Went to my sixth away match so far this season and it's been a stonking return to date. Far surpassing my expectations. Normally go with my nephew who lives in Leicester now and brother in law based in York. Only one defeat to date (courtesy of the old **** head Wilder), draws at Ipswich and Albion but wins at Forest, Owls and now Bolton. Rotherham and Wigan are next with a potential final day trip to Villa.

Bolton were one of the worst supported clubs I've been too which made for a pretty limp atmosphere which sometimes resembled a pre season friendly. Fair play to the 1500 Yellows for trying to liven up the living dead from Lancashire though!

Call me 'old school' but I still find it galling that players are so wrapped up listening to their music that they pretty much ignore the fans who've waited ages for the team coach to arrive. I was close to the action and got a good view. Now Norfolk souls are renowned for being 'reserved' and 'quiet' so maybe its' no surprise that most of the players walked straight past and into the ground? Had there been a rousing welcome then I've no doubt they may have responded more positively. Krul gave a sheepish grin and Pukki was clearly relaxed and smiling. Zimmerman disappointed considering how much he professes to 'love the  club'. Zero reaction from him. Ben and Max came over to sign some autographs so fair play to them. I didn't see Klose but apparently he was chatting with the fans. However, all our players I'd say (from what I saw) were shown how to behave on public duty by JR. He posed for photos and came across and signed several autographs right in front of me. Each time it was with a smile and a 'Thank You' to each fan. Tell you something that guy is absolute top class for his behaviour and professionalism. He's a credit to the club and conducts himself in exactly the right manner. Finally Farke was last man off the coach and was clearly appreciative of the fans and stopped to sign several autographs.

Have to stress that this was all before the game so would be interested in hearing what happened afterwards from others who were there.

Have been to Bolton several times and the atmosphere (along with the club) has deteriorated each time. I think Phil Parkinson is a decent manager but they will struggle to get back in The Championship looking at the downward spiral they're in. 'There but for the grace of God' I think is the saying!! 

• Like 1

Fair enough, I can understand players being focused when they arrive at the away ground but there you are.

good to hear that about JR, personally I was expecting DF to bring him on with 20 mins left at 4-0 to get some game time and rest Pukki so I found it surprising to see Srbeny unless JR has a knock.

Going to Bolton was sureal, the crowd sparse, no noise that I could hear from any other part of the ground except where we were.  One thing that helped after the match was that most of the Bolton fans had left well before the end and the roads were relatively quiet afterwards, enabling a quick getaway.  Don't think they quite got that the song "going  up, going down" was about the scum and not them. 

Plus after twenty minutes it was just a question of how many we would get. Must be hard being a Bolton fan after seeing  that.

Why on earth they had the upper tiers open i really do not understand. Close them and the atmosphere might  ( i say might ) have been better.

28 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

It took me till ICF's post that you weren't talking about John Ruddy.

To be honest, not only did I have that, but I was struggling to come up with who it actually was. Had to call up the squad list to figure out he meant Jordan Rhodes. 

Agree that he seems like a lovely guy though and feel a tad guilty I couldn't pin him down from his initials: think I just couldn't think past John Ruddy once it had entered my head. :classic_wacko:

In fairness to the Bolton fans, knowing your club is in financial meltdown, that you're on target for league 1 and you're sitting there watching them being obliterated by one of the top teams in the division, in the most humiliating fashion possible, is probably going to overwhelm the happiest of clappers in the stands.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

To be fair I could only think of John Ruddy until I saw it written down.

Was a little surprised that the City fans weren't given the section behind the goal considering there were so few fans there. I think the 14,006 attendance figure must have been tickets sold not bums on seats.

For heaven's sake yellowrider120 (or anybody else for that matter), don't distract the players when getting off the coach. If Teemu Pukki fell down the steps, or tripped on a bollard he hadn't noticed on his way to sign an autograph, that could be our season finished. Particularly in unfamiliar surroundings at away matches ...................... :classic_tongue: 😉

Jordan Rhodes was/is probably quite expensive for us.

The fact that he is back up despite this is testament to the superb performances of Pukki and the incredible way our "system" is working results wise.

Nevertheless JR has proven to be value for money for the vital points winning goals he has scored during this campaign that will probably prove vital if we are to succeed this season.

Money well spent, good character, good influence, experienced and I, personally, would not be against retaining him if we did go up next season, even if his present role were to be the same or even reduced slightly.

Ina situation where every goal counts a natural goal scorer will always earn that vital point.

A bit part player at the moment but, by contradiction, a very successful stint thus far.

JR seems a lovely man and he clearly, desperately wants to stay with Norwich.

It seems a shame, but I can't see us signing him permanently if we do go up and definitely not if we stay in Championship. But the way he has handled himself, on the pitch and off, has been completely exemplary.

I saw him wandering in the city today but didn't want to be 'that guy' (usually I don't worry but he was with his wife and kids!)

JR ( I'm reclaiming JR now from John Ruddy to Jordan) had been a wonderful ambassador and mediator between players and fans. His goals have been important too (....West Brom, Millwall ) but with Teemu in such devastating form, his chances have been do limited (occasional 10 minutes of playing time?). Who knows, he may just become extremely important in our run in and I wouldn't bet against him scoring another vital goal or two in our run in.

Lovely fella to boot.

• Like 1

+1 - seems like a true get and a class professional. Seems pretty content with the fact that TP is banging them in and why he has to be patient.

The cynic in me would say that he would of course be pleased as punch to be sat on the bench, earning his money without having to get involved... I don't believe that though really, he of course wants minutes, but more importantly wants whats best for the team. Got to love that.

A lot of sportsman find it helpful to listen to music tö focus before sporting activity. I certainly find it very helpful. People really should not disturb players before a game.