Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

*****Official Match Thread v Preston*****

Come on now chaps no picking out individuals. It was an all round poor performance. It doesn't matter what we did in the second half, and how we outdid them on the stats. our stats against Ipswich were worse than theirs but we won 3-0. The first half performance, as a team was as poor as it has been for a long time. And even though we dominated the second half, I was amazed that we hardly bothered shooting from the edge. That is one tactic that makes teams come out at you.

A bit sad to see Rudd do what he did. And Aarons only pushed him over and Rudd goes down like he is shot when in fact he is a goalkeeper who dives at feet or throws himself through the air. Booking sufficient I think.

7 minutes ago, unique said:

Alex Neil showing plenty of class at the end.

Decent manager and an honest bloke is Alex, more than petulant Paul Lambert will ever be......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Pleased we got that goal, game was lost but we kept going and it could be crucial. 

I remember in the 01/02 season we made the playoffs by one goal- think we'd scored a late consolation v Bradford when we lost heavily that season that essentially made all the difference.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Very nice goal too

Playing in a mask after Mings trod on his face. "Wonderful goal from a brave fella" says the BBC website.

Two things are undermining what has otherwise been a fantastic season. Poor defending of set pieces and the inability to score penalties. Both played a major part in our downfall tonight. 

1 minute ago, Making Plans said:
How did we lose that?

Possession
Home40%
Away60%
Shots
Home11
Away21
Shots on Target
Home4
Away10
Corners
Home3
Away8
Fouls
Home13
Away13

Rudd. The missed penalty and only playing one half I think. Stats only give half a story at times ☹️

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

A bit sad to see Rudd do what he did. And Aarons only pushed him over and Rudd goes down like he is shot when in fact he is a goalkeeper who dives at feet or throws himself through the air. Booking sufficient I think.

For me, if that happens the other way round we're screaming for a red card- steaming into a keeper on one knee when he'd already got rid of the ball is asking for a red.

Just have to forget about this one....absolutely no luck whatsover tonight.

....but does raise the question of whether we should start with the 352 we played the second half with from the start vs Bolton and go at them

Or at least maybe have Heise on the bench if we did want to switch to that formation to play as a left wing back if required?

Much better second half, but we have to make changes defensively. I know they've done really well but some of the kids need a rest. If Klose is fit for Saturday he must start and, to be honest, I'd go with Hanley as well. 

First half attitude seemed wrong. Far better tempo to the second half and had we started the match that way we’d probably be coming away with a point. Maybe it was tiredness or maybe we turned up expecting to win. Either way hopefully lessons have be learned from it

Hats off to Preston – great performance and wish all their fans well except one, a former boss of mine, the most miserable I ever had!

2 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Maybe Neil Adams could coach the squad on how to take a decent penalty?.....

What about Daryl Sutch?

One of those games. Too many poor individual performances, and a shoddy pitch didn't help. Preston played with great energy and took their chances.

On a normal day we still would have been good enough for a draw, but you know when you miss another pen (and it wasn't as poor as some have been), have two cleared off the line and concede indirectly from a 40 yard strike it just isn't going to be your night.

Suck it up and move on. Could be all change again on Saturday.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

What about Daryl Sutch?

Adams never missed a penalty for us, when he played all those seasons ago.... 🙂

On to Bolton, this one is water under the bridge.

27 points needed, 14 games.

8 wins 3 draws 3 defeats.

eminently doable👍

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JF said:

First half attitude seemed wrong. Far better tempo to the second half and had we started the match that way we’d probably be coming away with a point. Maybe it was tiredness or maybe we turned up expecting to win. Either way hopefully lessons have be learned from it

Tiredness probably after a blood and guts derby, also missed the Vrancic/Leitner style midfielder, a calm an influential outlet.

slow start cost us but this was ideal game for some fresh legs after leeds and ipswich both very emotional games.

And now Bolton away again unchanged?

Its crazy we have 20+ very good players and evry 3 days we used same 11-12...

If we not win Bolton then we play 16 unbeaten Bristol who also is 9 wins in a row...

We can feel the heat soon...

1 minute ago, unique said:

At least The Tettey and Trybull combination should be dead and buried.

You would hope so. I don't know how far away from match fitness Leitner is. But if he's not ready for Bolton, McLean deserves a chance to start.