18 hours ago, king canary said:

This is the attitude that baffles me.

You broke the law, you knew you were breaking the law and you were not even close to the limit yet somehow the policy are 'sneaky' for catching you do it.

Well they are a little sneaky. Especially on motorways like the M180, a road that is virtually empty all of the time, and has a very good safety record. There's certainly an argument against the need for 'safety' speed cameras here, when there are much more dangerous roads like the A15 which has one measly stationary camera. The traffic on this road rarely gets above 50 due to the large volume of traffic and more specifically lorries. But for the handful of people that find the opportunity to do so, they really are taking a big risk and without doubt committing dangerous driving. 

But they know they'll catch people on the M180 with ease, and not so on the A15. The mobile van last Saturday was also positioned in a new location, I wonder what justified this move? No recent accidents and certainly not a black spot. Seems a bit sneaky to me. 

Anyway, Its an argument that as been done before, and will be done again. 

Bottom line, Yes I broke the law, and therefore I must be punished accordingly. 

For me the two biggest gripes when driving are tailgaters and people who sit in the middle lane.

Tailgating is the most dangerous type of driving. I’m sure we’ve all been there with some sitting right on our ****, it means that we probably spend more time focusing on that person. No need to be that aggressive no matter the speed someone is driving at.

Middle lane hoggers are equally as bad and dangerous. They block up roads and often force slower drivers in to the fast lane, meaning more people tailgate (not that that is the right thing to do). They make people undertake as well, which is Avery dangerous manoeuvre. We really need to let learners on to motorways. If we did I think we would have much fewer people doing this.

Edited by Willmeister

Decent keeper but dumbass driver and manager. Absolutely no sympathy whatsoever. Speed limits are there for a reason, no excuses. 

On 21/02/2019 at 16:54, lake district canary said:

So I have to watch the needle get up to 70, or should I be watching the traffic and the road situation?  In other words my awareness should be on the speedometer, not the lorry coming up in front of me which I was going to overtake?  But then my awareness was on my speed because I knew I was going aound 60mph, well within the limit.

Of course you know you are speeding up because you are doing so to overtake a vehicle - get past the vehicle safely and as efficiently as you can.  Speed in those situations is not the issue.  I was performing a manouvre in the way I knew how - totally under control and as safely as I possibly could.  By the letter of the law I was caught going over 70, but no-one will ever convince me that I did anything wrong in that manouvre, all I did was to overtake safely and efficiently and return to the inside lane and return to my previous speed. If I was driving along at 80 mph along the dual carriageway and got caught so be it, but I wasn't, I was travelling in the 60's and overtook a vehicle going slower than me and returning to that speed. 

Of course the issue is now one of caution - it makes me think twice about overtaking anything, regardless of whether it is safe to do so or not.........is that a better way to drive.....to have people who are afraid to overtake anything, just in case they are are caught out by a wretched camera that can't distinguish between those driving too fast and those just making a safe manouvre? And if anyone says again that what I did was "out of control", then they are wrong - speed is not always the issue.  Sometimes it is, but not always.  

I think you said at the beginning this was on a dual carriageway. So why would you even need to speed up to overtake as you could have proceeded at your current speed and would have overtaken the slower vehicle?

• Like 1

I once attended some advanced driving lessons and one of the things drilled into me was if you are going to overtake, overtake positvely, not just drift out into another lane of traffic - you see that kind of overtaking all the time on motorways and dual carriageways - it's poor driving skills to not accelerate when overtaking.

17 hours ago, Il Pirata said:

The mobile van last Saturday was also positioned in a new location, I wonder what justified this move? No recent accidents and certainly not a black spot. Seems a bit sneaky to me. 

You've answered your own question though- it is justified because people like yourself have worked out where they usually are so only actually obey the limit there. 

It is a bit like a burglar trying to rob a house for the second time and then saying it is sneaky the owners have installed security cameras in the meantime...

• Like 1

It's the apparent inconsistency I don't understand. A friend of mine was caught last week doing 34 in a 30 across the wide open space of Old Buckenham Common yet he lives on a built-up road near a school where the limit is 20 but where dozens of vehicles speed every day doing up to 50 or even 60. However, not once in over 20 years of living on that road has he seen a speed camera/gun. Doesn't seem totally logical to me.