Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Bolton winding up order

The Beeb web-site that HMRC have a case against Bolton being heard in the Court on 20 March - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47306565

If the worst comes to the worst and they have to be wound up, I assume all their results to that date will be expunged from the records.  Out of the top 4 who would be most affected by the loss of those results?  At the moment it would be us - two wins and 7-2 in our favour for goal difference.  The Blades won two and 5-0 in their favour so we are marginally ahead on goals scored.  Leeds only managed a 1-0 win earlier in the season but do play them again on Saturday,  and West Brom actually lost to them 2-1 before beating them 2-0 in the return.  So all of our efforts last Saturday may have been in vain?

Paranoia, but it would be crap to lose out on promotion because another club went to the wall...

I think Bolton will be fine (pardon the pun). This stuff happens all the time with football clubs. The FA will step in worst case scenario until a new owner can be found. It may create problems for them with transfer embargo's etc going forward. If they go down this season (which clearly will happen), then it may be an opportunity for them to start again.

Essentially HMRC tend to do this because of the "football creditors" rule, so they raise the winding up petition to force the club to pay them before they actually risk going into administration. 

In the last year Bolton have had a couple, villa have had at least one, Oxford have had one, the binners had one, I think  Brum had at least one and Blackpool have had a few, Southend had one a couple of weeks ago and all of those clubs are still going. They're not exactly examples of how a football club should be run I grant you, but, it's not as serious as it sounds for the long term existence of a professional club.

If any points were to be awarded / deducted , the fairer way would be to award 3 points to each of their opponents remaining this season. You can’t change completed results, especially with 2/3 of the season already completed. And no, I don’t think Bolton would not be able to play the remaining games anyway, so this is moot.

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

If any points were to be awarded / deducted , the fairer way would be to award 3 points to each of their opponents remaining this season. You can’t change completed results, especially with 2/3 of the season already completed. And no, I don’t think Bolton would not be able to play the remaining games anyway, so this is moot.

I can see the merits of giving out 3 points, but what what about goals scored? Those 4 we scored could be invaluable.

As much as we all like to win when we play, I'm sure we don't want to see any Team wound up. Every Club contributes to their local area and watching that young lady at Bolton is evidence that it matters. It may be that they have to drop a couple of Divisions before they can recover, I wish them well. 

• Like 3

Surely they’ll go into administration first. Given that a championship football club is going to continue generating decent revenue from ticket sales and tv revenue for finishing position (and presumably the players are still worth a bit), I’m sure everyone would prefer administration to liquidation. I think worst case scenario is administration and a points deduction for the time being - they could still finish above Ipswich even with a 10 point deduction!

4 minutes ago, Aggy said:

Surely they’ll go into administration first. Given that a championship football club is going to continue generating decent revenue from ticket sales and tv revenue for finishing position (and presumably the players are still worth a bit), I’m sure everyone would prefer administration to liquidation. I think worst case scenario is administration and a points deduction for the time being - they could still finish above Ipswich even with a 10 point deduction!

Don't bring 1p5wich into it.... I might have to adjust my previous post 😉