Sign in to follow this  
beelsie

Inspire the team!!!!

What the hell is that all about?? I cannot believe that men who

aspire to be footballers, who are recognised in the media as being the

envy of most championship teams.  Need inspiring! motivating!

firing up!

I suppose the inspiration mongers on these boards; think that that

the carpenters, bricklayers, Need a manager to inspire them to put a

roof truss up or build a wall.  No!! of course not! foot-balls

different! You lot, say. Really! is it? the mind boggles when we have

so called football players, who, unlike the tradesmen i''ve just

mentioned have no pride in the job they have, sadly miss-named a

profession.  If they were in any other sport where they had to

face an opponent on equal terms across whatever venue. would you back

the man in Norwich city colours to scrap for a win when the going gets

tough.  Of course you would''nt.  And if they were wearing

overalls on a building site I know whose houses would remain at footing

level, Yes!! OUR PRESENT NORWICH CITY TEAM, A BUNCH OF UNDER PERFORMERS

who have no pride or passion for the job they cannot perform at. Of

course, they would blame the manager who does not have a big stick, and

cannot fire them, and cannot withhold their wages or their bonus

payments.  Look for the positives, you say!!! What positives?

After all these are the players who are recognised by all the

pundits as the pick of the bunch in the Championship.  It''s so

good for their shop window, having such a high tallent level when

they do''nt use it.  I say we have a lazy background staff, with

lazy players, who have an attitude problem, who are also taking the

P*** out of loyal fans.  After all they did''nt have to come here

with high acclaim and glossy credentials and then fail miserably to

perform at a decent level, then tell us that it is not good enough, yet

never try to do anything about it.  Their ability to make the

right noises in media interviews count for nothing, when they give us

all the two fingers when on the pitch.  We have a high standard of

fitness at this club is constantly in print in the media, I, and others

on these boards have said that strength and fitness is missing more

than any other aspect in our game.  They can''t sustain a level of

pressure for any period of time in a game.  They want to blame

Worthy for their failings.  If they were boxers would they be

doing the same by blaming the manager.  I would''nt want to be in

the trenches with any of them if I was their leader, the bullet in the

back would be expected, if they had the spine.

Beelsie, speaking myself as a humble tradesperson (decorator) I need no more inspiration to do a good job than firstly the pride I take in my work and secondly the money involved!  I know, if I mess up there are hundreds of other equally capable people out there who will take my customers, so if I don''t work to my full capabilities I have no work.

The same, sadly cannot be said for our players, or indeed it seems, management team.  They seem to be able to get away with any kind of performance and nothing happens.  Most of our players know there is little competition for places, what there is it seems to be either loanees, or others who temporarily fill a gap due to injuries. Meanwhile Nigel and his crew seem to be untouchable and unsackable.

If these players and coaches were in the real world of work they would have been given their cards long ago. 

I don''t know anything about their contracts other than they can''t be missing their win bonuses too much!! It is getting beyond a joke - and pretty soon the board  will see that we can only support for so long before frustration and pain take over and we start making our feelings shown other than on messageboards, Radio Norfolk and the newspaper.

Beelsie - an excellent piece - I have always wondered on this motivation lark.  I know for sure if I was earning 10000.00 a week and the envy of 25000 supporters who would love to be in my shoes then I would not need much motivation.  Most of us have to scrimp and save to pay the mortgage poll tax and all the other monthly headaches on a yearly wage that does not even compare to a monthly wage that these players get.  To see them go onto the pitch and produce some of the dross that we have seen this season and then say that they do not know why they are not performing just makes me see red.  How they are still getting the high crowds absolutely astounds me.  If I went to a restaraunt and had a bad meal I may then give them a second chance but if the second meal was poor then I would not go again.  And yet, supporters turn up week after week to throw good money down the drain watching what is no more than a Sunday afternoon park outfit.  My five games on the membership scheme have now passed and due to working shifts cannot make many games anyway but maybe that is what is needed - supporters to save their money and stay away - maybe that would at least show these players that if they can''t play for us then why should we pay their wages.    

Not often I disagree with Gazza but there is a first time for everything!

The self employed and individual roles mentioned here rely entirely upon self motivation which comes from the need to get some cash on the table and that drives you to work.  Personal pride drives you to deliver the best service you can.

However in a team situation when employed by someone else the dynamic is far more complicated.   The wage will come in irrespective of performance for a period of time (length of the contract for footballers - they simply are never sacked for under performance - look at winston bogarde for example - we may not like it but that the situation)     Personal pride/desire levels are different in each person - look at bogarde again compared to say Roy Keane - their personal drives are enirely at opposite ends of the spectrum and it is a feature of the worlds very best players to have an exceptionally high level of personal drive.   Most people and so most footballers levels are no where near these levels of extreme - all will have a desire to do the best a good manager will provide team members with an inspiration to deliver more consistently.  

In any team it is the coach and management staffs job to ensure that the skills of the team are used to the best of their abilities (worthy - nope), that the individuals have clarity of what their role in a team is (nope), that they understand why they have to do the role assigned to them(?), that they have the skills to do the role they have been asked to do (nope), the confidence to do the job to the required level (nope) and the will to want to do the job for your manager because you share their values, beliefs and goals (nope).

All people have a desire to achieve the best they can,  what inspirational leaders provide is a mechanism to support the team to achieve more than the best they can.   The best managers are inspirational to their teams as a group but just as importantly to each individual, Churchill, Branson, Ferguson, Clough, Paisley acheived far more by giving their teams guidance and confidence by inspiring a group to acheive more as collective than any could individually and without that guidance and inspiration.

Inspiration is part of any managers role; anyone doing the same job years on end needs fresh impetus every now and again - and that is why this club needs a new leader.

OTBC  

So you say that this team is unfit - lacking fitness and strength... what evidence do you present to back up this! NCFC have outsocred opponents 4-1 in last 15 minutes of matches. I suppose your response here will be tactics - going for it!

So again, as with one of your previous posts, I ask you to define those players who lack what qualities. Yes we are not a tall squad, but players are all conditioned for their position.

Also when you look at past comments by players at the club, it has taken them a good deal of time to acclimatise to the levels expected. Currently we have 5 layers in the team who are new this season. 2 in the last 2 weeks. Safri just back from injury - thorne just back, and due to injury/illness/selection, player who have spent little time on the field buiding up match fitness.

Reserve games are a form of playing but hardly at the same intensity, so have limited use in preparing players for 1st team intensity. So Brennan, McVeigh, etc have little time to acclimatise.

Unfit is unlikely - lacking application a possibility!

i have been reading Stanley Matthews (imo, the greatest english footballer of all time) Autobiography.

it tells of a time when Footballers were still playing for the love of the game, the passion and the camraderie (sp?)

in those days Footballers werent the overpaid whingers they are today, they lived in simple digs. (in Matthews case a council house until he set up a hotel in blackpool).

They understood money, they didnt go out drinking, sleeping around, getting arrested, etc..

they didnt need motivation, they worked hard to play for the fans every week.

Matthews tells the story of England going to Germany in 1938, by this time Hitler was weaving his web and the German crowd were hostile. the English players were told that, for their own safety, they had to make a nazi Salute to the furher.

Anyway, during the game, the Germans were in the ascendancy and England were struglling. Matthews trotted behind the goal to collect the ball for a croner and heard 2 voices hout "come on England" and "come on stan, give em hell mate!" he glanced back over his shoulder to see 2 English men, perhaps the only 2 in the stadium, holding the Cross of st George defiantly, a look of hope in their eyes.

Matthews trotted accross to tell the rest of the players.... England rallied and scored 6.

Passion, Commitment, Pride, Motvation, Guts, Solidarity. Thats what football doesnt have today, and thast what Norwich city dont have.

Inspiration, just 2 English fans supporting their country... now why cant City play with that sort of inspiration for 26000 fans?

there were no sports psychologists in those days. f u couldnt motivate urself then u didnt play football.

oh for those days again it seems.. perhaps then we might acheive something.

jas :)

Thanks for the replies folks, I could''nt get back to you, to reply,  I was unfortunately detained at Addenbrookes hospital for some urgent treatment.  However I''m back now and will hopefully enjoy some time on here defending and verbally beating up the spineless in our team.  ZLF you do make some good points when going into the theory behind motivation in groups of the indirectly employed.  I can only say with tongue in cheek that how glad some of those who were criticised will be to read your remarks with a smile, and say to themselves: Yeah!!! thats why I do''nt perform,could''nt possibly be my fault, could''nt possibly down to me.  I, in my business days never had such a luxury, If my customers were disatisfied with any of the jobs that my team and I turned out, I would have to see that their needs were sated and complaints rectified to their entire satisfaction.  Or loose their custom.

Rocky I won''t bother to go into detail but I have watched and played all forms of sports in nearly 80 years, and I have just learnt through experience to pick out genuine triers and performers, I have also played at a demanding level where laziness and hiding would not be tollerated if you get my drift.  Some of our players do not want to compete at the level of effort required, and there has to be a logical reason. 

Glad to have you back beelsie - hopefully you are well on the way to a full recovery.

I was not looking to give players excuses for their poor performances - I am sure they all want to give their best; what Nige is failing to do is make them a cohesive unit which is what make teams shine rather than flounder, and that is his sole role in this.

OTBC    

I often go to watch my local non leauge team in the NPL first division and I am always amazed at the level of dedication,commitment and hard work these lads on virtually no money put in week after week.Often they play two matches a week with at least one away from home,do a day job,train and run their lives without the help of a nanny,private school and domestic help that our pampered stars take for granted.So how can the likes of Mr Huckerby et.al claim that that the  life of  a pro footballer is just so demanding that they never feel fully fit when they step onto the turf in front of their 25000 adouring fans.Perhaps our star players should get up at 6am for 5 days and labour on a building site, for crap wages, then they might realise just how fortunate they are. 

I`d swap give our mollycoddled priema donnas 30 minutes 3 stories up on a roof in North Norfolk with a north easterly wind blowing they would be begging to get back to there 10 grand a week flash sport cars big houses. Maybe then they mite see what the average fan has to do to pay to see the cr@p we have had to put up with season and maybe just maybe they mite see how privileged they are and could even start to take a pride in there performance and start performing to the ability we know some of them have got.How much motavation does it take ???to do the job to best of our abillitys.

Perhaps someone at Carrow Road might like to take this collection of musings to the dressing room and read them out.

Beelsie, I always enjoy reading your posts - they''re to the point, always incisive and they don''t go down the road of pettiness and namecalling.   You tell it as you see it.

Rooferman - perhaps that''s what they should get the players doing in their work with the community - it''s all very well "connecting" with the fans by turning up at the Canary store every now and then and doing the hospital photocalls - perhaps it''s time that they connected with the man in the street (or on the roof in your case)?

Unfortunately the days of Matthews and his sort are gone - it''s all materialism now with little or no loyalty to anyone other than their bank accounts.   That''s why the long serving players and the home grown players are the ones who make the biggest impact with the crowds - the likes of Francis epitomise all that is wrong with City today...he was allowed to play and took the dressing room down with him...

ZLF Thanks again for your responses, I''m feeling good.  I hope I did''nt directly imply that you were looking for excuses for the players, I merely implied that from a players perspective, if having read your analysis, they would be pleased that you were more harsh on the management than on the production worker IE, the player. Therefore once again he achieves a media release from an all to loosely written contractual obligation.

It is in my mind that the pshyche of the "modern young man, having been fed on the no blame, do what you feel capable of and enjoy yourself at any of your choices of persuit, what ever are the consequences. I say with all due seriousness, they are fed on this type of unplanned uncontrolled approach from creche to school and are not used to dealing in a structured apprentice envoirenment.  In my young times we were shown what was a good product and shown how to climb the scale of accomplishment to perfection if we had it in us. 

There was always the provisor that if we could see a better way of doing the same thing better or quicker, the encouragement was always there.  I can see in the lack of discipline in our teams approach play that there is a lack of either coaching or indeed willingness to take on board the need for cohesion and movement in the whole team, they do not move en-bloc, IE they have no shape, period and neither do they look as if they are in a mind to do so.  Not rocket science me thinks.

When N Worthington was a player that approach was the norm and with all the players coming from mostly disciplined backgrounds, coaching was easy, army type training was much more acceptable to the the young men of that ERA.  Thanks again for your interesting thoughts on this intriguing subject all of you.