Sign in to follow this  
Jack Barak

Bolton

So, having finally succumbed to a defeat does this give DF the 'opportunity' to make changes to starting eleven or do we mark it down as a blip and go again with the same team?

As mentioned on another thread, DF deserves great credit for sticking with players even when, seemingly, he has more experienced heads on the bench (Godfrey and Hanley spring to mind) but is this the time to bring some of those guys into the team and shore it up for Bolton?

Also, if Mo and Mario are out for the weekend and our deep lying options remain Trybull and Tettey should we consider a formation shift?

Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see Hanley come in at the back alongside CZ and Cantwell come in for  Hernandez.

I think the formation will be the same but we might see Maclean come in for Trybull. 

Godfrey’s ability to bring the ball out of defence and beat the first line of the opposition’s press is vital. Hanley and Zimmermann together just won’t work with the system Farke plays. 

If Farke wants Tettey and Trybull together he needs to change the system. They don’t have the passing ability to play out from the back. Norwich looked better when they switched to a back 3 as Buendia came more central and acted as a focal point. 

• Like 2

Godfrey was good. I thought Tettey and Trybull were both pretty poor in the centre of the park; too many easy passes going astray - one from Tettey which resulted in their initial free-kick and goal.

We missed Vrancic - he is a perfect fit away from home.

Our main problem post Rudd might be beating Remi Matthews!

Does he have something to prove as well?

32 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Godfrey’s ability to bring the ball out of defence and beat the first line of the opposition’s press is vital. Hanley and Zimmermann together just won’t work with the system Farke plays. 

If Farke wants Tettey and Trybull together he needs to change the system. They don’t have the passing ability to play out from the back. Norwich looked better when they switched to a back 3 as Buendia came more central and acted as a focal point. 

Do you think Buendia can play in the middle of the 4-1-4-1 formation? If so I'd be tempted to bring Cantwell in for Trybull and shift Emi into the middle.

I suspect though that we might see Rhodes from the start v Bolton- if we're not able to pass out from the back without Vrancic or Leitner then having his presence up top allows us to go a bit more direct and bring Marco and Pukki into play that way,

Don't think he'll drop Stiepermannm, we need his height - especially against Bolton and to give Krul the option from a long kick when we are unable to play out from the back.  I don't think Farke will panic about last night, but the defensive 2 midfielder system didn't work last night and I was confused by the change in system, Aarons, Lewis and Hernandez seemed to get in each other's way.

I want to see some energy from the start so would introduce Cantwell. Leitner in too at some stage.

I have a feeling we will want to put last night right in the first half.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, king canary said:

Do you think Buendia can play in the middle of the 4-1-4-1 formation? If so I'd be tempted to bring Cantwell in for Trybull and shift Emi into the middle.

I suspect though that we might see Rhodes from the start v Bolton- if we're not able to pass out from the back without Vrancic or Leitner then having his presence up top allows us to go a bit more direct and bring Marco and Pukki into play that way,

Buendia was played like a 10 last season and likes to be central. I guess it depends on how much he is expected to do defense. He is a precocious tackler, but might not have the discipline to track a man etc. Also his tackling in the box needs some work...

I have a feeling that Leitner will start on Saturday and Norwich will have their normal system. Farke’s comments didn’t suggest someone who is about to change things radically. 

If Leitner really isn’t fit enough, then the back 3 may appear again. When you look at the players available Norwich have three good centrebacks, so maybe good to get the best players Norwich have playing. 

Interesting to see what happens but Leitner or McLean coming in for Trybull is my guess. 

I would favour keeping Trybull and dropping Tettey.  When we played Trybull and Vrancic together Trybull was on the right side of the pair and played really well in those games.  As Tettey has come back he has had to switch to the left side, which makes him less effective IMO. 

It may be a case of Tettey taking longer to get up to speed,  he's  not getting any younger.  Was hoping Thompson would be taking some of the slack by now. 🙁

I think there's some expectation that Tettey would play like Vrancic. I think that was Trybull's role and it didn't work. We are very lucky to have both Leitner and Vrancic to choose from but very unlucky they are/have been unavailable at the same time.

• Like 1

The most successful midfield combination we've has this season was Leitner with Tettey, followed by Vrancic with Trybull, never Tettey with Trybull, so IMO we need to move away from the combination a.s.a.p. Hopefully Leitner will be available this weekend. 

I cant see the formation changing given the success it has brought us.  The key to the result though is at the back and we can not start so sloppily in defence again.  I cant see Klose quite being ready (or risked;  or perhaps my head is in  the sand as I dont know which of Zimm or Godfrey would make way) and while Hanley may be better aerially he isnt a patch on what either Zimmerman or Godfrey bring to the side overall.   They and the rest of the team simply need to be more determined for set pieces - I am putting those for 20 mins on weds down to a Derby day hangover / wake up call.  

For me T&T, while it was extremely successful last season,  is well down the list of options this year where the wealth of creative balls players is key to our surge up the table.    Hopefully Mo can make a return to both increase solidity (so few goals conceded when he partners Tettey there)  at the back and improve the rhythm going forward.

Steipermann is the curates egg for me;  well below his best in the last two games but his physical presence is missed if we start with say Kenny instead, as a high press on the keeper means a long outball is effectively ceding possession (some height in that area of the pitch is definitely a summer transfer need for me).  But given  the lack of alternatives he does start.

Mo alongside Tettey if he is fit,  if not McLean would be my next choice as the deep ball player.

• Like 3

So Tettey is injured, possible ligament damage. Steip and Bundia are doubts but not ruled out yet.  Leitner and Klose probably on the bench.

Not great at all. If all 3 are out I would think McLean, Cantwell and Passlack(?) come in.