Worth remembering of course that this rookie who just wants to get on with his job outside of the media glare would have had zero chance of getting his first managerial job with a team like Derby if he wasn't Frank Lampard.

Flop might be harsh but he came in with a lot of buzz, got a chance to improve the squad (signed one of the Championships top scorers in Waghorne and the top scorer in League One in Marriot) got pretty much the pick of the Premier League loans and has so far led them to...7th.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Flop might be harsh but he came in with a lot of buzz, got a chance to improve the squad (signed one of the Championships top scorers in Waghorne and the top scorer in League One in Marriot) got pretty much the pick of the Premier League loans and has so far led them to...7th.

Sorry kc, flop is harsh but I was looking for a word beginning with F in keeping with their performance. I agree that he's done no better than his predecessors despite his contacts in the game. 

6 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Sorry kc, flop is harsh but I was looking for a word beginning with F in keeping with their performance. I agree that he's done no better than his predecessors despite his contacts in the game. 

Time will tell, have no problem with FL personally, i did see an interview with him where he was very candid, admitting that managing was a lot harder work than playing....reality dawning on him.

I’d have thought he was appointed with a longer term vision than one season, seventh wouldn’t be awful for a rookie in arguably the toughest pound for pound league in the world. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, king canary said:

got a chance to improve the squad (signed one of the Championships top scorers in Waghorne and the top scorer in League One in Marriot) got pretty much the pick of the Premier League loans and has so far led them to...7th.

So his "chance to improve the squad", backed by a supposedly big transfer budget (see SR's posts), in fact relied on Chelsea and Liverpool having enough professional confidence in him to loan him three of their bright prospects (Wilson, Mount and Tomori)? As for Waghorn and Marriott, two strikers for less than the going rate for one doesn't sound to me like a club or manager splashing money about. And re. your dismissive "has so far led them to .... 7th", let's list some of the other managers in this division and ask where their teams are shall we? Monk, Rowett, Smith, Mowbray, Atkins, McClaren, Neil ...... all of them vastly more experienced than Lampard and some of them backed by far more money. 

The truth of the matter is that the OP was not a serious appraisal of a rival club's manager, and the reasonable expectations of him this season, but a cheap shot at Lampard based on nothing more than his celebrity and media darling status.

4 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

So his "chance to improve the squad", backed by a supposedly big transfer budget (see SR's posts), in fact relied on Chelsea and Liverpool having enough professional confidence in him to loan him three of their bright prospects (Wilson, Mount and Tomori)? As for Waghorn and Marriott, two strikers for less than the going rate for one doesn't sound to me like a club or manager splashing money about. And re. your dismissive "has so far led them to .... 7th", let's list some of the other managers in this division and ask where their teams are shall we? Monk, Rowett, Smith, Mowbray, Atkins, McClaren, Neil ...... all of them vastly more experienced than Lampard and some of them backed by far more money. 

The truth of the matter is that the OP was not a serious appraisal of a rival club's manager, and the reasonable expectations of him this season, but a cheap shot at Lampard based on nothing more than his celebrity and media darling status.

Second time you've used the phrase 'cheap shot ' like I said, if you think they're doing okay,  ask the Derby fans. They're expecting considerably more. 

15 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Second time you've used the phrase 'cheap shot ' like I said, if you think they're doing okay,  ask the Derby fans. They're expecting considerably more. 

Why on earth would I ask "the Derby fans" SR? If you'd entitled your OP "Lampard seen as flop by (some) Derby fans", this thread would never have got off the ground. 

On 21/02/2019 at 21:24, wcorkcanary said:

As surely as whether or not the Pope does indeed defecate in the woods.

Does this mean it is "the bears turn to wear a silly hat"

😁

6 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

Your desire to defend Frank Lampard's honour is...interesting but each to their own.

Tbh I've never really liked him (good player but always seemed like a ****) so I'm not upset at seeing him fall short of the media hype.

As has been mentioned, who would have thought the changes in fortunes, for Millwall and the Binners, along with us, Sheff Utd, Leeds and Bristol, would be so great from less than a year ago? 

I would think that Derby were very much of the mindset, that they would improve on last years's 6th position and make a serious push for top 2, so, their lack of consideration, to challenge the automatic places, by many at this stage (inc Farke it would seem), would be disappointing to say the least.  but it's a funny old game Saint.

Yesterday I was talking with a guy who is mates with Chris Jones at Derby (one of FL's right hand men) who when he was asked about Derby's chances, he(Jones) said they haven't got a big enough squad. FLD looked, early season, that they would certainly be right at the top, but have 'fallen away'. Now is this down to lack of investment, or FL's lack of managerial nous, or another factor? Whichever it is, it is good news for us.

17 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

As has been mentioned, who would have thought the changes in fortunes, for Millwall and the Binners, along with us, Sheff Utd, Leeds and Bristol, would be so great from less than a year ago? 

Outside of us I'd say my biggest surprises have been the continued excellence of Sheffield United (Wilder deserves a lot of credit despite being a ****) and the struggles of Stoke.

18 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Yesterday I was talking with a guy who is mates with Chris Jones at Derby (one of FL's right hand men) who when he was asked about Derby's chances, he(Jones) said they haven't got a big enough squad. FLD looked, early season, that they would certainly be right at the top, but have 'fallen away'.

Sounds like someone has been taking lessons from Uncle 'Arry- when it doesn't go your way say you've not been backed! 

Just look at the list of players Derby have been able to loan out- George Thorne, Chris Martin, Jacob Butterfield, Alex Pearce- all experienced Championship players. 

Not quite kc. My mate has Chelsea connections (and no Championship leanings) he was just asking his mate (Jones), without any hidden agenda. That conversation took place a little while ago.

On 21/02/2019 at 10:12, BobLoz3 said:

OGS at Man U...

The old, 'club legend bounce' has often been attempted and gone horribly wrong. But OGS has done a good job. I don't think Frank would do the same.

When we've tried it (Adams, Gunn etc.) more often than not it's been to try and arrest a slide into the pits of doom. With these two (Man U and Chelsea) they're not in danger of getting relegated, more that they simply need to get the fans back on side.

Gunn was hopeless, but Adams had an awful lot of fans that turned their nose up at him at the start. You can't get anywhere if a large chunk of fans insist on jeering instead of cheering. 

2 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Gunn was hopeless, but Adams had an awful lot of fans that turned their nose up at him at the start. You can't get anywhere if a large chunk of fans insist on jeering instead of cheering. 

I think the fans were unstandably baffled by the club 'scouring Europe' only to appoint the bloke who'd not won a game in his spell a caretaker. 

However I was on the terraces at Brentford that season and the fans were certainly behind him then.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think the fans were unstandably baffled by the club 'scouring Europe' only to appoint the bloke who'd not won a game in his spell a caretaker. 

However I was on the terraces at Brentford that season and the fans were certainly behind him then.

Not won a game against four top level premier league sides having been dropped in it at the last moment as caretaker. 

12 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Not won a game against four top level premier league sides having been dropped in it at the last moment as caretaker. 

And also relegated Fulham.

Yes it was tough run in but it is hard to argue the decision was anything other than nonsense.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Adams had an awful lot of fans that turned their nose up at him at the start

And Mr Bassong if rumours are to be believed...

The nonsense was that the decision should have been taken months earlier...

• Like 1