Sign in to follow this  
ridgeman

Are referees above reproach

Week after week we see the officials, referees and assistant referees, make mistakes but no explanation as to why they make these  decisions and no repercussions for their mistakes. Gayle has now been banned for two games for deceiving an official but what of the referee as it appeared from all of the clips it was an obvious dive. Managers and players have to give interviews shortly after a game and if they say anything against the officials they face disciplinary action. 

Recently managers have claimed that officials have affected the result of a game. At Carrow Road we have seen some woeful refereeing recently and I feel in the recent local derby had the referee been stronger at the start of the game some of the later antics could have been avoided but the players knew they could get away with things and they did.

Surely referees should explain their decisions when controversial decisions are made and be held to account. Although Gayle has been banned the result of his dive gives WBA an extra point and deprives Forest of two.

I think we have to say they are above reproach. Ortherwise despite the decent earnings, many will shy way from the very top positions. I think that they ought to be miked up for TV but don't see how they might do it for non screened matches.

Nobody asked players to start diving at such an alarming rate. TV has to take some responsibility. It threw the money at the game and money has become the real god not trophies despite the pretence. Players can prattle on all they like about winning things but they wouldn't go to China if they meant it.

And now technology is scrutinising every decision when it is easy to be brave about criticising referees. However I haven't ever heard about Lineker, Hinchcliffe, Keown having a desire to become a referee.

I have always believed that the advent of full time professional referees has made them less inclined to give the correct decision always and the wealth to be earned may colour their judgement. For instance, Ferguson frightened the life out f them and got things to go his way.

I would like to see the FA adopt the idea of if referees are unsure then they put the player on report and an independent disciplinary panel review incidents later (I'll put my name forward if its a good earner).

And I don't think the current offside law does officials any favours. Comments like !his toe was just offside is bringing the game into disrepute than any fracas on the touchline at Carrow Road.

Can they review Grabban's dive v Brentford next? @ 1.10  He did the miss the PK, but nonetheless he was past the defender then threw himself to the ground; the reverse angle (not available here) was even clearer about what a blatant cheat that was.