Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Bolton*****

Laptop in the hospital at the moment and my super duper smart telly or tablet don't let me tune in to ifollow so relying on SSN. Delighted but really dumbfounded that we are brilliant at moving the ball from front to back but dire at thumping it home from 12 yards!

We will be top and it's up to the others to knock us off it. 

This going to sound like scapegoating but it’s funny how we look quicker and more dynamic without Tettey! Sad as he’s been a legend but maybe just not the right type of player to fit Farke’s style, impressed with McLean today.

Good reaction to Wednesday....well played lads.

• Like 1

95th minute of the last game of the season and we get a penalty with one point needed for promotion and us losing 1-0. That  would help the blood pressure!

Edited by Crafty Canary

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

This going to sound like scapegoating but it’s funny how we look quicker and more dynamic without Tettey! Sad as he’s been a legend but maybe just not the right type of player to fit Farke’s style, impressed with McLean today.

Not sure if it is Tettey per se, I feel that having him and Trybull together is unnecessary. Either one or t'other and Trybull is playing really well, so he should be first choice.

8 minutes ago, Indy said:

Very harsh on Tettey, he was absolutely vital for us earlier in the season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Not sure if it is Tettey per se, I feel that having him and Trybull together is unnecessary. Either one or t'other and Trybull is playing really well, so he should be first choice.

You might be right in the similarities between the two, makes you wonder if Thompson stayed fit if he’d get into this starting line up.

1 minute ago, Fiery Zac said:

Don’t mean to be harsh, but he looked poor in the second half against the binners and Wednesday certainly didn’t warrant a start today. I just think from what’s been seen over the past three months we’ve certainly moved on with the passing & movement, it’s been outstanding at times.

5 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Absolutely this. There are some very short memories on here. Farke wouldn’t have made him captain if he wasn’t a keystone of the team.

• Like 1

Great result. Baggies and Blades win as well. It's mighty tight at the top. Big game next weekend! 

I don't think I've ever seen Norwich play such good football, not under Stringer, not under Walker, not under O'Neill, not under Worthington, not under Lambert...Farke's football is the best I've ever seen.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

You might be right in the similarities between the two, makes you wonder if Thompson stayed fit if he’d get into this starting line up.

No facts to back me up, (except hearing a rumour that Trybull was on the for sale list), but maybe Thompson was supposed to be Tettey's understudy. But that al changed with his injuries and Trybull's form to a lesser extent.

15 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

I agree that he played well for us earlier this season, but I don't think it's harsh to say that the team doesn't look as fluid with him on the pitch. I lo↕e Tettey, and I wanted him involved, but mainly as a sub as long as our other options remain healthy.

Great bounce back win. Shame about the penalty, getting beyond the joke. I think it will come down to goal difference between us, Leeds, Sheff Utd and WBA. So tight at the top.

1 hour ago, Ian said:

Maybe qualify it with "perhaps" or "in my opinion" then? Looks like McLean has adapted fairly well given the first half.

Maybe read the post you are commenting on carefully first. ICF pointed out the "my guess".

37 minutes ago, unique said:

Has today confirmed that Mclean provides an excellent third option alongside Leitner and Vrancic?

No; he hasn't been tasked with playing the Vrancic/Leitner role. Trybull has mainly been doing the pivot role, and Stiepermann has often been dropping further back than he normally does, allowing Mclean to play in the more advanced role that he's familiar with. This has proved effective today, but Bolton are probably one of only a few teams in the league against whom we can afford to play what is effectively 4:1:4:1.
KM has shown us what we knew already, that he's a good attacking CM.

Awesome performance today.  McLean - Trybull combination worked well. Some truly fluid football and a pleasure to watch.  Top performances all over the pitch and difficult to pick MOM.  Probably Pukki for his goals and intelligent runs.

52 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Where's Ted McDougal when you need him.

Having a quick after match meal and I just thought to myself "oh for a Ted McDougal". But must say I had to laugh. Only tho as were 0-4 up. Smash it high down the middle someone!! 

Seriously, today was a master class. No time for a report yet. 

MOTM ? Loads of them but Trybull / Pukki were immense.

OTBC

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Maybe read the post you are commenting on carefully first. ICF pointed out the "my guess".

No; he hasn't been tasked with playing the Vrancic/Leitner role. Trybull has mainly been doing the pivot role, and Stiepermann has often been dropping further back than he normally does, allowing Mclean to play in the more advanced role that he's familiar with. This has proved effective today, but Bolton are probably one of only a few teams in the league against whom we can afford to play what is effectively 4:1:4:1.

McLean was very decent today. 

We could ( should ) have got 6 today.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, westcoastcanary said:

Not much point in arguing about it, but your post reads as follows:

The reason KM has so far been restricted to brief sub appearances suggests that he has been slow to adapt to the requirements of our system. 

Perhaps it's just poor grammar, but to me that clearly states the reason McLean has been restricted to brief sub appearances is because he hasn't adapted to the system Farke wants to play. In actual fact, he has had a long-term injury and other players' excellent form has kept him out of the side.

Secondly, there is no way he played an advanced role today - from what I saw he was quite disciplined as a DM. Most of his play was in deep CM and covering for Lewis on the left.

4 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

currently coaching the Atlanta Silverbacks in the United States according to Wikipedia 

great goal scorer, never seemed to miss when one on one. Never smashed it, just waltzed round the keeper and a sidefoot.😀

great memories.

Just back.  Trybull MOM for me, but could have gone to anyone really.  Not a single mediocre performance.

Edited by Orly

Back home, broken open the wine...

Just buzzing from that performance, so fluent and smooth. Looked a class above.

shame about the penalty 😣

great to see Leitner in at the end we look so much better with him in midfield.

onwards & upwards!

2 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Really harsh buddy

Leitner and Tettey looked good when we won 4-0 at Sheff Weds. You may just as well say we looked good that day without McLean or Trybull.

I think we're lucky to have them all and I love how players wait for a chance and then make a real claim for the shirt 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Great bounce back win. Shame about the penalty, getting beyond the joke. I think it will come down to goal difference between us, Leeds, Sheff Utd and WBA. So tight at the top.

If we had converted just two of the missed penalties, we’d have the best goal difference in the Championship. Worth an hour or so of extra practice for two or three selected players surely?