TIL 1010

Dwight Gayle 2 Match Ban For Diving.

Agree football has to find away to cut this out - and selfishly of course it can only be good news 

3 minutes ago, Rhino1 said:

Agree football has to find away to cut this out - and selfishly of course it can only be good news 

Definitely good news, action on this kind of cheating is long overdue. Must confess though I'm a tad confused on the rules here - this kind of incident where the ref takes no action, or indeed takes the wrong action, are very common and we are frequently told that the FA cannot take action post match on the basis on video evidence if the ref saw the incident and dealt with it (even if wrongly!).

In Gayle's case the ref saw it and took (the wrong) action so in what way was this incident different from the many other examples you can see pretty much every week which don't attract any follow up?

10 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Definitely good news, action on this kind of cheating is long overdue. Must confess though I'm a tad confused on the rules here - this kind of incident where the ref takes no action, or indeed takes the wrong action, are very common and we are frequently told that the FA cannot take action post match on the basis on video evidence if the ref saw the incident and dealt with it (even if wrongly!).

In Gayle's case the ref saw it and took (the wrong) action so in what way was this incident different from the many other examples you can see pretty much every week which don't attract any follow up?

The first thing that springs to mind is the thug called Mings.

These rules are aimed at diving etc where the player is deliberately trying to con the ref. I think it’s fair to have special ability to punish that later. By definition the ref has seen it but has been conned into doing the wrong thing.

its different from Mings where what he did was nothing to do with conning the ref,

The inconsistencies between these rules are ridiculous.

But I must remember it's not the FA's fault if us thickos get confused.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

The inconsistencies between these rules are ridiculous.

But I must remember it's not the FA's fault if us thickos get confused.

Rools is rools

7 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Must confess though I'm a tad confused on the rules here - this kind of incident where the ref takes no action, or indeed takes the wrong action, are very common and we are frequently told that the FA cannot take action post match on the basis on video evidence if the ref saw the incident and dealt with it (even if wrongly!).

Laws introducing the power to retrospectively punish "clear acts of simulation" were introduced in May 2017.

A three-person Football Association review panel has to make a unanimous decision before any charge is made against a player.

Doesn`t help Forest though, a couple of minutes away from a good win and you`re cheated. I know if it had been against us, as a fan I would want more than that as some sort of "compensation". If Forest miss out on a play off spot by two points then Mr Gayle should hang his head in shame!!

Its all well and good him being banned but if WBA finish in second above us by 1 point then they have effectively won promotion by cheating! 

It's a contradiction to confirm that the goal was obtained by cheating and for the result to stand.

Forest should kick up the biggest of fusses and not let it drop.

Let's just hope that our own prospects are not adversely effected by this incident.

By just adopting the standard 2 match ban for Gayle the FA are dodging the main consequences of the incident.

They have effectively put their heads in the sand and seem unable to be brave enough to delve and treat the cheating with enough force to eradicate any repeat.

WBA must be laughing their socks off.

West Brom website:

Dwight Gayle has been suspended for two games by the Football Association after being found guilty of simulation in this week’s 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest.

The Club supports Dwight’s view that he was attempting to avoid anticipated challenges in the 89th-minute incident which led to a penalty award for Albion.

Although disappointed with the outcome, Albion have regrettably concluded any appeal would be fruitless.

Clever wording - enables them/him to say that they don't think he dived without further upsetting the FA.

12 hours ago, It's Character Forming said:

its different from Mings where what he did was nothing to do with conning the ref,

Did he not con the ref by claiming it was an accident?

Any other form of cheating ie play an unregistered player ect you would be deducted points. Unfortunately this bit of cheating has benefited WBA but has consequences for Leeds, Norwich, Sheffield United, Bristol, Derby and especially Forest. 

Dont forget this is the second point gained by WBA through cheating the Villa handball was not good either.

5 hours ago, Woodman said:

West Brom website:

Dwight Gayle has been suspended for two games by the Football Association after being found guilty of simulation in this week’s 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest.

The Club supports Dwight’s view that he was attempting to avoid anticipated challenges in the 89th-minute incident which led to a penalty award for Albion.

Although disappointed with the outcome, Albion have regrettably concluded any appeal would be fruitless.

Clever wording - enables them/him to say that they don't think he dived without further upsetting the FA.

Unfortunately, the rewards being what they are, WBA are just doing what anyone else would do, including us. Holty used to do the same thing all over the pitch, if you recall - we weren't too bothered then. 

I don't think Gayle's "dive" was any worse than any other, and I doubt this suspension will do any harm to WBA, on the basis he will be back, fresh and rearing to go for their games against Sheff Utd and Leeds. That might help us, but we have to win our games first.