Sign in to follow this  
breaker

Just Luck?

When Norwich City were top of the Premiership in 1993/4 Mike Walker was hailed a genius and the football we played was unbelievable. We had very few injuries that season and several players looked international class and there was an amazing team spirit - total belief. Just how many of that team were regarded as great players before that season, and how many went on to even greater heights? Very few.

When City were promoted two seasons ago players overperformed, great team spirit and few injuries.

Was Mike Walker a great manager or did he just get lucky with a group of players, many of them journeymen, who gelled for a couple of seasons?

Was Nigel Worthington a hero or did he just get lucky etc?

I know both of these managers made some decent buys (as well as some awful ones) and are both genuine men, but Walker has not done anything since that season and seems to have left football completely and Worthy will probably spend the next few years picking up jobs in the lower three divisions.

Maybe this season the luck NW has had just ran out, as it probably would have done for MW had he not left for Everton.

There are in fact very few managers who have succeeded more than they have failed at different clubs; Keegan, Hoddle, Bobby Robson are three that have and yet look at how many times they have been sacked (or walked away in Keegan''s case). We must accept that the next phase in Norwich City''s history will soon be upon us, for good or bad, and that we have not yet found our own Ferguson or Wenger. Maybe next time.......

I can''t but agree with you breaker and I always felt that Mike Walker''s seventeen months of fame was based on the team put together by Ken Brown and Dave Stringer. The Everton experience and his second spell at Carrow Road perhaps showed the man''s true worth.