Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Leeds Fined £200K For Spygate !

Its ok as they will make it back when we cherry pick their best talent for our PL campaign next season. It would be rude to break traditions 👍🏻

11 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not a lot in football terms, but shows they clearly did wrong.

Point well made, if they're promoted it's 200k well spent, the bigger issue is that the authorities have now set a precedent, it might cause them to firm up the rules so everyone is clear about what is acceptable going forward. 

The important point was to establish whether this was allowable and if not to  come up with a specific rule spelling that out, and that has been done.

PS. It seems it is a proposal - no viewing of opponents' training within 72 hours of a match - to be debated by clubs, but likely to become a rule.

Edited by PurpleCanary

£200k is peanuts. But it's the principle and the ethics that are important. Leeds say they now want to focus on the football. 2 or 3 challenging fixtures are coming up soon like the fixtures we faced last month. But their next 2 games should see them collect 6 points.

Edited by sonyc

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not at all. All it shows is that it offended against a peculiarly British sense of fair play. Tut, tut, we don't want that sort of behaviour here (sniff). One of the most comical spin offs was Martin Keown pontificating about "the ethics of the game". 

6 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Not at all. All it shows is that it offended against a peculiarly British sense of fair play. Tut, tut, we don't want that sort of behaviour here (sniff). One of the most comical spin offs was Martin Keown pontificating about "the ethics of the game". 

Blimey, give it a rest. You think a club being fined is not an indication they've done wrong?

Bringing in a rule to stop it happening again, but as Leeds technically broke no rules I guess it's hard to punish them severely

34 minutes ago, Ian said:

Blimey, give it a rest. You think a club being fined is not an indication they've done wrong?

It's on a par with the committee of an Old Boys club reprimanding a member for contravening "the spirit" of the dress code. "The blaggard actually turned up in ....... (I can barely bring myself to say it) ..... jeans" (sniff).

Glad to see some action was taken, the "spirit of the rules" is an important concept; albeit better if properly codified into a law.

Sophie Levin @sophielevin11
FollowFollow @sophielevin11
Polite reminder that the EFL and FA haven't fined a club a penny for racist chants, throwing bananas, sexual harassment, diving, time-wasting or paying off agents. Leeds will pay £200k for an intern with a pair of binoculars because it's "not what we do in this country".
11:59 AM - 18 Feb 2019

She gets it.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

Glad to see some action was taken, the "spirit of the rules" is an important concept; albeit better if properly codified into a law.

As Stuart Webber put it:

Webber said the argument - put forward by Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa himself - that such actions are acceptable in other footballing cultures did not hold water.

“What I also don’t get is when people say, ‘culturally they wouldn’t know that’s not right’,” Webber said. “In certain cultures it’s alright to have two or three wives, but the minute you step in this country you know that’s not right.

“Surely the Leeds staff is not just full of Argentinians and there are people who’ve worked in this country - the Sporting Director (Victor Orta) was at Middlesbrough - who can say, ‘you can’t do that here mate’.

“Leeds is one of the greatest clubs in our country. People who run that club know what’s right and what’s wrong. We’ve not heard from them, which again has probably surprised us.

“There is a way a football club should behave and to come out and be so blasé about that in an interview, live on Sky, if we did that I’d probably pick up the phone to the clubs the next day and say sorry about that we’re going to fully co-operate.

“Hopefully at the end of it Leeds will show a bit of class as a club and go ‘you know what, we got that wrong and to the other 23 clubs who have been affected we apologise that you got dragged into it’.

So your argument is that because the FA may not have punished unrelated cases adequately in the past, they're wrong to do so in this case?

Interesting logic. It's not surprising some Leeds fans are disappointed with the outcome given the permanent victim complex there seem to have, but argumentum ad populum...

West coast is obviously having one of those days/topics where 99% of the rest of us is ‘wrong’.  C’est la vie.

Re the point deduction, had it happened I can well imagine them going on ad nauseum about having been cheated out of another title, so I’m glad it didn’t happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Dear oh dear. That bloke who has set this up, seems to be a expert in the PR field.  Some of the comments are gold.They don't give a f*** , but are willing to pay the fine.........

Why not get the Club to pay for it, and give the money to the charities anyway?

I'm very glad they've been punished for it, sets a clear marker that this is unacceptable.  Just a relatively nominal amount this time, but of course if it's repeated then that's a more serious matter.

I'm totally with Webber on the response to this.  The EFL takes place in Britain last time I looked.  When I watch the Superbowl, lots of things are done in a very characteristically American way and I find myself watching with varied emotions, surprise, admiration, amusement from time to time at different parts, but it would never occur to me to complain about an American sporting event being carried on in an American way, or to think they should be changed because they're not the way I'd expect it to be done in England.

If there are other areas in the English game where bad behaviour should be picked up, then the response should be to make sure they're dealt with properly.  It shouldn't be to say we'll ignore this example of cheating because the sport is not perfect in dealing with all infractions.  Presumably that would mean we let everything go ?  It's a nonsense.

16 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think that's about right. In terms of getting an advantage it's a laughable action, but it does feel very unsportsmanlike and underhand. A slap on the wrists feels about right overall. 

@westcoastcanary, I don't think clubs not being fined for forms of bigotry among fans is a fair comparison: the manager is an employee and representative of a club, whereas undesirable fans are paying punters that the clubs do their level best to find if they do something like that and give a ban. They do not represent the club and, provided the clubs deal with that sort of action to the best of their ability, there's no good reason that the club should be penalised for incidents that it's impossible for the club's to prevent, short of not allowing any of the public to attend games. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

I can't help but think it would have all gone away if Bielsa had just said 'sorry, I hadn't realised that this isn't OK in England', rather than setting up a long, protracted and totally bizarre presentation to justify himself and his club.

We took the fine to shut it all off. Of course we don't agree with it internally, and those who say £200,000 isn't much can't have paid heed to fines of a fifth to a tenth of that for racists chanting in UEFA run competitions. Oh, and anyone trying to differentiate between what a manager does and fans does shows just how far down the irrational line some people are prepared to go to justify their prejudice.

We get it. Fans don't like Leeds and execution wouldn't have been enough for some. 

Our promotion bandwagon is slowing (or more accurately yours and Sheffield United's  - somehow - is speeding up). We just don't need the distraction. 

Lies were told from minute one by Lampard, and they became the truth. The Police unwittingly made light of it by talking about pliers etc when there were none (which they admitted when they realised what they'd done) and the representative never entered the training ground despite fat Frank lying about that too. Bielsa didn't help by stating that we should 'take the worse case scenario and say that I have had all teams watched'. He didn't mean he had (a number are behind closed doors), but was saying let's just assume it because that's what lazy journalists and biased opposition **** rakers would do.

Even now they talk about pliers and fence cutters. There were none. Not that many of you care or are interested in the truth. 

The false outrage from some has been truly pathetic. But when it comes to us reason goes out of the window.

Anyway, we're now thinking about painting our away dressing room walls pink because it apparently provides an unfair advantage to the home team by reducing testosterone  levels. I can't think what 'cheating' club thought of that but no doubt we'll be fined for it if indeed we do adopt it.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

West coast is obviously having one of those days/topics where 99% of the rest of us is ‘wrong’.  C’est la vie.

🙄 I have a lot of such days Branston. Of course mine is a minority view from the perspective of a signed up member of the Old Boys club.  As I said at the start, it is simply an offence against a peculiarly British sense of fair play. To pick up on what Stuart Webber said, it's like asking members of a monogamous society whether it's OK to have more than one wife.

5 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

@westcoastcanary, I don't think clubs not being fined for forms of bigotry among fans is a fair comparison: the manager is an employee and representative of a club, whereas undesirable fans are paying punters that the clubs do their level best to find if they do something like that and give a ban. They do not represent the club and, provided the clubs deal with that sort of action to the best of their ability, there's no good reason that the club should be penalised for incidents that it's impossible for the club's to prevent, short of not allowing any of the public to attend games. 

Doesn't stop UEFA taking action against clubs for racist behaviour by their fans in UEFA competitions, and yes, prompted by pressure from the FA amongst others, the widespread complaint being that UEFA have been slow to act and the action taken, including fines, derisory. Nor did any such convenient distinction as the one you try to draw stop UEFA fining Liverpool FC for the attack on the Man City bus. 

Edited by westcoastcanary
Typo

4 hours ago, StuartL said:

We took the fine to shut it all off. Of course we don't agree with it internally, and those who say £200,000 isn't much can't have paid heed to fines of a fifth to a tenth of that for racists chanting in UEFA run competitions. Oh, and anyone trying to differentiate between what a manager does and fans does shows just how far down the irrational line some people are prepared to go to justify their prejudice.

We get it. Fans don't like Leeds and execution wouldn't have been enough for some. 

Our promotion bandwagon is slowing (or more accurately yours and Sheffield United's  - somehow - is speeding up). We just don't need the distraction. 

Lies were told from minute one by Lampard, and they became the truth. The Police unwittingly made light of it by talking about pliers etc when there were none (which they admitted when they realised what they'd done) and the representative never entered the training ground despite fat Frank lying about that too. Bielsa didn't help by stating that we should 'take the worse case scenario and say that I have had all teams watched'. He didn't mean he had (a number are behind closed doors), but was saying let's just assume it because that's what lazy journalists and biased opposition **** rakers would do.

Even now they talk about pliers and fence cutters. There were none. Not that many of you care or are interested in the truth. 

The false outrage from some has been truly pathetic. But when it comes to us reason goes out of the window.

Anyway, we're now thinking about painting our away dressing room walls pink because it apparently provides an unfair advantage to the home team by reducing testosterone  levels. I can't think what 'cheating' club thought of that but no doubt we'll be fined for it if indeed we do adopt it.

"Lampard lied, the police lied and we won the European Cup....

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

Don't forget that the fa, EFL and everyone else is corrupt and will do anything to stop Leeds being successful, including injure their players according to one poster on motforum....