Just watched Ben Bloom's report from Derby v Millwall, apparently Derby were awful, is this the time when the pressure is starting to tell and Derby start their annual collapse? Couldn't cope with the pressure from Bristol City, will someone else take up the chase instead?

I’d say “flop” is unjustified in the case of a rookie manager whose team is still likely to finish 7th even if pipped for the playoffs. I still fancy them to finish above Bristol City. Nor is Lampard to blame for the ridiculous media love-in; he almost certainly would prefer not to be in the resulting spotlight all the time. He comes over as a thoroughly decent, remarkably modest guy finding his feet in a highly competitive league which pits him against rivals boasting far greater managerial experience. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

I’d say “flop” is unjustified in the case of a rookie manager whose team is still likely to finish 7th even if pipped for the playoffs. I still fancy them to finish above Bristol City. Nor is Lampard to blame for the ridiculous media love-in; he almost certainly would prefer not to be in the resulting spotlight all the time. He comes over as a thoroughly decent, remarkably modest guy finding his feet in a highly competitive league which pits him against rivals boasting far greater managerial experience. 

Are we talking about the same person? He's lived his whole career in the full glare of the media. Meanwhile Derby have spent a small fortune (again) trying to buy their way up. 7th is nowhere near good enough. As for Managers with more experience, they were beaten by  Millwall, Millwall!

There are only six places between Norwich and Derby, yet a huge chasm in footballing ability.

Their first shot on target, last night, came in the 92nd minute!

For a team on the verge of getting into the playoffs- that is shocking!

Derby are 12 points behind us and effectively out of the picture regarding automatics.

We will know after Saturday whether the automatic places can be permed any three from four .... Norwich, Sheff.U. Leeds and WBA with City having the slight advantage atm.

Brizzle are a massive ten points behind us and, despite their current form and games in hand, if we beat them on Saturday it will surely mean they will have to aspire to play-offs at best.

Even a draw wouldn't suit them really as they are playing catch up.

The situation at the basement is similar with any three from four facing the drop. Our beloveds will have to hope that neither of Reading (Olly,Olly,Olly) nor Rotherham have a bit of a run as they are a massive nine points behind both those teams. 

I would add Middlesborough to the mix. They have only lost 6 all season. Leeds and Norwich are best bet for top two but a hell of a lot could change in the next few weeks. Buckle up as it is going to be emotionally demanding!! 

27 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I would add Middlesborough to the mix. They have only lost 6 all season. Leeds and Norwich are best bet for top two but a hell of a lot could change in the next few weeks. Buckle up as it is going to be emotionally demanding!! 

Boro? May be.

We have only lost six as well, but they have less wins with a lot of drawn games.

Nine points adrift of us with a game in hand.

As with Brizzle we must avoid equating games in hand with an automatic three points.

Points on the board is all that matters.

Lampard , despite his lack of managerial experience has been considered (along with Zidane) for the Chelsea job. What other example, in the football world, has such an inexperienced manager been linked with a Top 6 job?

Middlesboro? Well they don't concede many at all but they need an extra dimension to really effect the top 2, as they don't score enough to influence those positions

31 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Lampard , despite his lack of managerial experience has been considered (along with Zidane) for the Chelsea job. What other example, in the football world, has such an inexperienced manager been linked with a Top 6 job?

Middlesboro? Well they don't concede many at all but they need an extra dimension to really effect the top 2, as they don't score enough to influence those positions

OGS at Man U...

The old, 'club legend bounce' has often been attempted and gone horribly wrong. But OGS has done a good job. I don't think Frank would do the same.

When we've tried it (Adams, Gunn etc.) more often than not it's been to try and arrest a slide into the pits of doom. With these two (Man U and Chelsea) they're not in danger of getting relegated, more that they simply need to get the fans back on side.

45 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

OGS at Man U...

The old, 'club legend bounce' has often been attempted and gone horribly wrong. But OGS has done a good job. I don't think Frank would do the same.

When we've tried it (Adams, Gunn etc.) more often than not it's been to try and arrest a slide into the pits of doom. With these two (Man U and Chelsea) they're not in danger of getting relegated, more that they simply need to get the fans back on side.

It worked pretty well with Dave Stringer! 

And Brown and Walker.

There was always going to be media coverage of Frank Lampard's DC. And the players at his disposal would have most thinking they should be top two. But the reality is it doesn't always work having 11 individuals no matter how good they are.

10 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I wouldn't consider 8 years in management as inexperienced though

Yep... Sorry, I didn't actually realise how many jobs he'd had prior to this one!

Can see what will happen at Man U. OGS will get the job full time and then next season it will all go pear shaped and they'll be back to square one.

6 hours ago, splendidrush said:

Are we talking about the same person? He's lived his whole career in the full glare of the media. Meanwhile Derby have spent a small fortune (again) trying to buy their way up. 7th is nowhere near good enough. As for Managers with more experience, they were beaten by  Millwall, Millwall!

Derby haven't spent a small fortune. This season, like last, they have made a profit on player trading. Such a lazy argument based on them spending money in 2015/16. 

This season Derby sold Vydra for 11m + and Weimann for 2m.

Last season they sold Ince for 8m, Will Hughes for 8m and Cyrus Christie for another 2. Season before that they sold Jeff Hendrick for around 12m. 

Over the last 3 seasons they have a player trading profit of almost 10m. I would say they are selling to buy if anything. 

Edited by Grant Holts Moustache
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Which is it Crabby? Considered for the job? Or "linked with a top six job"? I know you can read the papers, and maybe heard his name chanted by the Stamford Bridge crowd; but I didn't know you had a direct line to Roman Abramovich ............. 😉

If Derby finished 7th it has been a failure. The last manager finished 6th and got binned, Lampard then spent a fair chunk of money and has taken them slightly backwards.

9 hours ago, splendidrush said:

First sentence: Yes.
Second sentence: So what? Does that mean he courts and wallows in it, or welcomes being permanently in the spotlight in this stage of his managerial career?
Third sentence: See GHM's post above.
Fourth sentence: Who says? Did FL promise his chairman something better?
Fifth sentence: 26 August 2017, Millwall 4:0 Norwich. DF had a lot more managerial experience then than FL does now.

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

If Derby finished 7th it has been a failure. The last manager finished 6th and got binned, Lampard then spent a fair chunk of money and has taken them slightly backwards.

How much is "a fair chunk of money"? Do you really mean "a huge amount of money? If so, he didn't and hasn't. Three of his first team summer signings were Premier League youngsters on loan -- Wilson, Mount and Tomori. The most expensive permanent signing was Waghorn for a rumoured 5M. And there's still a quarter of the season to go.

The OP was simply a cheap snipe at FL; nothing more than sour grapes against an inexperienced guy learning on the job in challenging circumstances, fuelled by FL's unsought media-darling profile.

But KC it isn't fair, who could have foreseen that Sheff Utd and Bristol, and especially Leeds and Norwich for heaven's sake, could be in the top six, let alone leading the table, when setting the goal for Derby do better than sixth this year?  

673908170_EndofSeason2017-18.thumb.jpg.4c1247455c4d101a2bc200ce5058f2af.jpg

Don't they have a rather large Loan contingent at FLDC? . I've always found it a bit difficult to believe in the commitment of most loan players, unless there is a loan with a view to buy agreement. Sure, a loan may do the player a bit of good and the Club he is loaned to may also get a bit of use of him. The main beneficiary is the parent Club, who at little or no expense, get to see what their player can do, without risking him in their own team.

I can see FL doing quite well in management compared to other 'big name ex players'

He is under an enormous spot light there and it will not go away. Good luck to him (next season of course)

3 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

First sentence: Yes.
Second sentence: So what? Does that mean he courts and wallows in it, or welcomes being permanently in the spotlight in this stage of his managerial career?
Third sentence: See GHM's post above.
Fourth sentence: Who says? Did FL promise his chairman something better?
Fifth sentence: 26 August 2017, Millwall 4:0 Norwich. DF had a lot more managerial experience then than FL does now.

How much is "a fair chunk of money"? Do you really mean "a huge amount of money? If so, he didn't and hasn't. Three of his first team summer signings were Premier League youngsters on loan -- Wilson, Mount and Tomori. The most expensive permanent signing was Waghorn for a rumoured 5M. And there's still a quarter of the season to go.

The OP was simply a cheap snipe at FL; nothing more than sour grapes against an inexperienced guy learning on the job in challenging circumstances, fuelled by FL's unsought media-darling profile.

You came out with all guns blazing there westcoast, I'll respond but won't get drawn into one of your extended 'discussions ' as I don't really have the time. You claim Frank 'almost certainly prefer not to be in the spotlight ' really? Granted, he's not David Beckham but he's no shrinking violet. His career, relationship with his uncle, wife, ex wife and children have all been subject to scrutiny for years, and that's without the football. I don't remember him ever coming out demanding privacy and if he prefers to avoid the media, why continue to court them. GHM claims that Derby haven't spent much, then goes into great detail to show that in the last 3 seasons they've sold 43 million worth of players, while showing a £10 million profit. Maths was never my strong point but I'm seeing 33 million which has been spent somewhere. I maintain 7th is nowhere near good enough. If you want to challenge that, ask the Derby fans. As for our 4-0 loss to Millwall (thanks for using our low point as an example) the big difference is that we were at the start of a huge transition. New Manager in a new Country with new players. Frank Lampard's Derby as its become known are 2/3 of the way through the season at home to a Team just above the relegation zone and to quote  Ben Bloom 'had nothing' As for 'cheap snipe' and 'sour grapes ' it's nothing more than a difference of opinion, I thought you were better than that.