Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

The total disrespect of Norwich supporters.

It is the British disease. From moderated message boards to goverment spin and centralisation, we are ''managed.''

Norwich City Football Club has strengthened it''s brand by management. The results have been impressive.

But now the times are tough and so much was invested in the ''vision'' that no one considered the necessity for a ''Plan B.''

I still rankle at the thought that Delia Smith, who I generally respect and appreciate, had the temerity to lecture Norwich supporters live on television during half time at the Man City home match last year. The bottom line there was: because she thought she could.

The club thinks it can. The club thinks it can ''manage'' the supporters through the present situation.

I gave up on Worthington when I felt he had lost his grip, fight and purpose and that happened last Saturday.

Worthy is the weak link in the club PR machine. Unless Roy Waller is spoon feeding him he is hopeless at microphone and I bet the club ''management'' cringe when they hear him. He is the chink in the corporate armour as he cannot avoid live interviews.

The disrespect of supporters, the taking for granted of our impressively loyal fans has spread to the players who seldom possess the acumen to present the right image. As a result, their indifference has become our disaffection.

Norwich City Football Club would respond to this type of accusation in measured managed language; they would deny any of it is true.

Like the politician, the barrister, the salesman some people can convince themselves of their own truths and believe that if they do so they can influence others.

Norwich City need a reality check. They need to re-discover the sort of truths they knew when raising the club from the post Chase era and before they began to believe too fervently in their own publicity.

Some of us have read George Orwell, we only go along with the hype because we want to and can see right through it all.

Get some objective views on board. Think outside the box. And remember the last thing to see the sea (or aquarium Wiz) is the fish.

Stop disrespecting the supporters.

This is so true, the most valuable skill anybody can have at work is sales skill. If you can sell well you can get past anything. I myself am a hopeless sales person but I have seen plenty of people in my company (Esso) rise up to managerial positions when they aren''t really that clever at all - but what they are good at is selling, in this case, themselves.

All clubs now seem to have a large pool of skilled "PR" people (just as the government does) which is responsible for putting whatever spin is needed on any story that may appear. Honesty goes well out of the window and is replaced by smooth talking, "soundbites" and promises of a brighter future.

Depressing and annoying but what we are currently stuck with I am afraid.

Mark .Y.

Agreed

I wonder though, in private if Munby, Doncaster and co really believe the stuff they are spouting and surely, surely they don''t really expect that we are going to meekly take it on board and believe it do they?

Has anyone told them that you stop believing in the tooth fairy and Father Christmas when you are about 10?

33 defeats in 66 is the killer for me - losing every other game.

OTBC