River End Canary

Is Lambert heading for a new record?

34 minutes ago, River End Canary said:

Will he be the first manager to relegate 2 separate teams in consecutive seasons? 

And to think, he was the messiah. The messiah that you wanted back as manager through the tenures of most of those that followed him, including the current coach. I guess you no longer want that now River End?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

And to think, he was the messiah. The messiah that you wanted back as manager through the tenures of most of those that followed him, including the current coach. I guess you no longer want that now River End?

Hindsight is an exact science.

He will of course, argue that he inherited a sh*tstorm, can't debate that,  however,  no new Manager 'bounce ' new players in the window, again no closer to survival.  If truth be told, he, and Evans were planning for League 1when he arrived so put all his energy into getting the fans onside. If they don't get off to a flyer next Season he'll be finished. 

Can someone remind me of the lowest points total in the Championship ever ?  That's got to be worth another star if they get it, next to the one for the record defeat in the Premiership (9-0 to Man Utd for anyone who's interested).

7 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Can someone remind me of the lowest points total in the Championship ever ?  That's got to be worth another star if they get it, next to the one for the record defeat in the Premiership (9-0 to Man Utd for anyone who's interested).

It's 23 by Rotherham. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Still the messiah ? 🤣

According to some rumours (nb) floating around and the odd comment on TWTD PL is getting "tanked up" quite a bit too much recently.

It is an easy accusation to make and what does it mean exactly (I prefer a  pint or two before a game of golf as I play better) when all is said and done?

In true hypocrite style I remain neutral on the matter, having just raised it in the first place.

Some of his OTT comments about that club and their players since assuming the role, his aggressive behaviour at Carrow Road and his subsequent incorrect assessment of what exactly happened and even his rather bizarre comments about his team's poor performance against Stole last time out do suggest that all is not right with the man.

Apparently George Burley was considered to be a bit too drunk too much.

Lambert must be under enormous pressure.

I do not consider him intelligent enough to be performing a well-planned con trick on the club just for the cash.There is more to it than that.

I'm pretty sure they'll pass the 23 points mark, and might even win the odd game, probably once they're relegated and the pressure is off. It's not impossible, theoretically, for them to escape the drop, but the reality is that they have no chance of gaining 10 more points than Reading and Rotherham with 13 games left.

So where will they be then? relegated with a bloated squad of not very good players. Lambert would have done better to look to their Under 23 squad and start building for League 1 when he came in.

Another question I've not seen raised before is how much is Lambert being paid, and can they afford him in League 1? He is unlikely to have a relegation clause in his contract....is he?

I feel torn - I usually don't like to watch as someone disintegrates before my eyes, but this is Lambert and I think I can make an exception in his case.

Lambert loves them so much he's doing it for free. In fact more benevolent than that because he's putting money in for their fans.

Just like Marcus :classic_unsure:

40 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

I'm pretty sure they'll pass the 23 points mark, and might even win the odd game, probably once they're relegated and the pressure is off. It's not impossible, theoretically, for them to escape the drop, but the reality is that they have no chance of gaining 10 more points than Reading and Rotherham with 13 games left.

So where will they be then? relegated with a bloated squad of not very good players. Lambert would have done better to look to their Under 23 squad and start building for League 1 when he came in.

Another question I've not seen raised before is how much is Lambert being paid, and can they afford him in League 1? He is unlikely to have a relegation clause in his contract....is he?

I feel torn - I usually don't like to watch as someone disintegrates before my eyes, but this is Lambert and I think I can make an exception in his case.

I think there is around 15-20 out of contract in June (inc Loanees)

so it will be down to the bare bones, not a pot to pi ss in regarding signing new players

54 minutes ago, River End Canary said:

We can all agree that Agent Lambert is doing a magnificent job 

One Paul Lambert there is only one Paul Lambert 

He's not the Messiah anymore, he's just a very naughty boy.........

😀

There is nothing random about Lambert’s actions. Splendid touched on a part of it when he mentioned planning for next season.

Lambert has contrived a number of movie set pieces to publicly cut any real or imagined umbilical cord between him and Norwich. All of the antagonism and betraying of old flames is merely a means to an end in his current role.

He has done this because he is a ruthless careerist, though also because Ipswich have little to cling to and - as Splendid intimates - he needs fans onside for next season’s campaign. It was cheap rabble-rousing.

Equally as a careerist he finds himself with it all to prove again and needs to make this job work. He has the chance of something of a clean slate League 1 campaign à la Norwich, with few existing player obligations and (possibly) a relatively decent budget for that level. Evans would confirm all fears if he did not inject something now. It is believed that he sees Lambert as a coup and will support. Lambert knows this is a good gig for him now as he is running out of football-credit road.

Nevertheless Lambert’s ego is unlikely to be vastly diminished and he will see some rejuvenation of Ipswich as a stepping stone to another job. The wheel is come full circle as he sees it. 

Parma

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

There is nothing random about Lambert’s actions. Splendid touched on a part of it when he mentioned planning for next season.

Lambert has contrived a number of movie set pieces to publicly cut any real or imagined umbilical cord between him and Norwich. All of the antagonism and betraying of old flames is merely a means to an end in his current role.

He has done this because he is a ruthless careerist, though also because Ipswich have little to cling to and - as Splendid intimates - he needs fans onside for next season’s campaign. It was cheap rabble-rousing.

Equally as a careerist he finds himself with it all to prove again and needs to make this job work. He has the chance of something of a clean slate League 1 campaign à la Norwich, with few existing player obligations and (possibly) a relatively decent budget for that level. Evans would confirm all fears if he did not inject something now. It is believed that he sees Lambert as a coup and will support. Lambert knows this is a good gig for him now as he is running out of football-credit road.

Nevertheless Lambert’s ego is unlikely to be vastly diminished and he will see some rejuvenation of Ipswich as a stepping stone to another job. The wheel is come full circle as he sees it. 

Parma

I will second this Parma. Ruthless he indeed is. Yet there is something quite hollow about him too. I was trying then to think of what else he was heading for? But I could only think mid-table obscurity in League 1 ......and that would be with a tail wind too.

Things are the other way round this time for him. In 2009 he inherited a Championship side playing in League 1, whereas this time he has a League 1 side playing in the Championship.

He took over a side in 2009 with Drury, the Doc, Nelson,Grant Holt, Wes, Chris Martin, McVeigh, Lappin, and Darel Russell in the squad. He, or Culverhouse, got them playing as a team, but he had good players to start with.

Agent Hurst has ensured that Lambert is facing the toughest challenge of his career, with the poorest (or biggest) tools.

Sonic, you are under-valuing the priceless ability of professional sportsmen to project the reality they want to see, excluding all other possibilities. 

As a player this is necessary and invaluable. As a manager it needs to be used sparingly and coupled tightly with pragmatic realism. 

As Ferguson never said ‘I am brilliant at what I do because I surround myself with brilliant people and cultivate an image that suits the necessary result’.

Having had success it is easy to revert to the comforting shelter of your own personal Messianic myth and to ignore other circumstantial factors or imagine that they were of limited relevance in relation to your own gifts. 

Ferguson was clever enough as a manager - and perhaps not quite brilliant enough as a player - not to succumb. 

We may - on the other hand - have seen a wonderful comet streak across the sky,  never to return to such a brightness again....

...not that he’ll think that....

Parma 

Yes he was one of those comets indeed Parma, the kind that orbits every 50 years or so but decreasing in magnitude ever after. He is merely cosmic dust now in our hearts and minds! 

• Like 1

As others have said as a complete careerist - Lambert is doing whatever is needed to try and fashion something for himself to re-invigorate as a manager, people will always remember what he did here, as we should so too... He is living off of his success here and that must be a bitter pill to swallow, especially knowing where it has led him.

34 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes he was one of those comets indeed Parma, the kind that orbits every 50 years or so but decreasing in magnitude ever after. He is merely cosmic dust now in our hearts and minds! 

Perfectly put !

Strange bloke Lambert. I read somewhere that he said that in all the three years he was at Norwich he never went out in the city. That's probably an exaggeration as he must have been dragged out socially by McNally & Co from time to time and he must have done a bit of shopping but it seems odd that someone would say that.

I expect it's the same at Ipswich - no surprise there as who would - but to me it seems he has no feeling for anywhere he's managed and has no interest other than looking for the next move.

20 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Things are the other way round this time for him. In 2009 he inherited a Championship side playing in League 1, whereas this time he has a League 1 side playing in the Championship.

He took over a side in 2009 with Drury, the Doc, Nelson,Grant Holt, Wes, Chris Martin, McVeigh, Lappin, and Darel Russell in the squad. He, or Culverhouse, got them playing as a team, but he had good players to start with.

Agent Hurst has ensured that Lambert is facing the toughest challenge of his career, with the poorest (or biggest) tools.

Very good point about our Championship squad in League 1, which I believe he himself said in the press conferences before our game.  I can't believe his performance - which is worse than Hurst's - isn't being questioned.  Or is it just resignation that relegation was inevitable from the day he was appointed?

As I've stated before, Lambert finds himself in a no lose position currently, and has the nous to play the PR game. Of course the fans of ITFC , as desperate as any bunch of fans can be, are a soft touch. PL has exploited this very well. 

PL's stock was so low, that an opportunity to manage  ITFC , and get the opportunity of a lengthy contract was too good to be true. That is his driving force. And does he really think he can get them back up? The suggestion that he is "building for league 1" isn't really supported by his activity in the transfer window - paying players wages that they couldn't afford in league one (on players that probably wouldn't play in league 1 anyway) . Yet Lambert has told the fans how happy players like Keane and Quaner are - happy enough to play in league 1 on half their current wages? Its Bull . Classic Lambert Bull. 

As Parma says , and another theme many of us have touched on, PL is a careerist. As in other parts of his life, if he can engineer a "better" opportunity , he will , as we saw with Burnley and Villa. I wonder if Lambert has bought a house to really cement his love of all things Suffolk? Or whether he just rents his old room at Dunston Hall. 

I can't help but be struck by the irony of the official ITFC club twitter feed celebrating the life of Bobby Robson , and some of the more bizarre quotes from Lambert with equal vigour. Just stop for a moment and imagine Robson picking a fight against the opposition bench just to curry favour with the supporters? Robson too was a career opportunist, but there the comparison ends. 

What a season I'm having. After I've gorged on all that's going on for City this season, I can then turn to twatted and get more entertainment from our boy Paul. Listening to his regular post and pre-match pressers (which usually last well over half an hour), he has drained me of the admiration and gratitude that I hitherto had for him.The desperation he exhibits in trying to endear himself to all things Ipswich is sickening, to Evans, to the supporters, to the press and at great length in one interview, to the town itself. A couple of weeks after his appointment he walked into the town centre for the first time and was blown away by what a wonderful place it is!  Part of the reason for the length of these press events is the time he devotes to reminding everybody of his footballing pedigree (certainly not his breeding as we saw in the derby match). We hear about Celtic and Scotland and his European success in Germany but never the slightest mention of his managerial career. I guess there is not much to say about Livingston, Wycombe or Colchester, his one success he doesn't like to mention in those quarters and then there is Villa, Blackburn, Wolves and Stoke. Again, the less said the better.

I didn't see mention of what contract he was engaged on but the effort he is now putting into being allowed to continue next season "even if we go down", suggests that it is not long term. I'd recommend TWTD to any City fan who might share my perverse mind.