Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

T&T - our L&G?

Farke has tried a few times now to use Tettey & Trybull together but wonder if like the old England problem of fitting Lampard & Gerrard into the same team, he now needs to forget this and use a different pairing.  For some reason this pairing has no balance and lacks complementary skills where and when it most matters; even though when played separately you would think it should work.  A strange one, but need to try something different when Vrancic or Leitner not available.

The L&G problem was much more about having to leave out one of your two best midfielders- I'd say the question of whether we can play Leitner and Vrancic is more of a Lampard/Gerrard equivalent.

For what it is worth I think they can play together, just the style of play has to change- maybe move Buendia more central, go a bit more direct at times etc etc. 

8 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Farke has tried a few times now to use Tettey & Trybull together but wonder if like the old England problem of fitting Lampard & Gerrard into the same team, he now needs to forget this and use a different pairing.  For some reason this pairing has no balance and lacks complementary skills where and when it most matters; even though when played separately you would think it should work.  A strange one, but need to try something different when Vrancic or Leitner not available.

In fairness to Farke, Tettey and Trybull were the best midfield partnership last season. But they were playing a different role in providing a solid platform for Maddison to do his thing.

Farke isn’t putting them together at the expense of others, this isn’t the first or second choice midfield for Norwich. McLean is the only person who may take umbrage with not starting, but he hasn’t done a 90 mins in any league game this season so fitness has to be a consideration. I did wonder if his appearance yesterday was to help build up fitness to start on Saturday. 

Yes T&T had an awesome record when they played together last season. Not so this season where were not reliant on one player, Maddison, to make the difference.

Tettey always seems to be the one people want to make way but for me he is the only one who does what he does for the team. 

Could we be effective with Leitner and Vrancic, surely our best two centremids?

I have my doubts. Trying to fit in all the most skillful players rarely makes the best team.

As Bethnal has said, Tettey and Trybull was very successful last season but that was during our run where we often packed men behind the ball and won a series of games primarily thanks to a breakaway goal or a piece of Maddison magic.

For me, the reason it is not working this season is two fold. The first is that the way we are playing relies on one of those holding midfielders being able to move the ball quickly to spread the play from the back. the second, which is really linked to the first is that teams have started to catch on that the way to play against us is a high press to try and win the ball back from our defensive midfielders high up the pitch. Teams like Preston have fit and quick players able to do this. Leitner and Vrancic have the game and the passing ability to play their way out of or through/around the press which often leads to us having fantastic counter attacking situations or have the composure not to give the ball away when placed under such pressure. Tettey and Trybull do not always have this and thus when we have the pair of them together and they are faced by a side applying a high press they will sometime panic and give the ball away. To be fair to them that's not their fault its simply not their strength. When we play one of them next to Vrancic or Leitner its less of an issue as they have an easy outlet but in combo they can get penned in and give the ball away. Thats my take on it anyway. 

• Like 2

It seems imperative that Leitner gets fit and becomes the main man in that two. I think Vrancic can play with him so we need him fit very quickly.

I didn't think T&T handled the pace and direct running of Preston's players last night. I must admit I have never been a Tettey fan as I don't think he is comfortable enough on the ball. Yes he tackles, not always to the referees satisfaction unfortunately. But do we really need a destroyer? Another Trevor Hockey?

Man City and Liverpool seem to rely on mobile and fit players to get into position and believe the ball will come back to them sooner rather than later.

I don't really believe defenders have the tacklers art in the modern game. It is just numbers. Hence a back four being protected by two players. Matic and Carrick, two modern exponents of the deep lying midfield player were deemed good enough to play CB when required. Our two full backs are the best tacklers in the team as they invariably face more one on ones.

Until Leitner is fit again and then Vrancic, I would prefer to see McLean/Tettey or McLean/Trybull as the two.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

It seems imperative that Leitner gets fit and becomes the main man in that two. I think Vrancic can play with him so we need him fit very quickly.

I didn't think T&T handled the pace and direct running of Preston's players last night. I must admit I have never been a Tettey fan as I don't think he is comfortable enough on the ball. Yes he tackles, not always to the referees satisfaction unfortunately. But do we really need a destroyer? Another Trevor Hockey?

Man City and Liverpool seem to rely on mobile and fit players to get into position and believe the ball will come back to them sooner rather than later.

I don't really believe defenders have the tacklers art in the modern game. It is just numbers. Hence a back four being protected by two players. Matic and Carrick, two modern exponents of the deep lying midfield player were deemed good enough to play CB when required. Our two full backs are the best tacklers in the team as they invariably face more one on ones.

Until Leitner is fit again and then Vrancic, I would prefer to see McLean/Tettey or McLean/Trybull as the two.

McLean/Trybull for me. Tettey seems off the pace, both last night and Sunday when he came on.

Without Vrancic or Leitner there is nobody else to adequately fill that roll.

Leitner back ASAP please.