Sign in to follow this  
Harry53

Time for McLean tonight?

With super Mario out tonight I would like to see Kenny McLean in his place with Tom keeping his place. 

Anyone agree? 

• Like 1

Certainly would be good to see what McLean can do. For a tough away game my feeling is that Farke will go for Tettey and Trybull. And he could also move Emi into the middle and put Cantwell on the wing. 

I would like to see McClean alongside Trybull tonight just because I think we are at our best when we pass and move the ball quickly and I would rather have a passer in there who can come and get the ball off the defence. We started with those two against Pompey and looked very good until the Hanley sending off changed things (although even after that we still had the better of it).

If I had to bet I'd say its more likely to be Tettey and Trybull tonight with McClean coming in on Saturday when we should have more of the ball and therefore perhaps need a bit more creativity. I suppose at least Tettey and Trybull gives us a very solid base in midfield against a side I think will be buzzing and in what is going to be a very hard game.

It'll be the explosive combination of TNT.

Don't know why Kenny isn't getting a look in really. Must be something to it.

• Like 1

It will depend on how Farke sees Preston.

Tettey is a bit of a 'clogger' but does a superb defensive job, where I should imagine McLean is far more attack minded.

It may be a case of starting with Tettey to contain them looking to get a goal on the break rather than hit them hard early on then see Tettey on later to close the game down.

We shall se.... it won't be easy coming so soon after Sunday and a real test at Leeds.

I would like to see McLean , paired together with Trybull . But I also think that DF will go with Tettey / Trybull tonight , solidifying the midfield ...

We might lack some creativity in midfield though, making it harder to penetrate their defence imo.   ...

McLean will be brought into the action at some time during the game... but I'd rather see him starting tbh

McClean is perfect to come in for Vrancic tonight whilst Leitner is still being geared up for a return himself. McClean can roll his sleeves up and do the dirty work, but get forward and cause problems too - much like Vrancic funnily enough. So I would keep the balance of the team as close to the norm whilst we are doing so well. A no brainer for me - McClean starts.

Doubt McLean has the fitness to start a tough game against an in form Preston. Suspect Farke might look to bring him on if Norwich need a goal. 

I have raised question marks about Farke’s use of the squad in the past - he seems very much of the group of managers who want a core 14/15 man squad. This is understandable as he is coaching a very specific style that requires a lot of understand between players, but I do wish Farke would make better use of the bench to give fringe players some minutes and involvement. 

Yes would like to see KM but think DF may go somewhat conservative tonight. He knows this is a tough game.

Tettey may need to play to give us some height helping out the back four.  Otherwise outside 2 CB's we have no height except for Stiepermann.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Doubt McLean has the fitness to start a tough game against an in form Preston. Suspect Farke might look to bring him on if Norwich need a goal. 

I have raised question marks about Farke’s use of the squad in the past - he seems very much of the group of managers who want a core 14/15 man squad. This is understandable as he is coaching a very specific style that requires a lot of understand between players, but I do wish Farke would make better use of the bench to give fringe players some minutes and involvement. 

Being top of the league vindicates his decisions. Also there’s never any indication anyone in the squad is unhappy with how they see the team being selected. Yes of course they all want to play, particularly in a team that’s flying, but they must understand how well the current starting 11 is doing and, unless a major dip in performance, it’ll take an injury for a player to get into the team.

With KM, he’s been unfortunate with injuries and since being fit, has simply had players playing at the top of their game ahead of him. Don’t understand the constant comments about him needing game time or questioning what he’s done wrong to not get a game. Who would you have dropped to put him in? Vrancic, Buendia, Stiepermann? All pivotal to our success. I’m sure KM understands and if he does now get a chance with Vrancic and Leitner injured, he’ll push himself all the more to keep that place.

What will be intriguing will be who starts when both Leitner and Vrancic are fully fit, or Trybull and Tettey? Great problems to have.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Being top of the league vindicates his decisions. Also there’s never any indication anyone in the squad is unhappy with how they see the team being selected. Yes of course they all want to play, particularly in a team that’s flying, but they must understand how well the current starting 11 is doing and, unless a major dip in performance, it’ll take an injury for a player to get into the team.

With KM, he’s been unfortunate with injuries and since being fit, has simply had players playing at the top of their game ahead of him. Don’t understand the constant comments about him needing game time or questioning what he’s done wrong to not get a game. Who would you have dropped to put him in? Vrancic, Buendia, Stiepermann? All pivotal to our success. I’m sure KM understands and if he does now get a chance with Vrancic and Leitner injured, he’ll push himself all the more to keep that place.

What will be intriguing will be who starts when both Leitner and Vrancic are fully fit, or Trybull and Tettey? Great problems to have.

If the lack of rotation means Norwich will struggle due to injuries and back up players being unfit, or unfamiliar with the tactics, then it may backfire on Farke. Marshall grumbled about lack of time and left due to it. 

Working with a small squad is great, until they become fatigued or injured. Leicester did it when they won the league and it worked out, Sarri is trying it at Chelsea and after an initial good start it is going backwards. The same could be said for Bielsa. 

How Farke handles not having his first two choices for his midfield ‘progressor’ will be interesting. I’m nervous about a Tettey/Trybull midfield as it may not be able to move the ball as well, which is such a key part of Norwich’s success. Hopefully it will be nothing more that my jitters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Let’s not forget we did have a good run with the Tettey/Trybull pairing

Yes,  but in a very different system. They provide the defensive platform to allow Maddison to not have to worry about tracking back and staying in dangerous locations. 

Without Maddison the main source of creativity in the team has been either Leitner or Vrancic. 

• Like 1

Equally BYG and Frank, T&T didn't have Buendia, Hernandez or Stiepermann ahead of them last season to carry the ball forward in the way we have this season. Agreed, neither of them have the passing ability of Leitner or Vrancic, but I think we are far more threatening on the break, which I think could be in our favour this evening. 

We simply haven't seen enough of MacLean to know whether he can do the same role as Vrancic or Leitner, and I suspect Farke will stick to what he feels happy with, rather than take a risk.

I would expect Tettey and Trybull.

Farke's use of the squad has got us top of the league so far (way beyond expectations of anyone on this forum looking at our squad pre-season) - so i'm gonna make the massive assumption he's probably right.

Like the look of Mclean from the bits i've seen. With Vrancic and Leitner out it's a really good opportunity for him to try and stake a claim. 30 minutes of the bench perhaps tonight?

• Like 1

Would be surprised if he started with anybody other than T & T; I expect Cantwell would get in ahead of McLean at the moment anyway. 

Not sure Farke has had a huge amount of choice with regards to using a "reduced" pool of players given the injuries we've had so far this season.

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

Would be surprised if he started with anybody other than T & T; I expect Cantwell would get in ahead of McLean at the moment anyway. 

Not sure Farke has had a huge amount of choice with regards to using a "reduced" pool of players given the injuries we've had so far this season.

I can’t see how Cantwell would get picked as one of the central midfields. He has been used exclusively on the wings or the 10 position so far this season. 

I was under the impression KM is also more of a number 10/Stiepermann role. Can he even play in the "quarter back" role that MV and ML play, and even if he can I doubt he's done it regualrly at his previous cloubs? I'm pretty sure it'll be Tetty and Trybull for this reason...

2 minutes ago, Vazzza said:

I was under the impression KM is also more of a number 10/Stiepermann role. Can he even play in the "quarter back" role that MV and ML play, and even if he can I doubt he's done it regualrly at his previous cloubs? I'm pretty sure it'll be Tetty and Trybull for this reason...

He played both at Aberdeen. He said that he prefers the deeper position as he gets more time on the ball. 

He also did that role in the Portsmouth game, so I don’t have any doubt Farke feels he can play there. 

• Thanks 1

I would like to see McLean too, but wouldn't be unhappy if we start with Tettey and Trybull. At the end of the day, the beauty of continuing to win games means players like McLean have to wait for their chance. He'll definitely get some game time tonight though, I'm sure. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

If the lack of rotation means Norwich will struggle due to injuries and back up players being unfit, or unfamiliar with the tactics, then it may backfire on Farke. Marshall grumbled about lack of time and left due to it. 

Working with a small squad is great, until they become fatigued or injured. Leicester did it when they won the league and it worked out, Sarri is trying it at Chelsea and after an initial good start it is going backwards. The same could be said for Bielsa. 

How Farke handles not having his first two choices for his midfield ‘progressor’ will be interesting. I’m nervous about a Tettey/Trybull midfield as it may not be able to move the ball as well, which is such a key part of Norwich’s success. Hopefully it will be nothing more that my jitters. 

However, again, this lack of rotation has gotten us to the top of the league. Farke has changed it when forced to so we are still using the squad well and hopefully with Leitner back soon, the starting 11 will become perfectly balanced once more. You mention injuries, which all clubs get, but that has meant the squad has changed (been rotated) and whilst players are getting themselves fit, others have come and in and staked a claim for a starting place (Godfrey, Vrancic, Cantwell....).

One conclusion from this season for me is what fantastic depth in the squad we have, players knowing how to come into the system and often making the injured player unmissed.

Marshall didn’t fit into the system that started to work and therefore didn’t need changing. He wasn’t convincing as a right back so Aarons came in (not going to rotate him!), and we won’t drop Buendia or Hernandez as long as they’re fit (assuming he could even play those roles which we have to assume he wasn’t showing enough in training to be given a chance of even coming on). Unlucky yes, affecting our season by not being rotated into the team, no.

The one thing this squad, team and Farke has proved over this season is how to react to setbacks. Questions have been answered throughout the season and whilst nothing is guaranteed and things could still go wrong, there’s no doubt Farke has made the right decisions so far.

I think a lot of our recent play depends on quick closing down, then rapid turnovers using quick passes and turns. I'm not sure that Tettey has the skills for that but then he does just bring more defensive solidarity. Perhaps I should put some money on us winning 1-0.

Tettey did look off the pace against 1p5wich which worries me. 

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I can’t see how Cantwell would get picked as one of the central midfields. He has been used exclusively on the wings or the 10 position so far this season. 

Yes, it seems you're right. I'm sure I remember him coming on more centrally in several of the games he played but I could be mis-remembering.

Thought our midfield 5 were all off the pace against Ipswich, that may have been our poor performance for a while... hopefully so.   

Nothing wrong with some changes in a week of 3 games.      For both a rest and gametime, like to see Cantwell and McLean in for Steipermann and Hernandez and Godfrey holding with Trybull allowing Hanley to step in for a game.       Won't happen but who cares.... Farke knows best!