Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Whoscored.com team of the week...

Zim, Max and Tom will be wondering what they've done wrong. Interesting that despite being beaten 4 times Remi was the pick for 'keeper... Oh, and that's a 10 for Pukki. 👑

3 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

First time I've seen it with more than one Norwich player in this season, I think!

Another example of us going under the radar Bob, I think people are starting to realise how good we are. 

• Like 1

Good spot NN and that's excellent but it's amazing that TT isn't on the list given he was brilliant Saturday and a very strong MoM candidate !  Also harsh on Zimmo who was very strong defensively and also played a lovely ball to setup the last goal.

Max will probably understand, he wasn't stretched too much.

Matthews was excellent I thought and did keep the scoreline down into relatively respectable territory.  Quite a few top class saves on the highlights.

Pukki was clearly annoyed with himself missing that 1v1 chance not long before the 4th goal, so he'd probably mark himself down below a perfect 10 for that :classic_cool:

30 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

Another example of us going under the radar Bob, I think people are starting to realise how good we are. 

When the scores are generated by an formula based on the game statistics I don’t think it has much to do with ‘going under the radar’. 

Whoscored ratings are a bit odd and they are always heavily bias towards attacking players - basically no one really knows how to statsically analyse defenders and full backs. 

A nice thing to see, but ultimately. fairly meaningless.

• Like 2

Godfrey and Zimmerman now our first choice CBs? No one would’ve guessed that at the start of the season. Are we preparing for life without Klose or simply Farke continuing to show faith in those that come into the team?

15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

When the scores are generated by an formula based on the game statistics I don’t think it has much to do with ‘going under the radar’. 

Whoscored ratings are a bit odd and they are always heavily bias towards attacking players - basically no one really knows how to statsically analyse defenders and full backs. 

A nice thing to see, but ultimately. fairly meaningless.

Yeah, I stopped taking these seriously when they put Seb Bassong in the team of the week the week we lost 5-4 to Liverpool.

Confused. Should we pay attention to this or not then? Who is compiling these stats? Is it journalists/sports scientists/fans? What credentials/qualifications do these people who award these, have? Are they quantifiable or are they just opinions? Does it matter either way? Also, awarding a  '10' to a player is ok on there then?

9 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Confused. Should we pay attention to this or not then? Who is compiling these stats? Is it journalists/sports scientists/fans? What credentials/qualifications do these people who award these, have? Are they quantifiable or are they just opinions? Does it matter either way? Also, awarding a  '10' to a player is ok on there then?

It is explained here - https://www.whoscored.com/Explanations

I think the expected rating for a striker is 7.5. Clearly Pukki is over achieving so it won't last....

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 1

Well...Klose is one of our best defenders and we have been subject to some soft goals from set pieces since he has been injured. Yet it would be difficult to drop one (Zimbo or Ben)...

I still think our defence is more solid with Klose playing...tough one for DF

I guess it's all opinion but for us its ours that count. My PC is down at the moment (on my tablet now) so didn't see the game on ifollow but Merston,  Murray et al simply purred over us. And the opinions seemed United in their praise for us.

Interesting that Hernandez is in there but I, without looking at the explanation yet, guess an attacking player is scored on the amount of attacking 'potential' they had in a game. Onel had lots of shots and was involved in the moves that led to goals. But i think he would have been disappointed with himself for not scoring. Had one or two glorious chances.

18 minutes ago, ROBFLECK said:

Well...Klose is one of our best defenders and we have been subject to some soft goals from set pieces since he has been injured. Yet it would be difficult to drop one (Zimbo or Ben)...

I still think our defence is more solid with Klose playing...tough one for DF

Don't think it will be all that tough for Farke. Outside of the break between the Rotherham and Middlesbrough game, most of the remaining matchs come on short rest, sometimes only 3 days. Klose will get his time.

• Like 1

There was an excellent Guardian Football Weekly awhile ago with Ted 'Mixed Knuts' Knutson, the former head of analytics with Brentford. He said that the two positions it is extremely hard to analyse statistically is central defense and goal keeper.

3 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

What I would say is that I'll take a team of the week like this with some methodology behind it rather than the usual guff you get from some random ex player who has usually just picked 10 players who scored a goal and a keeper who kept a clean sheet.

From memory Matthews saved 5 very decent chances which were on target ( including the penalty save). On another day 2/3 would have added to the scoreline. Likewise at Preston we had 24 shots and 9 very good ones with 3 excellent saves (can you have xS if you can have xG? xS being expected saves!)

7 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Godfrey and Zimmerman now our first choice CBs? No one would’ve guessed that at the start of the season. Are we preparing for life without Klose or simply Farke continuing to show faith in those that come into the team?

A question I asked a few weeks back, we couldn't see life beyond Klose at the start of the season,  there was lots of hand wringing around him and his contract and whether he would stay on. Now, it seems that the position has changed, if he leaves, will he be so difficult to replace, especially as he's no longer a guaranteed first choice. Incredible how the Team has continued to evolve over the course of this season. 

5 minutes ago, splendidrush said:

A question I asked a few weeks back, we couldn't see life beyond Klose at the start of the season,  there was lots of hand wringing around him and his contract and whether he would stay on. Now, it seems that the position has changed, if he leaves, will he be so difficult to replace, especially as he's no longer a guaranteed first choice. Incredible how the Team has continued to evolve over the course of this season. 

Absolutely. The team and squad have evolved so much that it’s only Webber and Farke we should really worry about losing.

Edited by Fiery Zac

Rave reviews from our Bolton vlogger  - at 1min 10 sec  Good to see he's found a club to call home and is appreciated.