dismounted to fight (dragoons) had  been employed by the English army to disrupt supply lines and raid on flanks, going back to the Hobelars at Crecy.

But you're right about the lunacy of the Charge of the Light Brigade - it effectively set the standard for the appalling leadership of WW1 50 odd years later.

In historical context I'd more liken the way Norwich play to the incessant, relentless, ruthlessness of the Mongol hordes under Genghis Khan. Farke looks a bit like him too.......

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Bit of a tangent but it was the development of artillery which had more of an impact on the "cavalry charge". Horse borne soldiers who dismounted to fight (dragoons) had  been employed by the English army to disrupt supply lines and raid on flanks, going back to the Hobelars at Crecy.

But you're right about the lunacy of the Charge of the Light Brigade - it effectively set the standard for the appalling leadership of WW1 50 odd years later.

In historical context I'd more liken the way Norwich play to the incessant, relentless, ruthlessness of the Mongol hordes under Genghis Khan. Farke looks a bit like him too.......

image.png.d7b0ff37d4bc143d584cf898627ae8fd.pngYou sort of have something there sgncfc.

I assumed that it was the opposition being compared to the light brigade, knowing they are riding to their doom but unable to stop or do anything about it....

To be fair, using the title was not meant as an analogy with the battle in the Crimean war......

It was a title borrowed to refer to the attacking ‘charge’ of the team as they pour forward, with the ‘light brigade’ a reference to the size of  Hernandez, Buendia, Lewis, Aarons, Cantwell, Pukki (with the exception of Stiepermann)!

16 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

One of my ancestors was one of the 600.

So was mine. 4th Light Dragoons. Left for dead but nursed back to health at Scutari. He is buried in the old part Norwich cemetery.

So was mine. 4th Light Dragoons. Left for dead but nursed back to health at Scutari. He is buried in the old part Norwich cemetery.

Not sure what happened to mine. My cousin told me about it but hadn't done any further research.

I've got a glass photograph of him in a gilt frame that my aunt handed down to me. I've done a bit of research on Ancestry, Thomas Frederick Arms 1831-85. He was my grandmothers great uncle. There is quite a bit about his story on the gravestone. He survived some dreadful injuries, ridden over by Cossacks can't be fun.

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I've got a glass photograph of him in a gilt frame that my aunt handed down to me. I've done a bit of research on Ancestry, Thomas Frederick Arms 1831-85. He was my grandmothers great uncle. There is quite a bit about his story on the gravestone. He survived some dreadful injuries, ridden over by Cossacks can't be fun.

Descendants of those Cossacks now play for ITFC and Blackburn.

5 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

The Bastards😉

We now average exactly two goals a game. That really makes good reading coupled with great entertainment value. From a quick glance this scoring rate is only exceeded by Man City. Three goals a game seems to be our favourite although might be a bit better at the Den.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Preferable to being run over by Trevor Hockey

Or Tyrone Mings.

Farke footy having ‘Sam Allardyce reaching for the sick-bag’ ­ quite an image conjured up there, almost makes you nostalgic for late September when some should’ve been back at school instead of wanting him in after binning Daniel (not having a pop at anyone, just couldn’t resist the play on the lyrics, after all every picture tells a story!!). Looks like we didn’t dodge a bullet there, more like a cruise missile.