Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Ralph Hunt

31 in the League and 2 in the FA Cup

I expect I am one of the few left who can remember him in action. Division 3 (South)

Big blonde guy, old fashioned type of centre forward who could run through a brick wall. Very good in the air, not so good on the ground.

Played for a lot of clubs in the lower leagues. Tragically killed in a car accident sometime in the 1960's

Terry Allcock got 26 in the '62/63 season and another 11 in the Cups (6 FA-5 LC) 37 in total which is the record.

5 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I expect I am one of the few left who can remember him in action. Division 3 (South)

Big blonde guy, old fashioned type of centre forward who could run through a brick wall. Very good in the air, not so good on the ground.

Played for a lot of clubs in the lower leagues. Tragically killed in a car accident sometime in the 1960's

I too remember him Ricardo although your memory is much better than mine.

I found this piece confirming your recollections........

"Clubs played for: Portsmouth, AFC Bournemouth, Norwich City, Derby County, Grimsby Town, Swindon Town, Port Vale, Newport County, Chesterfield (1952-1964)

Born: 1933

Birthplace: Portsmouth

Died: 1964

Position: Forward

Biography: Centre forward whose goal-scoring career took off after he left Fratton Park. He only managed five starts in his two years as a professional before moving along the coast to play for Bournemouth. It was while with his next club, Norwich City that he started to regularly hit the back of the net - he scored 67 goals in 124 league matches, and his 31 goals in the 1955-56 season is still a club record. Portsmouth boy Hunt, then took his goal scoring boots around the country, eventually signing for Chesterfield in 1964. He was tragically killed in a car accident in the same year, he was only 31 at the time."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

He died in a car accident on 17 December 1964 at the age of 31 The accident occurred on the return journey to watch cup opponents Peterborough United with teammates Peter Stringfellow (who was driving), Ron Powell and Doug Wragg.

1955-56 season

Date Match Result Score Competition
19 Nov 1955 Norwich City v Dorchester Town W 4-0 FA Cup
10 Dec 1955 Brighton and Hove Albion v Norwich City W 1-2 FA Cup
07 Jan 1956 Sunderland v Norwich City L 4-2 FA Cup

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Terry Allcock got 26 in the '62/63 season and another 11 in the Cups (6 FA-5 LC) 37 in total which is the record.

it is the league record that Pukki might overhaul

otherwise Ralph had a bit of the 'Alf Tuppers' here

" He turned up on a motorbike ten minutes before the kick-off on 16 December, before he got onto the pitch to make his Vale Park debut against Shrewsbury Town – he then preceded to score a hat-trick in what was a 4–1 victory for the "Valiants" "

• Like 1

My dad always said he was a bit of a carthorse but although not quick or tricky I thought he was pretty decent in front of goal. I remember him best converting a header at the Barclay End from a peach of a cross from Bobby Brennan. Can't for the life of me remember who it was against but certain things do stick in your mind. I can also remember him scoring against 1pswich in that 3-2 win I mentioned the other day. I'm pretty sure that one was at the River End.

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

He died in a car accident on 17 December 1964 at the age of 31 The accident occurred on the return journey to watch cup opponents Peterborough United with teammates Peter Stringfellow (who was driving), Ron Powell and Doug Wragg.

1955-56 season

Date Match Result Score Competition
19 Nov 1955 Norwich City v Dorchester Town W 4-0 FA Cup
10 Dec 1955 Brighton and Hove Albion v Norwich City W 1-2 FA Cup
07 Jan 1956 Sunderland v Norwich City L 4-2 FA Cup

I was at the Dorchester Town game Bill. As I recall I stood in the Enclosure which was in front of the Main Stand. (3 pence extra for boys)😀

In the game away at Sunderland I believe we led 2-1 at halftime

Dorchester, that must have been quite a haul - train I presume

my uncle used to go to games then, had a rattle....which I think was TB

later years, in search of adventure, he left home to join the Legion

not as exciting as he thought... it was the British Legion

but he did become a dab hand a crib

15 minutes ago, Bill said:

Dorchester, that must have been quite a haul - train I presume

my uncle used to go to games then, had a rattle....which I think was TB

later years, in search of adventure, he left home to join the Legion

not as exciting as he thought... it was the British Legion

but he did become a dab hand a crib

It was a home game. The Brighton win was at the Goldstone ground and Sunderland was at Roker Pk.

Well Alf Ackerman must be up with the best 66 goals in  through 1951/53

Born in South Africa

OR Roy Hollis was a footballer and is a member of the Norwich City Hall of Fame. Great Yarmouth-born Hollis made 107 appearances for Norwich as a centre-forward between 1948 and 1952, scoring 59 times. Hollis scored a hat-trick in less than 30 minutes on debut for Norwich

To be fair that's not a bad point Crabby, most of his goals have come from open okay, that could easily have added a further 5 or 6 to his tally!

I guess you have to qualify the numbers with the standard of opposition, is Grant Holt's total in League 1 as impressive as Chris Sutton's in the Premiership? Personally I think Robert Fleck's total is more impressive than Ewan Roberts' despite being less, scoring regularly in the top flight is harder than clocking up goals against Gillingham and Crewe. 

His name keeps appearing at the top of the Norwich top scorers lists at the moment.

There was a recent article in the EDP - https://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/63-year-old-norwich-city-goal-record-ralph-hunt-1-5958293

His widow - Janet Hunt's funeral was last week. I remember her from giving swimming lessons at Recreation Road pool. Didn't know she was married to a NCFC player until now.

If you are looking at ratios in the top division whatever its title then surprisingly Viv Busby has the best. Ted MacDougall played more games for a tad less whereas Efan Ekoku was close behind.

Its all relative of course because of the type of football, tactics and opposition. I think MacDougall was the most natural I have seen as Davies never played in the top league for us.

But  iwould be delighted for Teemu to smash Hunt's league record as it would mean he had banged in half a dozen goals in the nest six games.

On 17/02/2019 at 15:56, Bill said:

He died in a car accident on 17 December 1964 at the age of 31 The accident occurred on the return journey to watch cup opponents Peterborough United with teammates Peter Stringfellow (who was driving), 

I'm glad there was a hyperlink because I was utterly baffled as to how the other Peter Stringfellow had ever been a pro-footballer....

Image result for peter stringfellow

Just now, kick it off said:

I'm glad there was a hyperlink because I was utterly baffled as to how the other Peter Stringfellow had ever been a pro-footballer....

Image result for peter stringfellow

Ralph Hunt ?

I think you maybe thinking of rhyming slang

The thing with Ralph Hunt is that he did it in the 3rd tier of English football when the standards weren't quite as professional as they are today. So whilst he's the record holder, players like Pukki surely surpass purely on difficulty levels.

Pukki will go down in Norwich's long history as a striker we will all remember, like Sutton, Holt, McDougal, Davies, Roberts, Fleck. We have seen something special for sure. It's why, despite so many other worthy candidates this year, that he will be probably be POTS and in the EFL team of the year. The fact he is Finish just adds to his mystique. I think he will get to 30 goals (as a team though we may fall short of 100 goals this season but Teemu will have scored one third of them. And most of them have been clinical finishes).

• Like 1

Pukki is on 9 league assists too, impressive considering he isn't on set pieces. Majority of the other top scorers aren't anywhere near.

2 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

The thing with Ralph Hunt is that he did it in the 3rd tier of English football when the standards weren't quite as professional as they are today. So whilst he's the record holder, players like Pukki surely surpass purely on difficulty levels.

I don't think you can play down past achievements like that. Others could argue that the third tier was stronger then because with the pay scales players didn't have so much reason to move on.

Players can only ever be the best in their time.