Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

Live crowd prompting...

Just watching the Frosinone v Roma game and, throughout the match, there's a guy on a microphone working the home crowd. I can't decide whether it's annoying or brilliant. I mean, the impact is quite minor because it's such a small club but at Carrow Road I could imagine it being quite a great way of pushing the crowd to sing when needed. Is it even allowed?

• Like 1

I'd go for annoying rather than brilliant.. That drum beating idiot from Sheff Wed a few years ago got on my wick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep but the Wendys bugler who played the last post as the crowd fell silent after one of their guys got treatment on the pitch in our '67 Cup 4th round defeat was quite fun!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Yep but the Wendys bugler who played the last post as the crowd fell silent after one of their guys got treatment on the pitch in our '67 Cup 4th round defeat was quite fun!

🤣 Is that true?

Memory can play tricks with old farts, but pretty sure that was the match. Second half and we were on the way out. Pre-segregation and the crack with the away fans at the River End was good, bugler sounded like was in the Barclay near where the Snakepit now is.

10 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Just watching the Frosinone v Roma game and, throughout the match, there's a guy on a microphone working the home crowd. I can't decide whether it's annoying or brilliant. I mean, the impact is quite minor because it's such a small club but at Carrow Road I could imagine it being quite a great way of pushing the crowd to sing when needed. Is it even allowed?

I've seen and heard this in action in Europe and it's not as annoying as it looks. They stick with the group of ultras, geeing them up and getting chants and songs going. Not sure if it woud work here though, we're still a bit reserved.

On match days, perhaps a fan gospel Choir singing in harmony in the River End......A Steps and S Club Seven tribute fan choir singing in the 'Jarrold'.....A singalonga Max Bygraves/Matt Monro acapella fan quartet singing in the City Stand......and a Heavy Rock ensemble screachin' an' shoutin' in the Barclay and snakepit......?

No drums though......deffo no drums......

• Haha 1

Parma have always done this and it works brilliantly. 

It is self-policing as should there be any tannoy ‘mis-use’ the conferred privilege is withdrawn. 

It would be an excellent addition to the Barclay Project and single-handedly improves crowd noise and engagement 10-fold.

Parma

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

No, just no.

and thrice NO

fans reaction should be spontaneous, not some choreographed Pavlovs dog's type of manifestation of stupidity

'morning campers, hi de hi'

It looked like Buendia was doing his best to rouse the crowd. It is obviously hard to tell on iFollow but it did seem the crowd needed reminding they were watching a hard fought decent match and not a Bolton walkover.

I dislike anything that is choreographed and controlled by anybody.  If people want to sing, then they sing and people can join in or not, it's up to them, but to have someone on the tannoy is a different thing altogether - it is an attempt to artificially get people going. The op said it - "I can't decide whether it's annoying or brilliant" - in other words, some people would like it some people would find it annoying.

There is too much of being choreographed/manipulation of the senses in everything we do these days - just look at all the online facebook etc - everything is geared up to manipulating what you see and hear.  Llife imo is about getting out there and being pro-active in what you do and it is too easy to sit back and let someone manipulate what you do, see or hear.

The 321 thing at CR is still cringeworthy to me - people would sing it anyway at the start of the match.....why is there the need to choreograph it?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herman said:

I've seen and heard this in action in Europe and it's not as annoying as it looks. They stick with the group of ultras, geeing them up and getting chants and songs going. Not sure if it woud work here though, we're still a bit reserved.

I went to a match in Germany last year, one of the best I’ve been to for atmosphere, both teams had a couple of blokes starting the songs. Can someone tell Parma I agree with him please 😉

Everybody thinks they’re independent-minded, yet everybody laments the susceptibility of others to manipulation.

Not everyone can be right.

In this case at Carrow Road there are many, many occasions where people instinctively feel the need to support the team, to make a noise, yet starting a song is a big, risky, self-conscious thing to do. Pretending otherwise is to ignore human tendencies, particularly here in England.

Parma

Structure is fine, but it can either evolve naturally, or it can be forced.   I would prefer things to be allowed to evolve - and the less input from "above", the better.

Edited by lake district canary

26 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

People look forward to corners as they know it’s ‘time’ to sing ‘yellows’.

A bit of structure goes a long way as every religion, governenment, club, unit or family knows. 

Parma

really ?

perhaps you could come up with a suitably chant for throw ins as well

would reduce the time stuck with only the game to watch

and if that is not enough the crowd could sing along to requests

"and this one goes out to Terry in the Lower River End who suffers from bad asthma and is requested by all his mates in row 7... song number 307.  What a friend we have who wheezes, so all join in now...."

• Haha 2

I've seen this in England too, but without the tannoy. I think it was derby v Leicester a few years ago and I was in with the away fans. there was a big fat bloke with no top on who spent most of the match down the front facing the crowd starting songs and chants. Worked well and certainly improved the atmosphere...

5 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

I've seen this in England too, but without the tannoy. I think it was derby v Leicester a few years ago and I was in with the away fans. there was a big fat bloke with no top on who spent most of the match down the front facing the crowd starting songs and chants. Worked well and certainly improved the atmosphere...

In that case Waveney would be the man for the job. 🤪

46 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

From memory, there was a large fella banging a drum at Leicester when we won 3-2 under Lambert. Got the place rocking every time they crossed the halfway line. When they scored, they all did the Poznan, impressive. 

6 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

From memory, there was a large fella banging a drum at Leicester when we won 3-2 under Lambert. Got the place rocking every time they crossed the halfway line. When they scored, they all did the Poznan, impressive. 

and still they lost

the binners have something similar with a young farmhand banging on the bottom of a swill bucket

to little effect either it would seem

1 minute ago, Bill said:

and still they lost

the binners have something similar with a young farmhand banging on the bottom of a swill bucket

to little effect either it would seem

Yes, but that's because they've got no fans 😁

2 hours ago, Bill said:

really ?

perhaps you could come up with a suitably chant for throw ins as well

would reduce the time stuck with only the game to watch

and if that is not enough the crowd could sing along to requests

"and this one goes out to Terry in the Lower River End who suffers from bad asthma and is requested by all his mates in row 7... song number 307.  What a friend we have who wheezes, so all join in now...."

We should have a song for when we are awarded a penalty - something like "Another one bites the dust."? "Sorry seems to be the hardest word"? "Miss you nights."?

this is what we want, if say a player is down injured for a minute or so

though it might not be such a good idea to let him sing about the Young Ones 😉

13 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Structure is fine, but it can either evolve naturally, or it can be forced.   I would prefer things to be allowed to evolve - and the less input from "above", the better.

What about scarves up for otbc, some would say that is forced but it works really well

Does the tannoy say "scarves up"?  I must have missed that, the tannoy isn't great where I was on Saturday. 

As a thing, I don't like being told what to do when going to a football match, I go to be entertained and enjoy spontaneous celebration and atomosphere.  The scarves thing looks great and the rendition of OTBC after the 321 is great too, it's become a bit of a special thing - but do Liverpool supporters have to be told to lift their scarves up for YNWA and do they need to be told at the start of the match to sing it?  I doubt it.  

I'm all for anything that improves the match experience, but am very, very wary of anything that comes from a someone on a microphone.  I iguess I'm old fashioned and I also don't like goal music, but kind of understand why people do like it.  It's a fine balance between adding to the experience and manipulating it too much.

On a side note I disliked it at Bolton  because the tannoy was so loud that you couldn't hear anything before the match, they even put on this loud - I hesitate to call it music - stuff, with added piped crowd noise to make it sound as if the place was alive with noise and chanting. When it stopped as the match started, the silence was deafening! Hilarious.  At least it enabled us to get the singing going and scarves up - oh - and without any 321....

Edited by lake district canary

Ok, so at least we’ve clarified that if it’s announced over the tannoy it’s forced but if not then it isn’t 😉

The 'scarves up' for OTBC seems to have evolved this season as a by product of the flags etc in the Barclay Lower and a bit of social media sharing.  I like that it's become 'a thing' - Leeds had a good scarf twirling song before the start of the game.  Lincoln have an air raid warning horn for when they get a corner - bit extreme!

I don't like the forced stuff during the game, but this year, there's definitely been much more togetherness and support from the crowd when things haven't been going our way.  Sheff U and for spells on Saturday, the crowd did lift and inspire the team - and the best example was from the Stoke defeat, when the team were applauded off after a defeat. 

I love Buendia doing a bit of arm waving as well, he's such a passionate player - his reaction to being subbed is brilliant.