Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

So, Leitner

1 minute ago, ron obvious said:

Who does he replace? Looked a genuine Premiership class player when he came on.

But ... who does he replace??

Maybe no one just yet, perhaps half an hour or so next game.  Ease him back in , too valuable to risk too much too soon.

Difficult because you need to balance match time against the need to introduce him back in gently. Can Farke resist bringing him back against Bristol? Going to be a difficult game.

It was noticeable what a steadying influence he had when he came on today. It put an end to a rather panicky spell in which we had lost control and allowed even Bolton to unsettle us.

Start him on Saturday. Bristol City are on an incredible run. If they beat us they go within 7 points with two games in hand, putting them right in the hunt for top 2. Beat them and it'll hopefully put them out of the running. 

It's actually become a pretty huge game. 

10 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

It was noticeable what a steadying influence he had when he came on today. It put an end to a rather panicky spell in which we had lost control and allowed even Bolton to unsettle us.

Agreed he gives you that extra control, we’ve really missed him. Good job we’ve not slipped down the table too far while he was injured 😀 🤪

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Agreed he gives you that extra control, we’ve really missed him. Good job we’ve not slipped down the table too far while he was injured 😀🤪

👍 Speaks volumes for Vrancic. 

Would imagine Mr Webber is rather happy nobody wanted him when we were openly trying to shift him in the summer.

Incredible that he's our second choice in that position really. Probably isn't a team in the league where Mario isn't first choice.

And I thought McLean stepped up today too. 

It's great to have Leitner, Trybull, McLean and Vrancic in our squad. Then you've got Stiepermann, Tettey & Cantwell about the place.

There really feels no weaknesses and folk just slot in and pick up on our passing game.

Mo coming back today is the icing on the cake. Great to have him in our last quarter if the season. 

• Like 1

I just saw the stat about Trybull. He had 153 successful passes today! The most any player has had since records began of successful passes by any NCFC player ( possibly any team). 

We also had 749 passes today as a team. So Tom made c.20% of them.

Edited by sonyc

On reflection I think I'd play Leitner over Kenny at the mo (:classic_laugh: sorry). He did a good job today but Moritz just has that way of controlling a game, dictating the pace That Kenny doesn't really have. So Mo to replace him against Brizzle for me (perhaps bring Kenny on later if Mo tires).

It's a straight fight between Kenny and Mo for me. Everyone else has put their own names on the team sheet. Mo is absolute class though, it must be said but I'd still like to see what Kenny can do!

Leitner now coming back to full fitness could be the most important piece of news for the run in.

He was the most important player for us before he got injured and made the whole team tick. Vrancic has been immense and I commented throughout our great run how good he looked when coming on and it was no reflection on his performances that he couldn’t get into the starting 11. With both players fit it would be a real conundrum as to who to start and I genuinely wouldn’t mind either (but can’t see it being both). What a problem to have hopefully in a few weeks time.

Leitner looked good when he came on and looked commanding straight away, but we were miles in the lead by then.   It will take a few games for him to get right back to full match fitness so I would stick with the team that started today and see if we can put away Bristol City with the same panache the players did today.  Once in the lead, then bring him on to help stifle the opposition as they try to get back in.    If we don't get in the lead without him, or go behind, he is still ideal to bring on to ensure we keep posession and get back in it. 

• Like 1

I also would like to mention Buendía, he’s so good with his all round game it’s noticeable how he’s normally taking more than one opposing player to mark him, he’s definitely making more space around him, which in turn allows time and space for the likes of McLean today, Leitner and others to play killer balls through. He’s an amazing talent and for me bigger impact to this side than Maddison last season.

Excellent to have an abundance of top class players who are confident and love playing in the Farke style.

• Like 3

Just to add I didn’t think we had the depth in our squad at the begging of the season, totally wrong in that, we have a great squad for this level, I’m impressed with Webber & Farke in getting out players who just didn’t appear to deliver for us and give the youngsters the chance. 

Nothing new in being wrong for me!👍😉

• Like 4

I don't think I've ever seen us with such a high overall skill level - with confidence to match.

I think I've spotted a rather cunning plan at work as well; when there's no obvious passing move on the man with the ball dribbles towards the touchline, drawing at least a couple of players towards him & thus out of position. He then executes a 270 deg. turn, cuts back inside & passes to the player now freed up. Anyone else notice this?

• Like 1

153 passes?!?! Farke me. Spending 30 seconds trying to find out, but the most successful passes in a pl match is 174 by gungadon (or whatever he is called) for Chelsea. Couldnt quickly see a definitive list anywhere though...

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Leitner looked good when he came on and looked commanding straight away, but we were miles in the lead by then.   It will take a few games for him to get right back to full match fitness so I would stick with the team that started today and see if we can put away Bristol City with the same panache the players did today.  Once in the lead, then bring him on to help stifle the opposition as they try to get back in.    If we don't get in the lead without him, or go behind, he is still ideal to bring on to ensure we keep posession and get back in it. 

Bristol City and Bolton are chalk and cheese. It would be crazy to think the set up we went with today could produce the same performance against Bristol. Barring any new injuries, set backs or miraculous recoveries, I can't see Leitner not starting in place of Maclean next Saturday. 

45 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Bristol City and Bolton are chalk and cheese. It would be crazy to think the set up we went with today could produce the same performance against Bristol. Barring any new injuries, set backs or miraculous recoveries, I can't see Leitner not starting in place of Maclean next Saturday. 

I disagree. We will need to be on the front foot next week, like we were today - and we were as unstoppable today as at any time this season and Maclean was part of that.  Leitner straight hasn't started a league game for months - and he can be ideal to bring on later in the game, as he was today. 

He may well be given the start, but imo it isn't cut and dried - the team as at the start of the match today was brilliant, even if it was against Bolton - not many teams are going to be able to stay the pace we played at in the first half today - and Maclean was good in that and will get better the more he plays. 

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I disagree.

Everyone's prerogative Lakey.

By the way, surely you've acquired some Cummerlan dialect from your sojourn up there. Don't tell me you still call a stream a stream and not a beck! 😉 :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

As good as Maclean is, or might be, in all honesty at the moment Leitner is different class.

No worries, he'll be fully fit for next week and he will start.

You have to play your best players against the better teams and that definitely includes Bristol City

• Like 2