Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Bristol City

Tickets have been on general Sale for weeks doubt they can accommodate additional tickets requested.

It's normally on the Monday before a match that Norwich put the block that's either home or away on sale, so I assume Bristol had until today to let us know whether they wanted the "extra" 500 seats.    

From what I read, they had only had 850 tickets already, which is the conservative initial allocation - the extra 500 therefore only takes them up to 1,350 which is hardly a big following even allowing for the schlepp across the country.  Shows again what good support we have.

It’ll be interesting to see what happens as this has been sold out on the canaries website since last week. I thought the away club has to commit to a given allocation well  before now & extra tickets would only be available on top if not taken by home fans but we’ll have to see.

23 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

From what I read, they had only had 850 tickets already, which is the conservative initial allocation - the extra 500 therefore only takes them up to 1,350 which is hardly a big following even allowing for the schlepp across the country.  Shows again what good support we have.

1350, that's pretty close to the same amount of away supporters we had at Bolton. So that doesn't really validate your last sentence! 

Except that was for a trip to Bolton who are nailed on relegation contenders.  The game between Bristol City and Norwich, the form team in the division and the leaders, is definitely one of the hot tickets for the weekend's games. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Agree that requesting only 850 tickets for a team who until yesterday were on a nine game winning run seems poor.

Slightly odd, unless it is that we’ve held the tickets back - we do often get smallish blocks “returned” for sale to our supporters about now.  It’s odd that they didn’t think they ‘needed’ more than 800.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Slightly odd, unless it is that we’ve held the tickets back - we do often get smallish blocks “returned” for sale to our supporters about now.  It’s odd that they didn’t think they ‘needed’ more than 800.

Us Norwich fans are a pretty daft bunch, we'd have 1,500 at Bolton whether we're 24th in the league or 1st in the league.  Not many clubs have that level of dedication. 

If it's the same process as a few seasons ago, the allocation would follow something like this.

Around a month ago Bristol City were a couple of games into an unbeaten run, 11th in the table.  They talk with Norwich and agree on an initial 830 allocation (sale or return), with the option for 500 more (sale no return).  Now a week out from the fixture with the club in the playoff places and on a brilliant run of 7 wins on the bounce, they've taken the option of the extra 500 with the penalty of paying for any that are not sold.

Had they of said no to the 500, they'd have gone on sale to City fans today (similar to what happened recently for the Millwall match).

I keep hearing about Bristol City's unbeaten run, I've not checked but have they beaten anyone who's any good? or has the fixture list been kind to them? I don't remember sitting up and taking notice of them after a win at Leeds or Boro for example. 

They do have to play a number of sides from the top 7, suggesting that since the mid-point they have perhaps had an ‘easier’ run....but have played themselves into decent form and look likely to have a big say in things.

48 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

I keep hearing about Bristol City's unbeaten run, I've not checked but have they beaten anyone who's any good? or has the fixture list been kind to them? I don't remember sitting up and taking notice of them after a win at Leeds or Boro for example. 

They played Bolton, Rotherham, Millwall and Blackburn. In all seven matches I think only one was against a team in the top half of the table

Looking at the report from their 1-0 win at Blackburn on 9th Feb  courtesy of a late goal from Pisano

according to Tony Mowbray the Blackburn boss

“They’ve got some very good defenders, carry a physical threat at the top end of the pitch”

bristol boss Lee Johnson said

”we talked about how important it was that we defended really well  and we did defend very well as a team”

”I thought we got in behind them very well, statistically we had more shots on target and eventually we wore them down”.

There you have it, Marco Bielsa eat your heart out!

seriously they sound well organised , physical and direct. A bit like a team we’ve played recently and conceded 3 goals to. So respect is in order, I’m sure DF won’t underestimate them !!

2 hours ago, splendidrush said:

I can confirm they lost to both Leeds and Boro when they played them last year.... they did win 3-2 at 1p5wich if that counts 😎?

They are a fickle bunch of fans. They wanted to sack Lee Johnson prior to this run as they were pretty woeful. Now of course they are nailed on champions. They expect a result on Saturday. One loss and the bubble will burst. 

Let's score early and play like Brazil.

4 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

They are a fickle bunch of fans. They wanted to sack Lee Johnson prior to this run as they were pretty woeful. Now of course they are nailed on champions. They expect a result on Saturday. One loss and the bubble will burst. 

LOL that'll do it.  But seriously, what sort of style of play do they have ?  I'm expecting them to be well-organised and solid defensively, and physical and direct in attack.  Very interesting to see how this one pans out, if we play like we can and don't give away a silly goal at the start, we should have to much for them, but that's a big IF....

4 hours ago, westcoastcanary said:

From whoscored.com

image.png.f5300007f3dbc74b930d85352a96394f.png

They last lost 0:2 to Leeds in the match prior to playing Ipswich. The run also includes two FA Cup matches (not shown) before going out to Wolves this weekend.

Looking at those results they are obviously good defensively but are hardly blowing teams away. I go into games expecting us to score 2 or 3 now so I'm pretty confident.

Early goal and I think we could get a 3 or 4-0

29 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Well, thankful that this sounds nothing like any of our fans this season

• Haha 2

I think the Preston game was the kick in the proverbial and we should have our game on now. It will be tight I think. Bristol will see a point as decent, whatever their fans are saying. They were good value at Ashton Gate. I was surprised how good. They pressed us all over the pitch (something Bolton  and Birmingham didn't do) and they were fairly dangerous in attack but not terrifyingly so.

It's a 1-0 scoreline for me, perhaps the goal coming later in the second  half and it will be one for the collective nerves.

We should fear no team now however. It will possibly come down to what that Southampton manager quoted (unsure of his source)....that winning a football match is often about who makes the least mistakes...

Unless we continue to really play like a Manchester City team and our fluid 'Farkeball' that we've watched so many times this season.

Bristol City have definitely been playing well. They haven't conceded more than 1 in a league match since they played us. But, they haven't really had any especially tough games; the pick of the bunch is against Forest. I hope we prove a bit more of a test than they are used to. I fully expect them to set up very defensive and look to hit us on the break. We will need to be patient and the first goal may be crucial.

Don't concede many do they?  9 in all those games - 2 of which we scored, and Ipswich got 2 of the others, so they can't be that good!

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

We got our passing game back against Bolton, I hope it continues against Bristol City - then we will win. 

As though it's entirely down to us whether we "lose" our passing game or "get it back"? I'd say a big part of the question is whether Bristol are Preston or Bolton.