Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

If Worthington does go................

there have been many manager suggestions such as George Burley and Mike Newell but do you think we can really expect anybody as good as that if Worthington goes? It will be a tense few days.

While I accept the points you make Coney, I would argue that points 1 & 2 are open for debate though.

1.  The fact that we have recently been in the Premiership should make us attractive to potential players and managers.  Due to the fact the we are down the wrong end of the table though, we have pretty much lost our "pulling power" and are not able to offer (potentially) a league winners medal and Premiership football next season.  We seriously missed out in the summer by not using our "pulling powers" to full effect.  In July we should have been a very attractive prospect for any Championship player but come December we are behind the likes of Reading, Sheffield United and many more.

2. It is true that we have a good core of players but any new manager would probably have to sell the likes of Ashton and Green to buy any new players.  Add in the departure of Davenport come January and our "Core" of good players is not looking quite as appealing.

There will be a flood of applications - we are an attractive club,-

ground, facilities, owners (over-loyal?), fans, some good players and

an opportunity ot make something for a manager with ideas and energy.

The only slight worry is that the board may follow their previous

practice of promoting within. The assistant managers are implicated in

the present failure, but they are known, and perhaps liked, by the

Board. I feel that we need someone from outside.

[quote user="Salopian"]There will be a flood of applications - we are an attractive club,- ground, facilities, owners (over-loyal?), fans, some good players and an opportunity ot make something for a manager with ideas and energy.

The only slight worry is that the board may follow their previous practice of promoting within. The assistant managers are implicated in the present failure, but they are known, and perhaps liked, by the Board. I feel that we need someone from outside.

[/quote]

I agree - if city were to seek applications they would get loads of applications including some surprising suspects I am sure as we are an attractive proposition.  However my only concern is we do go internally and in my mind the coaching staff are equally to blame for our current predicament.

Williams is acceptable in the short term but as he has never had any obvious ambitions to be a manager I have concerns that his heart is in it, so that should only be a short term solution until a real leader can be found.  Williams as first team coach I would be happy with though

OTBC

We need a BIG NAME replacement!!!

Not so up and coming idiot from Div 3.

We have a big crowd, some good players (can''t think who at present though) and a great ground.

We will atract loads of offers.

It MUST be someone new from outside who will change our stlye so that the oposition don''t know what to expect.

We are too protictable at present!

COME ON NIGEL .... show yourself the door...... bye